Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 PM

28 posts, read 33,452 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm here, on the island side of things, I'd like to follow up with my OP.

First: My family has been on the ground for 4 days exactly. In that time we've previewed 10 rentals in Hawaii Kai, all under 3500/month.

Are they glamorous? No. Are we renting one that I LOVE (a 3 BR condo) for 2600/month? Yes.

I expect both kids to start school and preschool, respectively, next week.

Things are expensive here, no doubt. I was mentally prepared for the housing situation (thanks to whtviper1); and as I suspected we were very desirable as renters with my husband's stability regarding income. Oh, and the fact that we actually have... a bank account. And credit. I've quickly learned the craziness that goes on here!

I also interviewed for and landed a job in Honolulu. I responded to an online ad last week before we were on the ground and was offered a job the same day of my interview. I realize this is likely not the norm and I got very lucky.

(*knocks on wood*)

So far, I think that this thread was GREAT preparation of what was to come. After crunching numbers I realize that we will live a very basic lifestyle for the next 2-3 years; and will hopefully learn to enjoy the simple things in life. I also feel like the move itself (while mostly funded by my husband's job) has done a number on our savings so far. The little expenses add up to become one big expense.

Overall: I would never have had the sanity to do this on our "own". I'm incredibly thankful for the opportunity and plan to make the best of it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and my preparation for a huge move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:48 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Perhaps you can share which condo complex is renting 3 bedroom places at $2,600/month. I know the townhouses on Kawaihai rent in that range.....

Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM

28 posts, read 33,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Perhaps you can share which condo complex is renting 3 bedroom places at $2,600/month. I know the townhouses on Kawaihai rent in that range.....
Hi. I am kind of privacy paranoid and would rather not pinpoint exactly where I'll be living. I will say that I don't think our place is technically considered Hawaii Kai real estate-wise (enough of a neighbor to be a 4 minute drive to the shopping center), but as long as it's within the school boundary of my choice, we're good (and it is).

I also looked at a 3 BR house in Hawaii Kai with a new kitchen and beautiful yard for 2800/month yesterday. It was nice (and stressful) to have an option.

The norm is definitely 3000-4000 for what I wanted (3/2) and we viewed a few houses, condos and TH in that range. Almost signed a lease for a 3 BR TH in Hawaii Kai for 3250/month until I realized that I enjoy saving money. It's not easy to find a deal that works for you (I was obsessive about it), but it's not impossible. We were prepared to move same day and had all necessary documentation ready to go.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:54 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Congratulations and welcome!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 PM

96 posts, read 112,818 times
Thank you for following up.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:24 PM

22 posts, read 31,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Aina View Post
Auwe!

You guys stay grumbling about talking pidgin, and da coming Malahine stay confused...like da modahratah said, try stay on topic laddat...no mek dis thread all hamajang...ass why hard!

K sistah...oh sorry...Alright Ms. moving to Hawaii will prove to be a challenge/change, but you seem to be more than willing to confront that situation (not that you have much choice) which is half the battle.

I use to live in Kalama Valley, (we now live in Texas and loving it!) it's a ridge south of Hawaii Kai, the weather there is similar to Ewa Beach/Kapolei...hot/dry and can get very windy in the valley as the windward winds come down the Koolau Mountain from Maka'puu beach.
It is far (well relative again) from Downtown if that's where your H will be working.
Traffic coming from that side of the island during the morning rush hour (never understood the "rush hour" thing...you can't rush in traffic) is bad, BUT not as bad as from the west side (Ewa Beach/Kapolei/Makakilo etc.) of the island.
Driving into town you will NOT be driving towards the sun, and coming home you will NOT be driving towards the sun, which is good in my opinion.

We are currently renting our house in Kalama Valley for $4k month, it has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms...2 of the bedrooms are master bedrooms with walk in closets and own bathrooms...the house is about 2,800 sf on a 8k sf lot and fenced, with 2 car garage.
As mentioned most if not all, the public schools will be similar, if you want really good education it will cost you $$$$ Punahou, Mid Pac, Hawaii Baptist. Iolani...and unless you are of Hawaiian genealogy, Kamehameha Schools.

I have also lived in Mililani and Wahiawa, these two towns are located as mentioned by viper in the plains between the Koolau and Waianae mountain ranges. It does get cooler in these towns, Wahiawa the coolest as it sits approx 2,000' above sea level. However, these towns are further from town, and the H2/H1 inter-change will be a bottle neck causing major traffic...there is an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) called the "Zipper" lane, but if there's and accident in that lane or if the Zipper mobile breaks down, it becomes a "Velcro" land and you're stuck/parked on a not so freeway.

As for Kaneohe/Kailua, I was born and raised there...located on the windward side of the island, and there are 3 highways/tunnels going into town, but still there will be major traffic...however, it does make for a very nice scenic drive...no private schools on that side of the island.

Over-all Oahu is like any other place...it's a mix plate (diverse) of ethnic groups with Asian (Japanese) having the largest piece of the pie.
However, there can be racial problems as the Hawaiians are trying to get back their Kingdom which was taken from them...in my opinion it is best that the USA took it, if not it would have been some other country and they (Hawaiians) would not be able to voice their opinions or even had Hawaiian Homestead land..sorry going off course here.

Either way, E Komomai (welcome) to Hawaii...the beaches are fantastic, but you must respect the ocean...never turn your back on the waves.
Who knows, you may really like it here and decide to stay beyond your 3 year stint.

So no worry beef curry, cuz going be all good laddat ef you stay humble and no grumble...just remembah...Makaha is nice and free, and it no mattah ef you lock your doors, da boys goin still scoah! (lyrics from the Makaha Sons of Niihau song Freedom of Makaha)

Aloha No!
Mahalo nui loa!! Great post!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu