Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM

60 posts, read 96,007 times

Advertisements

Youtube Long Island Serial Killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
I am 20 years old and I am currently attending a community college. Right now I just want to get the basic math science and English out of the way because I don't know yet if I want to continue my education I'm not very interested in what school has to offer me. I am mostly interested in the gym and working out as I have recently considered becoming a personal trainer. However I know that personal trainers make almost no money unless you get lucky and I know that in Hawaii the cost of living is higher ON top of the wages being paid to employees is lower. So my question since it is really a dream of mine to live in Hawaii for at least 6 months not permanent but at least 6 months just to experience what it's like to be island bound how could I make this happen? What jobs are there in Hawaii especially to people without bachelors degrees? I have recently considered living with roommates because that would make it a lot easier? Any thoughts? I don't have a girlfriend or any thing so I would be attacking this dream as a lone wolf financially speaking.
Since you're young healthy and I assume without attachments then I'd do it. There are a lot of good points that other posters have brought up of course, but one can always come up with a million reasons not to do something.

In the immediate term, perhaps consider working at one of the many resorts. You could bartend, wait tables etc. If college isn't for you then consider picking up some other type of specialized training or start a career in the trades.

This won't be easy so prepare for hardship--can your parents at least pay for a ticket back home if you need it?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
I recall on a Hawaii Life show episode where a couple just graduated from college. They wanted to move to Honolulu after graduating from college because they hated living in the snow belt in the mainland. They were both living in Honolulu, renting. They wanted to buy a home with their low income. One was a server, the other was a bartender. I immediately thought, why did they go to college? That was a complete waste of money. That probably put their parents into debt. The parents will have to bail them out again when they run out of money and have to move back to the mainland.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:04 AM

96 posts, read 112,797 times
If I were the OP, I would join the military. Oh wait, that is what I did when I was about the same age as the OP. Seriously though, if you are single and you don't know what you want to do, and you like to work out, the military sounds like a good fit. You could do some research to figure out which military jobs are likely to end up stationed in Hawaii, then you could pursue one of those jobs. You might get a year or more in Hawaii that includes accommodations and a pay check. I understand if you are completely opposed to the idea of joining the military. It's not for everybody. I wish someone had given me this idea when I joined the Army at age 18.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:47 AM

151 posts, read 195,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane123 View Post
I have never been there before and no I do not know anyone there but seeing the pictures and the climate make me want to go so badly. I have been to florida so I love the tropics I currently live in cold snowy colorado and I hate it.
What difference does this make. A lot of guys go to HI oneway. A lot end up homeless-what better place to be homelesss than in paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: