Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:36 PM

70 posts, read 98,605 times

Advertisements

We have just learned that we are likely going to PCS to Hawaii next year. I've begun doing research on where to live. My wife will be stationed at Schofield Barracks, and I'll be working downtown.

I kind of have my heart set in living in or near Kailua. I've visited the island a couple of times, and stayed in Kailua. To me it is a perfect mix of Hawaiian feel, near the beach, and not too far from town. I love the vibe.

The problem is that it seems an extremely long commute for my wife. We will be visiting this summer, and we can drive around the island and test it out. But in the meantime, I'm trying to find another area that might work for both of us, and I'm struggling. I really don't want to live in the middle of the island near Schofield, and be so far from the beach. And even the areas that might be halfway between like Pearl City/Aiea don't seem that close to the beach, or very much fitting my image of Hawaii.

I know it sounds like I'm living in fantasyland, but you have to realize we live in a wonderful neighborhood in San Diego now that we both love. The idea of moving to Hawaii to live in a neighborhood that looks and feels like any suburb in America does not appeal to me.

Now, finally, to my questions.

1. Is there anyone here that commutes from Kailua or maybe Kaneohe to Schofield Barracks area? If so, how terrible is it? It seems like driving through the beautiful mountains would help ease the pain a bit.

2. Is there another neighborhood anyone can recommend that would be a slightly less terrible commute for both of us (1 downtown, 1 Schofield)? If I can't live close to the beach, I would like something that has a Hawaiian feel, nice tropical yard space, and ideally a mountain or ocean view.

Edit: We don't have or plan to have kids, so schools are not an issue for us. We do have 2 small dogs. We'd like to rent a single family home, budget probably up to $3500 or so.

Last edited by LongAndLow; 01-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Added criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I recently moved from Kailua and that is good 40 minute commute. To make it achievable, you'll need to live on the Kailua side as close to the H3 on/off ramp. H3 never has traffic even in commute times unless there is an accident - you do have a backup with the Likelike highway.

I'd go with Haleiwa as option #2, shorter commute - access to N. Shore beaches and less expensive.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:10 PM

40 min to Schofield? That doesn't sound too bad. Her commute is probably close to that now.

I thought about Haleiwa which seems easy for her, but wouldn't that be hellacious to downtown? It certainly does meet the "Hawaiian" criteria I talked about, but might be too sleepy even.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Haleiwa to downtown is a 90 minute commute in rush hour when UH is in session.

Yes, 40 minute commute to Schofield from the H3/Kaneohe side of Kailua assuming clear traffic and no accidents.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM

293 posts, read 361,468 times
Having been based on Schofield many years ago, I would think that you might also consider your wife's thoughts and feelings in this too. You seem to be ALL about what you want and feel. She has to drive to, make it easier on her.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
Having been based on Schofield many years ago, I would think that you might also consider your wife's thoughts and feelings in this too. You seem to be ALL about what you want and feel. She has to drive to, make it easier on her.
That is why I am on this forum asking what her commute would be like and for alternate neighborhoods that might be better for both of us. I think I am entitled to daydream a little, and explore what neighborhoods would most interest me. I assure you that my wife will do the same, and we will explore all of our options together and come to a decision that works for both of us.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 PM

293 posts, read 361,468 times
Good, that's the type of marriage that will last. When each partner thinks only of their spouse and not themselves. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I recently moved from Kailua and that is good 40 minute commute. To make it achievable, you'll need to live on the Kailua side as close to the H3 on/off ramp. H3 never has traffic even in commute times unless there is an accident - you do have a backup with the Likelike highway.

I'd go with Haleiwa as option #2, shorter commute - access to N. Shore beaches and less expensive.
That is the best route for your Wife to take to Schofield Barracks, in the AM,and PM. Traffic will be going in the Opposite direction, but will still be heavy due to contraflow lane taking one from the north bound lane, AM. Any accidents either way, all bets are off, and any construction?

Old 01-25-2016, 04:38 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Hawaiian feel? Are you kidding? Kailua is probably the least Hawaii place in Hawaii

Old 01-25-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Hawaiian feel? Are you kidding? Kailua is probably the least Hawaii place in Hawaii
You can call it Idaho if you want, it makes no difference to me. It's what I like. If you have a constructive suggestion based on that fact, I'm all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu