Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times

Advertisements

I was just chatting with a friend yesterday and he says he's the one who found the stolen bell. He was having lunch under a tree and was reading the paper about the bell and there it was in the weeds by the tree. He said a tarp was behind it, perhaps it had been stashed or thrown out since after the newspaper article it became too "hot" to sell as scrap. He didn't have time to wait for anyone to arrive to pick the bell up, but he called a local plantation museum who in turn called the police, I think. He was not mentioned by name in the newspaper and he wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, although he seemed to think the museum should have gotten some credit at least. In any case, the bell has been found and returned to the hongwanji. Good thing for the thieves, can you imagine the karma involved in that sort of act?

New article on homelessness on Oahu: Homelessness in Hawaii grows, defying image of paradise

IMHO, I don't think homelessness has changed much over the decades except by volume. Now that Micronesians can move here to Hawaii as of the past few years, a large segment of the homeless are Micronesians.

I see a lot of them at yard sales, too, buying things they probably can't afford otherwise, although I've also known of some of them who were buying things to ship to Micronesia. The non-homeless ones seem to live in multiple families per house and frequently I'll see large groups in vans. They have such nice embroidery on their skirts, so I generally notice them. I'm surprised that style of skirt hasn't become popular since it's pretty.

As I see it, there are multiple reasons for the current volume of homelessness as well as homelessness in general. In no particular order:

1. City Planning. There's not much zoning for what used to be called boarding houses, or rooming houses. The Building Code assumes everyone is going to live in a fairly sizable house and have separate bathing and eating facilities. A lot of these types of rentals disappeared when they let a lot of the folks out of the mental institutions when Reagan was president. I think it was Reagan, anyway. With too many crazy people in one spot, it got to where running a boarding house wasn't worth the effort anymore.

2. Cost of housing. It's a sheer supply and demand sort of thing and there's more folks who want to live in Hawaii than there are houses for them to live in. Cost of rentals goes up, the ones on the lower end get tossed out.

3. There's also a lot more computers involved in rentals these days, too. Background checks, employment checks, etc., etc. Folks who haven't been part of the system aren't going to have a credit score. This is also keeping folks from finding employment sometimes, too.

4. Section 8 rules and regulations. We had a house to rent earlier this year and about 30-40% of the inquiries were if we would accept Section 8. Some of them were Section 8 holders from the mainland. We had about sixty inquiries about the rental overall, three or five of them were from mainland people, at least two of those were Section 8 mainland people. Looking into how Section 8 handles rentals, there's no way we would ever rent to a Section 8 renter and it's not because of the renters but because of the way Section 8 is set up. Your house has to be pre-approved to be a Section 8 rental and that can take months. Then, if something becomes wrong with the house - even if the renter does it themselves - you won't get paid and the renter doesn't have to kick in for their portion until whatever it is has been fixed AND Section 8 has come out to approve the repair. Which from what I've heard, can take months. So, there's a lot of folks who might consider renting to Section 8 but won't because of the rules.

5. Decreasing sizes of Hawaii houses & apartments. It used to be that in order to afford rents, folks would share houses. Either multi-generational or multi-family. Now the physical size of houses is decreasing to where you just can't cram enough employable people into them to afford them. A lot of the homeless have jobs, but they don't make enough to pay rent. There's loads of families which have a house only because both parents are working more than one job.

6. Folks not buying into the typical "American Dream". When logically looking at the amount of effort necessary to rent a house in Hawaii, why would anyone want to? If they can find a hidey hole somewhere to sleep and stash a few personal things, that will save more money each month than most of them can hope to make in a month. The apartments they can afford (maybe) are not nice ones. So work hard and live in a miserable place or be homeless?

7. A lot of them have dependents they are caring for, so not only are they having to provide for themselves, but for children or elders as well. I've known several kids who grew up homeless on the beach. They're working hard not now as adults and they have distanced themselves from their families since they had dysfunctional families in more ways than not being able to afford housing. But when renting a room or apartment, it's harder for folks with dependents since they need more space and have less folks working in the household.

8. Alcoholism, drugs, poor education, and the myriad other reasons for not being employable. Generally, no employment = no income = no housing.

9. More rules and regulations for folks (churches, institutions, etc.) who want to help the homeless. Each time an outreach program shuts down, that puts more pressure on the governmental agencies which are already over stressed.

I'm sure there's a lot more reasons for homelessness, too. Although these are just generalities, there's probably a different story for each homeless person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 02:27 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,963,170 times
Good post Hotzcat. Thank you for the article by Cathy Bussewitz.

I agree there are many different situations regarding the homeless.

What bothers me is how they are suppose to be invisible. When I saw the city coming in and bulldozing the homeless area I thought the logic must be "out of sight, out of mind". The population of people that live on the street exists. So they come in and throw what little people had in the trash...where are those people going now?

In the article it states the city is "Honolulu spends $15,000 a week to sweep away the camps."

There is no logic to what is happening.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 11-08-2015 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: brain farts

Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What bothers me is how they are suppose to be invisible.
If you are going to choose to be homeless - it isn't terribly difficult on Oahu to live on the streets where you won't be hassled. Waianae comes immediately to mind. Even Sand Island.

If you are going to hangout near Downtown, Waikiki, Windward, or the East Side, you will eventually feel the consequences of your actions.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,963,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you are going to choose to be homeless - it isn't terribly difficult on Oahu to live on the streets where you won't be hassled. Waianae comes immediately to mind. Even Sand Island.

If you are going to hangout near Downtown, Waikiki, Windward, or the East Side, you will eventually feel the consequences of your actions.

Ok, this is pertaining to people that "choose to be homeless". I'm not familiar with the areas. Doing a google search it does appear to be isolated. Isolated areas might not be as safe for women especially. Being in town would be safer or in larger groups of like individuals. Without being there and experiencing it myself it is purely conjecture.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,083,266 times
We just made top headline on Fox News for having the highest homeless rate in the nation.

Homelessness in Hawaii grows, defying image of paradise | Fox News

Yes, it's biased right-wing Fox News... but they have an incredibly large viewer base.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Saw the Mayor on Hawaii News Now this morning 11/9 and he mentioned specifically relocating more homeless to Waianae and Sand Island...

Perhaps he consulted post 33 before heading on air.......

Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,224,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Saw the Mayor on Hawaii News Now this morning 11/9 and he mentioned specifically relocating more homeless to Waianae and Sand Island...

Perhaps he consulted post 33 before heading on air.......
Nope. Caldwell's been talking about relocating homeless folks to Waiʻanae and Sand Island for the last several months.
Caldwell outlines Sand Island emergency homeless camp - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Homeless Waianae families interested in city plan, but can they afford rent? | KHON2

Old 11-10-2015, 12:52 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,228,997 times
It all comes down to. Do the homeless WANT to get off the streets? Some do.
If they do not. You could move them to any shelter, but sooner than later they will be on the streets again.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM

28 posts, read 33,227 times
I've never been homeless; nor have I lived in HI (yet). That said, I have lived 4 adults to a 3 BR in the DC area on the mainland, working 3 concurrent low-income jobs, with my fancy degree in tow. I know what it's like to have motivation not to be in such a situation. I've also seen firsthand what it's like not to have that drive. This is a very complex social issue that I can't begin to feel qualified enough to discuss.

But, this:

"...a couple from Canada dipped into their savings to buy one-way tickets to Honolulu and showed up at IHS’ family shelter with their two children."

Are you kidding me?! I am panicked to bring my children there (with our 6-figure income) and I am wondering on what planet someone determines that rolling up with nothing is a good idea. This annoys me, more than it should.

I follow this guy over on Instagram who shows the "real" Hawaii. I am seriously terrified to bring my children around what he posts in the videos.

Will it be a bad experience? I hope not. Probably not. But this is just an illustration of forward thinking vs. what is being reported in the article.

I can assure you that if we weren't being sent there you would have 4 less people about to occupy the living space on the island. Yet people flock there with nothing assuming it will be paradise. I don't get it.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:45 PM

133 posts, read 180,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA2SA2HI View Post
I follow this guy over on Instagram who shows the "real" Hawaii. I am seriously terrified to bring my children around what he posts in the videos.
What's the instagram name? I'd be interested to see what "real" Hawaii is depicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu