Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM

356 posts, read 703,075 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I may be moving to Honolulu for a six- to nine-month stay, probably starting in December or January. He would work in downtown Honolulu. We will probably have just one car, so it would be great if my husband could take public transportation (or walk or bike) some days so I could use the car. We have two well-behaved small dogs, no kids. (Yes, I'm well aware of the extensive requirements to bring dogs to Hawaii and that this will limit our rental options.) We prefer walkable areas near restaurants and shopping and access to parks/trails to walk the dogs.

Is Waikiki our best best, or are there other areas we should look into? I don't know our housing allowance yet, but have been assured it will be a decent amount. Where is the best place to look for short-term furnished rentals? Would it help to hire an agent?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by la_cavalière; 07-09-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post

My husband and I may be moving to Honolulu for a six- to nine-month stay, probably starting in December or January.

We have two well-behaved small dogs, no kids.

Where is the best place to look for short-term furnished rentals? Would it help to hire an agent?
Hawaii doesn't really have agents for looking for apartments like you see in Boston or New York.

You will likely have some significant challenges.

Check out craigslist and you can narrow down the search to furnished and pets to at least see what is on the market today - getting a landlord to agree to 6-9 months might be difficult.

Alternatively, you can look for a vacation rental (vrbo.com) - vacation rentals go for a premium rate but the likelihood of finding a vacation rental that isn't booked at all in December/January will be quite low as that is a very popular time (xmas/nye) and people book early - and, you need a long period of time where the unit is available.

Also, you might have to look at corporate housing such as Oakwood - but really pricey and will probably have availability issues as well.

Waikiki, Ala Moana, Kakaako, etc are all areas to look.

I'd put a "housing wanted" post on Craigslist and see if someone bites.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,298,706 times
You may want to re-think bringing the dogs.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
You may want to re-think bringing the dogs.

Furnished and short term lease are bigger issues. But, $$$$'s solve most problems

Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,870,932 times
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/sear...a?query=walina
Plan B for the dogs. Heart of Waikiki. They manage other buildings so I'd give a call a few months early. They can probably help with furniture. Every Sat. is bulk pick up in Waikiki so you can almost furnish a complete apt by "shopping" Fri nite. LOL. EZ bus to downtown & you have the beach, parks, & all the restaurants. Dont even need 1 car.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:50 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,219 times
Here is information on the bus schedules, and where you can pick up the monthly passes.
I rode the bus the first four years I live here on Oahu, when in the Navy. My Ship was gone so much, it made sense to not have a car and make payments, Car Loan and Insurance. Just to have my car sit on base. The Bus will take you most places around town, and Island. The Rail system is being built, manly out west into town. But they started building down around Kaka’ako last week. Should not affect you in Waikiki or down around Ala Moana area.

TheBus

TheBus - Fares & Passes

Old 07-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Thank you for the great info! I'm also looking on Homeaway and other vacation rental sites. Glad to see there are options out there and that the bus service is so extensive. Is Honolulu pretty bikeable?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Is Honolulu pretty bikeable?
Some people bike - but traffic is generally heavy and there are very few bike paths - it isn't considered a bike friendly city.

You'll need access to a shower at the destination - it is hot, can be humid - and you need to deal with passing rain showers.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,106,414 times
Quote:
Is Honolulu pretty bikeable?
If you live anywhere near South King Street (from downtown to UH Manoa), you can ride a bike in a safe, barricaded bike lane virtually all the way to and from work. It's basically an express way that's wide open even during peak rush hour. You can't get any more convenient than that.

The King Street cycle track opened recently so many people that visit aren't aware it even exists.

King Street Protected Bike Lane

And if you're the type that gets all sweaty when you put a little effort into cycling, buy an electric bike. You can buy one of these and ride without peddling at all (if you desire) for $850 shipped -

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...ic-bike#/story

Or one of these for under $800 shipped -

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...ic-28-mph-bike

When you move back either pay to ship the ebike home or put it on Craigslist for $700-$800. You'll sell it within 24 hours. Virtually free effortless transportation for your entire stay.

Last edited by pj737; 07-10-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM

An electric bike might be a great idea. It kinda seems like cheating, but it's better than arriving somewhere drenched in sweat. And I love the Cycle Track - we're getting one in our city, although not on a street I use. Hubby would be working just off S. King Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: