Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,796,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
If you actually read my posts, you would understand that the frustration is with being charged $28 parking to eat dinner at a restaurant on OPENING NIGHT. The 4.5 hour dinner was a result of EXTREMELY SLOW SERVICE; no guest should be penalized for delays caused by their slow service.
Who waits 4.5 hours to have dinner unless they are throughly enjoying the wait?

Were MANY free cocktails served?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Who waits 4.5 hours to have dinner unless they are throughly enjoying the wait?

Were MANY free cocktails served?
Opening night or not - I don't buy 4.5 hours for dinner. It's not a big place. I'd say it took 30 minutes for our steak to come out - even if you triple it for opening you still have a huge buffer.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
Everyone still hunkered down - zoo parking 5:35 pm Friday night. Sept 9.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,859,400 times
Good cherry picking. Everybody knows the gazelles get off at 5:30 and are quick to drive off and start their weekend.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:01 AM

9 posts, read 5,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Exactly. It makes no sense for a parking lot in a very high demand area to sit virtually empty because rates are nearly $10/hr.
The problem is a thinking error. Most people who support the ideals that your pointing out as lolo are the same ones who believe that the mainland is a place of diversity because they have alot of minorities who live there. Ignoring that no the mainland is not very diverse place because we all speak english and are very limited to a few mainstream ideals of correctness.

This is why so few outside ideals are accepted here.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 AM

293 posts, read 358,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
And it would probably still be there but you and others stopped stopping in. Well that and the fact that Don Ho is dead.
Honobob, I would have stayed and visited quite often. But, unfortunately, Vietnam was calling at that time. Where I proceeded to, and ended up blown up, burned 80% of my body 2nd and 3rd degree, and a loss of 136 lbs. in a week. After That, I spent a year and a half on a death bed at Ft. Sam, San Antonio, TX. All that stopped me from doing anything for a long time. Now, it's all history.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:32 AM

@TimTheEnchanter

"If you don't know what calling someone "a local" means on Oahu then maybe you just haven't lived there long enough to know."

"Pretty sure I have a longer family history in the islands and pretty sure I know exactly what is meant by the use of "local". It is not the same meaning as local might have in other states. Maybe it sticks in your craw that you are not a local." End quote:

Ok thats like saying a guy who is a fullblooded native is native because of his blood. Thats pupule. I know many natives that are more "haole" then most look like on the outside. You do bring up a good point that most don't know what local means in the past on Oahu. Most people don't know that in our tutus generation it was shameful to speak non-english, it was considered lowclass to speak olelo hawaiian or to be local. Why? Maybe the same reason why "haole" hate is alive today. Or the push for wealthy to have everyone speak english and to think and to be the same today? Its da same spirit of the missionaries.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 AM

48,296 posts, read 34,425,363 times
While now there is a cultural renaissance of the language and all things Hawaiian in the younger generations.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
And it would probably still be there but you and others stopped stopping in. Well that and the fact that Don Ho is dead.
You do understand what you said is faulty thinking right? I know tons of local places that closed because the landowners could get more money from a corporate owned business or a condo then a local owner. Some places still very popular. Be careful your mainland thinking is showing.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
While now there is a cultural renaissance of the language and all things Hawaiian in the younger generations.
Yup its a good thing. Its scary to think that just 40 years ago that the language almost went extinct. Im just waiting for it to go mainstream in our society like it was when it was outlawed. Its a gorgeous language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu