Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:10 AM

7,665 posts, read 5,379,576 times

Advertisements

Just read on Kiplinger.com:

"Tax breaks for seniors: These vary by county. In Honolulu, for example, homeowners 65 or older get a larger home exemption of $120,000. Low-income seniors age 75 and older may qualify for even larger exemption amounts, ranging from $140,000 to $200,000, depending on age."

Are these tax breaks only for Honolulu residents or the whole Honolulu metro area, e.g. Kailua, etc.?

Do any other islands get these breaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,538,720 times
varies by county, each set their own rates. honolulu county should be for all of oahu.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:48 PM

293 posts, read 358,590 times
To add to that, if your a disabled Veteran, I believe you can get a 100% tax waiver like they do in TX and MT.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,577,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do any other islands get these breaks?
Yes, we get tax breaks here on Hawaii Island. I think it starts at age 65 and a bigger exemption at age 70.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Is $120,000 the minimum on both OAHU and the BIG ISLAND?

Any other islands?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 AM

this little two-page brochure will answer all of your questions (hopefully) regarding the Big Island.

http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/for...20Brochure.pdf

Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
this little two-page brochure will answer all of your questions (hopefully) regarding the Big Island.

http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/for...20Brochure.pdf
Thank you. In the meantime, I saw something that compares all four counties (islands) with one another.
Hawaii gives large exemptions, but how does the property value fluctuate? Here in California we have Proposition 13, which prevents property tax bills from going higher than 2% per year, even if the value increases significantly year to year. Does Hawaii have anything similar to that?

The purchase price of a home here generally determines the initial tax bill, i.e. a $500,000 home would be taxed statewide at 1% plus local assessments, so on average, the first year would be 1.25% (approximately) and each subsequent year would be UP TO 2%, but not over.

However, local voters can hold elections for special assessments that increase the tax rate.

How does it work in Hawaii's four counties?

While looking at some Hawaiian properties, I saw significant recent drops in list price for nearly all houses.

What's going on over there regarding the real estate market?

Old 03-26-2017, 08:08 PM

I don't know the answers, but apparently no-one else here does either.

This is what I DO know -- Hawaii doesn't have anything like Prop 13 (thank goodness). Assessments are done by the Tax Assessor's Office and seem to change annually. Ours went up this year a couple of thousand dollars. Assessments are not tied to a home's purchase value but I think are probably tied to neighborhood sales. I say probably because I really don't know how they determine this.

Real estate market on the Big Island generally lags behind the mainland. When home prices rise on the mainland we usually don't see a similar rise for several months, if not longer. And home prices really do vary by location. I think right now prices are high in Kona and South Kohala areas. Available inventory is another determining factor for prices. We have a lot of houses on the market in my neighborhood in Ka'u, and that (and location) keeps sales prices low.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't know the answers, but apparently no-one else here does either.

This is what I DO know -- Hawaii doesn't have anything like Prop 13 (thank goodness). Assessments are done by the Tax Assessor's Office and seem to change annually. Ours went up this year a couple of thousand dollars. Assessments are not tied to a home's purchase value but I think are probably tied to neighborhood sales. I say probably because I really don't know how they determine this.

Real estate market on the Big Island generally lags behind the mainland. When home prices rise on the mainland we usually don't see a similar rise for several months, if not longer. And home prices really do vary by location. I think right now prices are high in Kona and South Kohala areas. Available inventory is another determining factor for prices. We have a lot of houses on the market in my neighborhood in Ka'u, and that (and location) keeps sales prices low.
Prop 13 has helped many people keep their homes. I voted against it many years ago, but I am grateful it passed. How awful to have your taxes go up a couple of thousand dollars in a single year unless you live in an expensive mansion.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Prop 13 has helped many people keep their homes. I voted against it many years ago, but I am grateful it passed. How awful to have your taxes go up a couple of thousand dollars in a single year unless you live in an expensive mansion.
Assessment went up a couple of thousand, not taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: