Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM

788 posts, read 512,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Commute time can be cut in half from the Leeward side by constructing a tunnel underneath Pearl Harbor. But the Defense Department definitely opposes such proposal.

There have already been a lot of building upward in Honolulu. Look at Kakaako. But the problem is those units, with one bedroom apartment asking for over $500,000, are not catered to the local Middle Class.

The State and the City are not helping either. During the last boom when the State and City actively got involved in the affordable housing market in the '90s, eligible homeowners paid about 60% of the equity while the government contributed around 40% for those developments in Ewa, Kapolei and Makakilo.

In the latest new project like Ward Village, the eligible homeowner has to pay about 90% while the government just contributes 10% to those affordable units.
The homeowner should pay 100% just like all the people that made something out of themselves. I am so sick and tired of the mindset that people who failed to accomplish are somehow owed the fruits of other's labors. They need to up their game or get off the court.

We've already experienced a nationwide collapse of the housing industry caused by government meddling forcing the industry to give mortgages to unqualified "borrowers" so they can live like their their more accomplished "neighbors".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Middle class is roughly $42,000 to $124,000 household income in urban Honolulu according some articles I have come across.

Obviously the lower middle class is going to struggle with a $500,000 place (and there are cheaper places to be had - they just aren't going to be able to live in Kakaako). On the other hand, as you move up the middle class curve, a $500,000 place is not out of the question.
Plus, those numbers assume no existing equity. I could make 24K but if I sell and have 400k in equity when I sell, I'm good when I buy. All the middle class I know own homes from 600K on up.

All the hand waving on "how can anyone middle class purchase at these rates", well they already owned a home and sell and buy up as their income increases.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: