U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times

Advertisements

Yes its good whrn members speak out Mike,it really does help them feel better (I know from personal matters)

I can Imagine Hawaii is a very mystical place and some islands might not be the greatest..... (I know its very warm year round which some may not be able to handle)

Good luck to you YoungTraveler2011,I wish you the best and hope you feel happier soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
Well, Oahu has gotten significantly more crowded lately. We were over there visiting a couple of weeks ago and I'd not been there for four or five years. We were sitting at the yacht club looking at the skyline and counting the new high rises. I haven't seen growth like that since the early eighties. It's a crazy amount of new and really big buildings. Also with Ala Moana shopping center now looming over Ala Moana beach park, it's like the park has shrunk by half and the feel of open space is really diminished.

Still, even though it's gotten a lot more crowded, its still a fun place to visit and for folks coming from cold places, they're probably not going to be all that picky.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:47 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,263,662 times
O'ahu is not a city.

I sorta liked downtown, liked the North Shore, but the locals certainly did not like me, and yes, the vibe on that island is not good in areas. Three weeks was all I could handle the place, whereas I had lived on the B.I. for years and years. Hotel street was awfully dicey (this was over 15 years ago, not sure if they cleaned it up since then), and ice and heroin were laughably easy to get as there were drug gangs that were operating all through Chinatown. I was going to rent a room in that area and the folks at the hostel I was staying at kept telling me "you do NOT want to live there". It didn't look that much worse than San Francisco's Tenderloin to me, but they said "go there at night and see what you think". So I did, and it was scary. It was much worse. I actually had lived in the 'loin before, as well as Harlem, so had some idea of what scary is. The homeless scene was not good either.

Waikiki had serious traffic problems!, and the prices in stores were terribly inflated. It reminded me of Disneyland in that regard. It was all about the tourists, and they were going to get as much money from you as they could while you were there. But, you didn't have to shop there either. The beaches downtown were wonderful. I really liked Ala Moana park. Hilo had nothing like that.

I got the feeling that if you had enough money to insulate you, it might have been a different place. There were things I was interested in like the Zen Diamond sangha that Robert Aitken founded, and overall, it seemed the island offered more stuff if you were able to overlook the downsides. You needed a considerably larger income than I had for it to work there, whereas here in St Pete, Fl, a city I really like, my lifestyle is great on my income. On O'ahu it would have been misery. Some of the neighborhoods looked nice (some looked terrible too, so it was very specific where you would want to live). I agree on the comments on the beaches. O'ahu had some great beaches. When I first came to Hilo I was confused on that. There are no beaches to speak of. There are a couple of beach parks, which are different. I learned to appreciate Richardson's and Four Mile though. Onekahakaha was a little too small for my tastes.

Last edited by smarino; 12-24-2016 at 03:04 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 04:04 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz
.....Still, even though it's gotten a lot more crowded, its still a fun place to visit and for folks coming from cold places, they're probably not going to be all that picky.
Im curious.... Whats the smallest island you guys have and is it empty? (No reg residents living on it)

Old 12-24-2016, 08:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 942,490 times
Each Island is vastly different from the other Islands. My parents came to Oahu when it was still a Territory. That should give you an idea about the changes I've seen over the decades. But I still love going to Oahu, from Maui, to visit.
Honolulu has a world class Art Museum, specializing in Asian Art, complete visiting exhibits from around the world. I particularly liked the Samurai Sword exhibit. Honolulu has a Contemporary Art Museum featuring more Modern Art and local artists. Honolulu boasts local artisans crafting amazing ceramics, weaves, sculptures and spectacular monkey-pod and koa wood works.
Then there is the Doris Duke private Collection. Doris Duke was an American heiress, socialite, horticulturalist, art collector, and philanthropist. Doris was daughter of a wealthy tobacco tycoon. Her house is turned into Shangri La is a center for Islamic arts and cultures,with guided tours.
Honolulu Symphony Orchestra is a World Class Orchestra, with many virtuoso pianists and violist coming to perform.
The list goes on and on for cultural opportunities. I also enjoy the local children's theatre and ballet performances. There is amazing and energetic talent island wide.
Yes, the beaches are different then they were 50 years ago. And they are very different than Maui's beaches. But grabbing a beach house for a few days and nights for a family gathering on Kailua Beach is always a good time for all generations, from keiki to kapuna.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:19 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,387,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
To whom are you addressing this comment?
To the OP.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:46 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im curious.... Whats the smallest island you guys have and is it empty? (No reg residents living on it)
There's little islets offshore the main islands which don't have people living on them, such as Rabbit Island off of Makapu'u, (I'm sure it has a Hawaiian name, too, but a lot of folks call it Rabbit Island). There's Castle Rock off Kaneohe Bay point, the islands out from Lanaikai, Chinaman's Hat, does the sandbar in Kaneohe bay count? (all of these are windward Oahu).

There's Molokini between Maui and Kahoolawe. Kahoolawe itself isn't inhabited and it's a pretty sizeable island. The US military used it for bombing practice (the idiots) and ruined the water table.

There's a whole string of atolls and such heading south from Hawaii, aren't there? I think they're all a big nature preserve now. If you keep going far enough, you'll end up on Palmyra which sometimes has a resident and sometimes doesn't.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:08 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I got the feeling that if you had enough money to insulate you, it might have been a different place.
My favorite places were those areas in which I could not afford to live. The best thing about Oahu was the beaches. You could look out at the water and forget what's behind you on the land.

Loved the people... looking forward to visiting.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,597 posts, read 6,269,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I can Imagine Hawaii is a very mystical place
That's where the problem with reality vs fantasy rears its ugly head..

'Didn't look like this on the postcards'

My concern with Hawaii, after all these years, is that they are going to kill the golden goose one of these days. Then they'll rip open the carcass and try to figure out where the golden eggs came from...

And that's enough pilau ano for me today.

Mele,,,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, Kalikimakauuurrrpppp

Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
With all the development on the island, I wonder how long the water supply is going to last. Do the city planners take water for granted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or