Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

Opportunity in Honolulu. What can you tell me about finding a place to live? House? Condo? Townhome? Rent?

Not a downtown type city person.

Last edited by Sforrest; 07-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: posted too much personal info... changed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,786,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforrest View Post
Aloha,

what can I expect to buy and in what area of Oahu?
How much money do you have?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Quote:
Aloha,

Opportunity in Honolulu. What can you tell me about finding a place to live? House? Condo? Townhome? Rent?

Hi. Me and my GF transplanted to Oahu for a few months. We both went because we needed a break from living in Queens, NY. I am originally from Ukraine - moved to New Jersey when I was about 6, she is from California, OC.

People always say that the cost of living is SO high in Hawaii...I don't think so. We paid 1,000$/month for a tiny box of a room in NYC. We found a nice room part of a beautiful house on the top of Palolo valley with rediculous views of mountain and down to the beach for only 800$/month. Splitting it, we basically paid 400$/month to live in paradise plus food. I would suggest combing through Craigslist for rental options. People are moving in/out frequently, so I'm sure you can find something. I saw rents as low as 600-700.

Something I learned the hard way - Check the mattress for bedbugs

What I enjoyed about Oahu was that there are no factories (at least on east side?). If you're not a downtown person I assure you that most of the land feels like a suburb or a beach community. You can catch the bus to get to Honolulu city from mostly anywhere, and if I wanted to I occasionally would just walk the 1.5-2 hrs to get there.

If you're white, be prepared to have stares and uncomfortable standoffs occasionally. Not often really..most people in HI are chillax, ridin in the back of pickup trucks drinkin beers having a good time and enjoying the nature. But there's this ugly tension everywhere. Our first day walking through honolulu some betel nut chewing bum started screaming that I should get a better girlfriend and that he wanted to kill us in the middle of the street next to walmart. He just kept yelling "I'm ANGRY!!!!" at the top of his lungs. Mostly I kept to myself and enjoyed walking around. I grew up in newark NJ so the beach bum type kids there that think they're really tough started to **** me off quite a bit. Damn bro you have tats and wear tank tops, wow, crazy stuff bro, so tuff. My roomate warned me to "not walk around too much because of the projects around here" LOL I grew up in 15 story brick highrise projects, I wanted to laugh in his face. It really is safe but be prepared to deal with jerkoffs who think that you're some kind of slavemaster that needs to repent for the sins of the white race. Sorry for the rant but something is definitely off there...

Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 28,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killaer View Post

If you're white, be prepared to have stares and uncomfortable standoffs occasionally. Not often really..most people in HI are chillax, ridin in the back of pickup trucks drinkin beers having a good time and enjoying the nature. But there's this ugly tension everywhere. Our first day walking through honolulu some betel nut chewing bum started screaming that I should get a better girlfriend and that he wanted to kill us in the middle of the street next to walmart. He just kept yelling "I'm ANGRY!!!!" at the top of his lungs. Mostly I ...
I remember they used to have kill white'S days in high skool.................does that still exist?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:17 PM

788 posts, read 508,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMan View Post
I remember they used to have kill white'S days in high skool.................does that still exist?
You are trying too hard, HbH.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 AM

104 posts, read 97,566 times
Quote:
Aloha,

Where will you be working? Rents will be a little cheaper outside of the urban core area (locals refer to it as "town"). However, keep in mind that traffic is a ***** to get in and out of the metro area during rush hour. Let us know what area on the island your new opportunity will be so folks can offer a little more input/advise.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM

9 posts, read 41,866 times
Propulser

I remember the Kill day, I went to school at Washington Intermediate. It was rough.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,912,019 times
Try looking on Craig's List to see about estimated cost of rentals and such, but don't rent them sight unseen and if you see one abnormally low, figure it's a scam.

If you're a single person and not going to be making a lot of money, then sharing a house/apartment with someone may be an option.

Don't buy anything until you've been in the area for awhile and know you'll be staying and it's in an area you like. However, due to the extreme high prices, you probably wouldn't be buying anyway.

Try a bit of Google Street View to see the 'downtown' area. Honolulu has no industrial area, it's mostly a financial district. Depending on which area of town you're in, you may or may not see any 'downtown' there or not. Out by the airport there's some light industry, but not really up to the level of factories.

Traffic is horrendous, parking is almost non-existent. Try to live as close as possible to work, if you can walk there and skip owning a car, you'll be miles ahead of figuring out an inexpensive way to live on Oahu.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,544,007 times
watch out for the hurricanes? lol

Old 09-02-2016, 05:41 PM

246 posts, read 647,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMan View Post

Awwww sorry extreme sensitive.....we had kill J** days too.............awwwwww

from a Japanese local.

This isn't 1945...aawwww..point proven WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu