Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My best guess.

Drugs.

Specifically meth.
I could see that, though I'd be curious to know how much of it would be out in the open and what actual threat such dealing/using would pose to the average Joe walking the streets of Kalihi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Do the statistics bear this out or is this just internet chatter? I'm not saying that such areas can't exist here on island, but I just haven't seen actual evidence that parts are what most would consider "crime ridden."
The HPD releases an interactive crime map, which might be interesting to you view.

below is a quick google search on statistics regarding kalihi since that's what we're talking about.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

The overall crime rate in Kalihi-Palama is 59% higher than the national average.
For every 100,000 people, there are 12.48 daily crimes that occur in Kalihi-Palama.
Kalihi-Palama is safer than 11% of the cities in the Hawaii.
In Kalihi-Palama you have a 1 in 22 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
The number of total year over year crimes in Honolulu has decreased by 7%.
-----------------------------------------
http://honolulupd.org/statistics/wee...trict_CADS.pdf

District 5 is kalihi. District 8 is Kapolei to Waianae. District 1 is Chinatown to moilili

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I could see that, though I'd be curious to know how much of it would be out in the open and what actual threat such dealing/using would pose to the average Joe walking the streets of Kalihi.
just curious, have you ever walked around kalihi? Chinatown? riverstreet?

when you have methheads/homeless people with mental issues strolling the sidewalks like zombies, yes the chances are higher you'll get attacked randomly or that they'll try to steal something from you. It happens all the time in Chinatown, many times goes unreported unless someone gets seriously injured. It's why the cops have been more vigilant on patrolling Chinatown more recently. people are fed up from the random attacks and dealing with homeless people all day and night. Hell people get assaulted right in front of that police substation.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
just curious, have you ever walked around kalihi? Chinatown? riverstreet?

when you have methheads/homeless people with mental issues strolling the sidewalks like zombies, yes the chances are higher you'll get attacked randomly or that they'll try to steal something from you. It happens all the time in Chinatown, many times goes unreported unless someone gets seriously injured. It's why the cops have been more vigilant on patrolling Chinatown more recently. people are fed up from the random attacks and dealing with homeless people all day and night. Hell people get assaulted right in front of that police substation.
Yes, and I do so regularly. Kalihi having higher crime, comparatively-speaking, than other parts of the country/island/state doesn't inherently make it "crime ridden" in the sense that most would speak of. Also, just because you're X% more likely to be a victim of crime in Kalihi vs. in some other area does not mean that there's a high chance that you'll actually be a victim of crime in Kahili (or in any other area for example). Indeed, as a hypothetical, 2 murders could occur in Kalihi every year and none in Makiki. These statistics would make it much more likely that one would be a homicide victim in Kalihi vs. in Makiki, but such an analysis is misleading as it exaggerates the likelihood that one will be a homicide victim in Kalihi in a general sense.

Based on the source you provide, you have a 1 in 21 chance of becoming a victim of any crime in Kailua and the overall crime rate in Kailua is 67% higher than the national average: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok (Kalihi fares better with crime statistics, btw). But that doesn't mean that Kailua is "crime ridden" as most would understand that term. Note, I compare Kailua to Kalihi as Kailua is where whtviper1 has his/her location listed as . . . because whtviper1 didn't volunteer that area as being "crime ridden," however, I'd assume that whtviper1 doesn't believe that it is. Of course, I could be wrong.

When we look at Honolulu crime statistics in general, folks have a 1 in 30 chance of being a victim of any crime in Honolulu, for a rate that is 17% higher than the national average: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok. But, still, I wouldn't exactly call Honolulu "crime ridden."

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 PM

well I guess we'll just agree to disagree then? I honestly cannot see how someone frequents these areas of town regularly and doesn't think there's issues. But obviously our definitions of "crime ridden" neighborhoods differ greatly.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
well I guess we'll just agree to disagree then? I honestly cannot see how someone frequents these areas of town regularly and doesn't think there's issues. But obviously our definitions of "crime ridden" neighborhoods differ greatly.
Indeed! But I enjoyed this conversation as it shows how different folks view things! As mentioned before, my views are shaped largely as one coming from a NYC at a period when public shootings were the norm (and where my family and I were once caught in the crosshairs of a shootout) and other crime was once out of control.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 PM

yep, like I mentioned "In hawaii in general, there's a lot more crime against property than there is serious crime like shootings and murders and such in other states/cities." From what I recall, property crimes in Honolulu are equivalent to other big cities like Detroit that do have a reputation of being "crime ridden".

Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Jeeez. I have shirt-tail relatives that live off of School St and Palama. I go to the neighborhood
all the time to visit, pick up goodies at Liliha Bakery and on occasion dine at Halena's. I am looking
forward to catching some football games this coming fall at Farrington HS's new field. Want to see if
they can get past Kahuku this season. Go Gov's!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Good luck on getting past Kahuku, they usually field a pretty tough team. And other than making sure your car is either locked or not worth stealing, you probably don't act any different in Kalihi than anywhere else, most likely.

I've worked in Kalihi and Chinatown before and it's not rampant crime like one believes some areas on the mainland may be like, but theft is more of a problem than other areas of Hawaii. That's typical of lower income areas where folks are looking for anything to sell to get by. It's primarily property crimes in those areas.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
Actually Chinatown is not that bad as compared with 10 or 20 years ago.

After the opening of the police station at Hotel Street and the gentrification of section of Chinatown close to downtown, i.e. renovation of Hawaii Theater, Chinatown becomes more lively and many people walk there during the night time.

The problem why there are so many "zombies" strolling in Chinatown are:

(1) There is charitable organization operating in Chinatown that hands out free food which leads to a high concentration of homeless people;

(2) Aala Park provides a resting place (and bathroom) for these homeless people. While the sit-lie ban is enforced in other City Parks, hardly any police ever cares about that park unless they are called.

(3) Businesses close too early in Chinatown. Most close at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. If most businesses stay open until 10 pm like what Chinatown in San Francisco is, there will be less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu