Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:04 AM

9 posts, read 11,319 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm seriously considering moving my large, multigenerational family to Hawaii, and may have a great professional job offer soon (close to $100,000).

From what I'm learning, that still is not enough to get by, but I want to test my optimism, knowing my adult children will get jobs (and have online businesses already, although they only make a couple of hundred a month), my husband wants to run his food truck, and we've survived on much less in another expensive part of the country. We plan to live closer to the Northern Shore and I'll take the long commute to Honolulu every day (by bus or car, depending on the day.) We plan to grow food as well as pool together and cook most meals together, going out every once in a blue moon. The kids will go to public school and get extra learning at home. We love movies but do the Netflix/Hulu on the projector thing, party at home usually, and love the beach and BBQing. We'd like to all pitch in to rent a house with at least 4 bedrooms (will $4,500-$5,000 a month get that there?) If that's impossible, then to get 3 apartments near each other and do some container gardening, etc. Then later to buy, when credit is better and we're sure where we'd want to settle. We're a fun family, like to volunteer in the community, and entertain ourselves, but occasionally (like twice a year or so) we'd like to go out to a concert, see a ProBowl, catch Cirque de Soleil or something in the city. Please feel welcome to comment on my dreaming/plans.

My questions:

1. How are the prices and the inventory at the thrift shops on Oahu? For example, how much for a pair of jeans? (Do they have .99 clothing sales?) How much for a used vacuum? Toys? A decent pot?

2. Are the items at the Dollar Store (like Dollar Tree) useable, or are they mostly kitschy junk like I've seen at some random dollar stores? Do they sell food there?

3. What are the major problems with growing one's own food on Oahu? Any advice on container gardening, getting soil and/or seeds from Home Depot, etc.? What about chickens, etc.?

4. How are used car sales there, through Craigslist or otherwise? Easily done or too shady?

5. How much per pound is chicken? A 5 lb chub of hamburger? 16 oz box of pasta? 25 lbs of rice?

6. Vegetables are so expensive where I am. How much is a pound of tomatoes? carrots? potatoes?

We want to move to Hawaii because of its multiculturalism, the beaches and its weather, and because it's still the USA.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:51 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
No suggestions
except google homeless in Hawaii or on Oahu. Look like fun? No Dollar stores, no Dollar General

Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I used to shop thrift stores when I was young..... honestly, I can get new at Ross for about the same price. All the Dollar Stores closed down.

The commute to Honolulu will be about 3.5 hours round trip? I'm guessing on that one. My main problem with gardening has been pests, various molds, fungis....

You can look on Craigslist to see the price of cars.

Food can vary depending on a lot. CostCo is the best price. Check online ads to take a look.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-30-2015, 09:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
except google homeless in Hawaii or on Oahu. Look like fun? No Dollar stores, no Dollar General
Good Advice.

Plenty of places on the mainland that has "multiculturalism" that you can potentially afford rather than a place you definitely can't afford.

Your challenge with growing things on Oahu - actually owning enough land to make it worthwhile.

Dollar Stores? Ha ha.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 AM

You are so right about Ross, and some of the other outlet stores, for many items.

As far as "googling homelessness", even with at least four adults working?? Really? That would be closing in on $200,000 a year. That's not enough for Hawaii??

Another question: Can you buy wholesale and have food shipped in yourself without too much hassle?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM

This seems to be a helpful thread, and more responses like these would also help a lot, please:

Thrift Stores, Garage Sales and Asian Markets on Oahu?

As for multiculturalism, lately a lot of those "other areas" known for it are experiencing unwarranted police brutality, a new resurgence of racism directed at our children, and low expectations based only on the color of the child's skin. That's everywhere, but it would be nice to give my kids somewhat of a break from being called names on the bus or worry about being shot by a cop just for walking down the street, and for them to see as much diversity on the streets and in the stores as they do when family friends come to visit. A lot of my friends are from all over: Japan, Chuuk Islands, Africa, France, Hawaii, Germany, Mexico, Ukraine, Puerto Rico, and the kids are used to that. Then they get on the bus and hear stupid statements like "All Black people are dumb" and ignorant comments about Asians and rice, get passed over by administrators in school for college prep activities with no notice that the activities even exist, etc. Along with getting out of the snow, it would be nice to live where more people look like us, where if we're struggling (and at over $150,000 a year, we can't make it??), we at least can pay our bills and still hit the beach together, etc. I have a very educated skillset in perpetual demand, and my techie kids are thinking of online businesses and going into real estate, with a commitment to give back some of their profits regularly to charities that address homelessness (especially regarding Native Hawaiian families) and education. I'd like some real and thoughtful perspectives on this. Thanks so much so far. More, please.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs down wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
No suggestions
that was pretty snarky. Very helpful...very helpful...
Koale

Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyChama View Post
As far as "googling homelessness", even with at least four adults working?? Really? That would be closing in on $200,000 a year. That's not enough for Hawaii??
I've got some time before my flight - lets dissect this a little bit closer.

First, in your initial post - you didn't say 4 adults "closing in on" $200,000 a year.

You did say:

Quote:

I'm seriously considering moving my large, multigenerational family to Hawaii, and may have a great professional job offer soon (close to $100,000).

From what I'm learning, that still is not enough to get by, but I want to test my optimism, knowing my adult children will get jobs (and have online businesses already, although they only make a couple of hundred a month), my husband wants to run his food truck
So, we seem to fall short of the $200,000 a year by quite a bit unless the husband has the most phenomenal food truck on Oahu.

How many aren't working?

You also said:

Quote:

We'd like to all pitch in to rent a house with at least 4 bedrooms (will $4,500-$5,000 a month get that there?) If that's impossible, then to get 3 apartments near each other and do some container gardening, etc. Then later to buy, when credit is better and we're sure where we'd want to settle.
Whom do you think is going to rent a $4,500-$5,000/month house to you on a sub $100K income with kids making "a couple of hundred a month" and a food truck income? Hint: Nobody

3 apartment near each other? Where?? Not the North Shore. Gardening?? At apartments? Gardening? At a single family home? Maybe buy some plants and grow some herbs - you aren't exactly going to find landlords who are going to let you "farm" on Oahu.

Buy when your credit is better??? If your credit isn't great now - what makes you believe you can rent a $4,000+ house or "3 apartments"

And this gem:

Quote:
As for multiculturalism, lately a lot of those "other areas" known for it are experiencing unwarranted police brutality, a new resurgence of racism directed at our children, and low expectations based only on the color of the child's skin. That's everywhere, but it would be nice to give my kids somewhat of a break from being called names on the bus or worry about being shot by a cop just for walking down the street, and for them to see as much diversity on the streets and in the stores as they do when family friends come to visit. .
Hmmmm, what makes you think this utopia of Hawaii will mean the newcomer kids aren't going to be called names?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
You can probably swing it, but I think you should look into things like commute times and food truck laws here first. If I knew, I would tell you.

There is racism here, there will be anywhere. If your "tinted" you will fit in well.

I found growing vegetables here to be like a full time job, every time I turned my back something new was attacking, but it may have been my area.

You will need to take an objective look at what your life will be like here, and not romanticize it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Let's dissect your reply, since you took the time to answer (thank you, even though your tone is sarcastic. I do appreciate it):

1. If you read carefully, you would see that I said the adults would get jobs in addition to their current income. Multiply even a dinky job x at least 3 skilled adults + my $100,000 and you get close to $200,000. Again, just math.

2. A lot can be done without perfect credit in this world. Thank goodness, because many good people have less than stellar credit and are still responsible. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to learn this one day.

3. As for landlords not wanting any farming done: I know. You're right. It's a concern that has to be addressed when looking.

4. As for prejudice: as I mentioned, that's everywhere. If I can reduce their exposure to it from several days a week to once a month, I will have done a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu