Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 12,287 times

Advertisements

How many National Merit Semi Finalists (2016) did Hawaii public schools produce? Punahou lists 21, Iolani 19, but I am curious how many are from public schools. I know Hawaii's total was 66.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I suspect 26 or less.......

Old 09-17-2015, 04:42 AM

Thank you. 66 - 40 does equal 26. Even after graduating from a Hawaii public school, I was able to calculate that one.

I live on the mainland and the school districts issue press releases announcing their NMSFs. Those press releases then become part of the public record free for anybody to read. Hawaii's DOE does not issue a press release, so there is no free source for that information. For the past 6 years, I have emailed the DOE asking for a count by public school, and my request is ignored every year.

Yes. The information is available on the Hawaii Advertiser's website behind its pay wall, but I should not have to pay for that kind of infrmation. I pay enough excise tax on my property in Honolulu to support Hawaii's public schools that a simple list of high achieving public school students should be made available to everybody for free.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Thank you. 66 - 40 does equal 26. Even after graduating from a Hawaii public school, I was able to calculate that one.

I live on the mainland and the school districts issue press releases announcing their NMSFs. Those press releases then become part of the public record free for anybody to read. Hawaii's DOE does not issue a press release, so there is no free source for that information. For the past 6 years, I have emailed the DOE asking for a count by public school, and my request is ignored every year.

Yes. The information is available on the Hawaii Advertiser's website behind its pay wall, but I should not have to pay for that kind of infrmation. I pay enough excise tax on my property in Honolulu to support Hawaii's public schools that a simple list of high achieving public school students should be made available to everybody for free.
Here are the numbers (with the public schools in bold):

Damien - 1
Hawaiʻi Baptist Academy - 1
ʻIolani - 19
Kaiser - 1
Kalani - 2
Kamehameha (Kapalama) - 2
McKinley - 1
Mid-Pac - 1
Punahou - 21
Roosevelt - 2
Sacred Hearts - 1
St. Andrew's - 1
University Laboratory School - 1
"Home-schooled" - 1
Le Jardin - 1
Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy - 3
Parker School - 1
Island School (Kauaʻi) - 1
King Kekaulike High School - 1
Mililani - 3
Baldwin - 1

Of the 66, only 12 come from Hawaiʻi public schools.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of the 66, only 12 come from Hawaiʻi public schools.
12 more than I thought

Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
hln

14 posts, read 29,727 times
Like most organizations, DOE doesn't issue press releases that make them look bad. On the other hand, comparing your average school to Iolani or Punahou is not a fair comparison. Those are elite schools, among the top in the country.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
12 more than I thought
Considering the public schools in Hawaiʻi, they're fortunate to have that many.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Thank you for the data. Understand that it is not a fair or valid comparison, but my local public high school had 16 NMSFs out of a population of about 2000 students. To me, the factoid that all Hawaii public schools in Hawaii combined generate fewer NMSFs than the 1 high school down block is sad for Hawaii and good for my kids.

The quality of Hawaii's public school system is a very popular topic when people find out I am from Hawaii. I really try to stay positive, but I share my opinion. When I ask what they have heard, it echoes the common perceptions of those who have seen it firsthand. Much of the feedback is from family and friends in the military who were stationed there.

My family has been in Hawaii for 5 generations, and with a few exceptions, we are all public school graduates. I have passed on 6 opportunities to stay or move back to Hawaii over the last 30 years. Cost of living and education have always been the reasons why I do not live there anymore.

Every few years when a position opens in Hawaii, I am specifically asked if I would like to volunteer, and I decline. Prospective candidates come to me asking for advice, and I try to frame the pros and cons. Want them to make a decision not just based on the fantasy of a life in Hawaii.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Default How many in 2017?

Same question from a year ago? How many Hawaii public school students were National Merit Semi Finalists?

Once again, the Hawaii DOE has not responded to my email or snail mail letter.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 PM

66 total in 2017. 27 from Punahou alone. Can't find the DOE list / doubt they want to talk about it. 12 are from Iolani.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu