Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,083,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA2SA2HI View Post

So back to my question - - Does it sound like a place I would want to live?
$2,700 for a 3/2/2 in Hawaii Kai is cheap. I grew up in Hawaii Kai and have a ton of friends that live there, including that particular area where that house is - Mariner's Valley.

If you're looking for a community feel you'll get it in that area. There is a very large townhouse project directly across the street from Kamilo Iki Park that houses many middle income families (I lived there as an infant until we moved a few blocks down the valley into a SFH). It's popular with middle income families because it has a nice community pool, play ground and large park right across the street. Also, housing in that townhouse project is cheap - cheapest housing you'll find in Hawaii Kai. But that doesn't mean undesirable demographics. Most families there live there as an alternative to sending their kids to private school. Kamiloiki Elementary (where I attended) receives high marks and many families move to that area just so they can afford the best for their children.

The home you're looking at will share the community park with those people that live in that project and others in Mariner's Valley.

That house is going to be blazing hot. No ac + vaulted ceilings + no insulation + limited operable windows = 90-95 degree interior temps during the summer and no I'm not exaggerating. That part of Hawaii Kai is hot, dry and arid (similar climate to Ewa Beach). If your children are asthmatic or are sensitive to particulates in the air, you may want to reconsider that area. I have a family that had to move from a house one block away from the subject house because the vog gets really bad in that particular valley - when the air is still it just lingers.

Other reasons why it's cheap is it's dated and needs serious upgrading. Those cabinets and finishes are original. And it's carpet. It's also considered to be a more remote location in Hawaii Kai. Not as bad as Kalama Valley but it's still a pretty good drive just to pick up milk and bread.

I would have to agree with Viper. It's probably already taken or has a list of people that want it.

Last edited by pj737; 07-25-2015 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 AM

210 posts, read 249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Considering Hawaii Kai is 30% White - 45% Asian - and 19% mixed race, most would consider it fairly diverse.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Its not only racial mixx its also Income mixx. Dont underestimate the mind of an old fashioned anti business communist.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
$2,700 for a 3/2/2 in Hawaii Kai is cheap. I grew up in Hawaii Kai and have a ton of friends that live there, including that particular area where that house is - Mariner's Valley.

If you're looking for a community feel you'll get it in that area. There is a very large townhouse project directly across the street from Kamilo Iki Park that houses many middle income families (I lived there as an infant until we moved a few blocks down the valley into a SFH). It's popular with middle income families because it has a nice community pool, play ground and large park right across the street. Also, housing in that townhouse project is cheap - cheapest housing you'll find in Hawaii Kai. But that doesn't mean undesirable demographics. Most families there live there as an alternative to sending their kids to private school. Kamiloiki Elementary (where I attended) receives high marks and many families move to that area just so they can afford the best for their children.

The home you're looking at will share the community park with those people that live in that project and others in Mariner's Valley.

That house is going to be blazing hot. No ac + vaulted ceilings + no insulation + limited operable windows = 90-95 degree interior temps during the summer and no I'm not exaggerating. That part of Hawaii Kai is hot, dry and arid (similar climate to Ewa Beach). If your children are asthmatic or are sensitive to particulates in the air, you may want to reconsider that area. I have a family that had to move from a house one block away from the subject house because the vog gets really bad in that particular valley - when the air is still it just lingers.

Other reasons why it's cheap is it's dated and needs serious upgrading. Those cabinets and finishes are original. And it's carpet. It's also considered to be a more remote location in Hawaii Kai. Not as bad as Kalama Valley but it's still a pretty good drive just to pick up milk and bread.

I would have to agree with Viper. It's probably already taken or has a list of people that want it.
I disagree -if it were so desireable price would be higher. You get what you pay for really does work in Real Estate. I do agree , however,its probably the worst in a good area.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:43 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Other than Hawaii Kai, you could look at Kaneohe or Kailua. The commute up and over the Pali isn't too bad to get to downtown Honolulu. Manoa or Kaimuki might also be a good choice for a family.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:24 AM

Or rent a nice 2 bed apart or condo. 2 kids one room. They can deal with it..................hahahaha!

Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Other than Hawaii Kai, you could look at Kaneohe or Kailua. The commute up and over the Pali isn't too bad to get to downtown Honolulu. Manoa or Kaimuki might also be a good choice for a family.
If they think Hi Kai is expensive....dont even think about Manoa.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:51 AM

28 posts, read 33,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

Thank you. This is the exact kind of information I'm looking for. Where we live now is humid, so used to that, however we do have central a/c. I've been to various parts of HI and realize it's not common there. That said, 90 degree inside temps sounds brutal.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 AM

28 posts, read 33,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkieMcCain View Post
Or rent a nice 2 bed apart or condo. 2 kids one room. They can deal with it..................hahahaha!
You may think you're joking and this may be a realistic option for us! Ha!!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times
Quote:
Why is it undesireable? Hawaii Kai is not Kalihee, or Waimanlo, or Waianae, or Nanakulee................hahahaha! no offense to those who live in the forementioned.
None taken, except for your spelling

Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,083,266 times
Quote:
I disagree -if it were so desireable price would be higher. You get what you pay for really does work in Real Estate. I do agree , however,its probably the worst in a good area.
That makes no sense. Many landlords price their property above the market. Many landlords price their property below the market. And you get the average asking rent in the middle of the two - that's "market" rent. Some people get ripped off. Others enjoy great deals. That's just the way the rental market works.

My strategy has always been to rent well-maintained properties below market. I receive a much larger pool of tenants to choose from which ultimately allows me the luxury to go with higher quality tenants. This also usually translates into more appreciative tenants that don't nitpick every single tiny property deficiency. And when a tenant needs to move (family grows, move to mainland, etc) it commonly gets occupied by a family member or friend of that same tenant. There is zero vacancy and often very little effort that goes into addressing new move-ins.

It's a much less stressful way to live life. And it feels good knowing you have happy tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu