Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,527,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Please. Hawaii is one of the most racially tolerant places on the planet.
lol you not hawaiian walking in kailua... Haole's get mad when Hawaiian's encroach. on "their space"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,527,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
In Hawaiʻi, racism is sanctioned, endorsed, and promoted by the government via institutions such as the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) and its subcontractors.
The Hawaii Independent: OHA pushes forward with Nai Aupuni despite concerns
http://naiaupuni.org/docs/NewsReleas...ate-083115.pdf
great post....

here is more on the topic..

Quote:
The legal basis for the establishment of the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL) is the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920, as amended (HHCA). Passed by Congress and signed into law by President Warren Harding on July 9, 1921 (chapter 42, 42 Stat. 108), the HHCA provides for the rehabilitation of the native Hawaiian people through a government-sponsored homesteading program. Native Hawaiians are defined as individuals having at least 50 percent Hawaiian blood.

Department of Hawaiian Home Lands | Hawaiian Homes Commission Act

Old 11-01-2015, 10:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
lol you not hawaiian walking in kailua...
Really???

At over 20% of the population, Kailua on Oahu represents more than double the average Native Hawaiian population for other communities.

Unless you are suggesting Native Hawaiians don't like other Native Hawaiians in Kailua - then that is a different discussion.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:16 AM

42 posts, read 53,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Really???

At over 20% of the population, Kailua on Oahu represents more than double the average Native Hawaiian population for other communities.

Unless you are suggesting Native Hawaiians don't like other Native Hawaiians in Kailua - then that is a different discussion.
Aloha Mr Whtviper1, Please check your stats.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:36 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,970 times
Wink yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkieMcCain View Post
If this post doesnt qualify as Racist nothing can be!
OP's really not with it. I'm thinkin' to much pokololo...
K

Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
OP's really not with it. I'm thinkin' to much pokololo...
K

PLEASE,,,,,, it's PAKALOLO. Things are confusing enough as it is

Old 11-02-2015, 03:12 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,201,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTS2015 View Post
From everything I can read, Oahu island in minority majority with other Hawaiian islands less being the case. Has anyone found this to be causing any issue or friction? Here on mainland, racism is mostly not overt. I would guesstimate it's probably the same on Oahu most times.

37 years ago the anti-whitey sentiment was alive and well and "kill Haole" day was very much "celebrated". I'm confident that hasn't changed on Oahu.....the big island seemed to be the most friendly....relatively speaking....kind of funny watching the influx of Asians who are driving the locals crazy with their ambitions and cash.....and all this time they were afraid of the whites! Hah.....

This time, Japan took it over and never fired a shot....

Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM

601 posts, read 1,443,538 times
Funny, I walked into a store in Waikiki and was greeted in Japanese.

And I'm Mainland Filipino-American but look local, get the "local discount" too!

Shoots!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,201,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
lol you not hawaiian walking in kailua... Haole's get mad when Hawaiian's encroach. on "their space"
If it weren't for the myriad of set asides for Hawaiians, many would be fat bloated whales basking on a beach. Unemployment is what, 5k a month now? Preferential treatment for guvmint' jobs and open discrimination against whites in the workforce. It was that way 37 years ago and still pervades today...braddduh.

Beautiful place to visit just don't stay too long. The japs have taken it over which frankly, is an improvement. It's not he friendliest place on earth and no one should think it is. Not for a second. We used to attend classes on base about keeping a low profile which most did if they had half a brain. Some didn't and were beat to a pulp.

Those that were stationed at Pearl a harbor had to be particularly careful. In 1980 some Hawaiian youth boarded a bus, threw acid in a sailors face and nooooooo one came forth when the cops came. No witnesses if you will. Another time they fashioned a crude mace using a baseball bat with nails driven through it and beat another sailor half to death and severely hurt another. Aeai, and other areas west are not friendly.

The only thing that turned that around was the island was locked down for a month. No one could leave any base. That starvation of cash usually sucked in on the 15th and the 30th (military paydays) calmed things a bit and who knows, maybe some moke had to sit down and watch tv for awhile.

That was quite some time ago. My guess now is the Japanese have to deal with "the locals" and have probably developeda disdain for them as well. Can't imagine how the Hawaiians would do if they could no longer discriminate as openly as they do. That and kill all their federal set asides. Wouldn't be pretty.

No, it's not all that friendly and for the two years I lived there, I kept a very low profile and never had an incident with them. Never developed an friendships with them and I did try. A friend married one in Kaneohe and her entire family was living on the dole. They made out fine. My guess was they were selling weed for extra cash through him and between the two lived a moderate life of leisure.

Kaneohe was actually easier. Kailua had a fair share of military retirees. Kaneohe MCAS has one of the nicest beaches on the island and great night diving. Beats Honolulu.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 PM

601 posts, read 1,443,538 times
I have to admit, my encounters with Japanese tourists (around Haleiwa) were less than friendly. They DO look down on you, and can be pretty snotty and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu