Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,004 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Aiea in June. I'm trying to find the most economical way to get my stuff from here to there. Seems like it'll be at least $3,000.00 for 400 cubic feet. Any suggestions? Also, I have an 8 year old and a 15 year old. I understand that Alva Scott Elementary and Aiea HS are not the best...any idea on how to get them into a better school? Last thing...Here I worked as an escrow officer til the market soured. Are there openings on Oahu?

Mahalo for your time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM

501 posts, read 1,185,587 times
Hi there...I used to live in Aiea at Lele Pono Condos back in 2005 before moving back to the mainland. We rented a small, 730 sq ft 2/2 for $1500/mo. It was quite a difference from what we moved from while here on the mainland...

You might want to check with Matson or Yellow Freight regarding shipping your items, unless you decide to ship via Fedex or UPS. If you go postal, it will take about 6 -10 weeks to arrive, and may get lost. When we moved over there, we shipped our vehicle with Matson for $1,000 and Fedex'd our items as single box shipments, which was really expensive. Coming back to the mainland, we again used Matson for the same cost, and shipped with Yellow Frieght. They base on weight and pallets. We had 3 pallets and it ran about $2800. Sorry, but I don't remember the weight, but we had about 100 copy paper sized boxes total. You can find both of these companies on the web for more info.

Regarding a job...I worked at Title Guaranty of Hawaii, as an Escrow Processor. They're on Queen Street, downtown Honolulu. You can find them on the web. When I worked there, they were always hiring! It's a family owned business, but very friendly to mainlanders, which was helpful, because you're always competing with islanders to get a job. You might want to be prepared not to make alot of money...most people who lived there had 3 or 4 jobs to "make ends meet". We had to make a LOT of adjustments to survive, and if we didn't get transferred back to the mainland, we would definitely have stayed!

Good Luck!

Feel free to PM me if you'd like....

Last edited by from nv; 02-01-2008 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: to add to message

Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 AM

28 posts, read 109,046 times
I found the cheapest route was to mail boxes over...we sold everything here first and just mailed clothes, momentos etc. shipped our cars thru horizon (they cover the vehicles) some shippers don't. You will not need much in Hawaii... slippahs and shorts are your daily staple!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,004 times
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: