Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you have to live in Mililani and work in Kapolei it isn't exactly an "opportunity "
what do you mean by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 973,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post
We are considering a move from the Midwest to Oahu - and are specifically interested in the Mililani area. We currently have a "large" backyard (less than 1/4 acre) and noticed while looking online at houses that many have very little by way of yard - like a tiny alley... Before we make the leap, this is something big for us to consider - we have 3 very active, very outdoorsy kids that love to play outside. I am wondering what people do? Where do the kids play after school? No playsets, nowhere to kick a soccer ball? We are trying to be very realistic and consider all the details. Very curious to hear from any parents of kids from 4-11 and what they do?
You know Oahu is a small island right? And you expect each family to have a private playground?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,191,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post
what do you mean by this?
Hell of a commute...

Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM

48,445 posts, read 34,618,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Hell of a commute...

Between Mililani and Kapolei? No. Not even.

Viper is alluding to his opinion that if that Mililani and Kapolei aren't nice. I disagree.

Kapolei and Ewa are growing into nice, well planned areas with lots of amenities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,547,704 times
the work traffic is horrendous in the area, but if you're commuting going to Kapolei, you're going against the flow of morning rush hour, and it shouldn't be too bad. Come down the H2, stay in the right line, and merge with the H1 west bound. Kam highway through waipio is probably a bad idea, although maybe cutting through waikele would be reasonably fast. Not sure.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,267,521 times
This thread has me wondering. What does small or large mean? For example what size lot are homes built on? What size home is considered average, if their is such a thing.

To compare, most of the older homes in my area are on lots that are 60" X 100" with homes that range from 1,300 square feet to 1,800 square feet. Our home is 1,670 square feet, single story home. Newer homes are larger or can be. It seems that the standard seems to favor 2,200 square feet and larger in my area for single family homes.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,699 times
We are actually leaning toward Kapolei at this point as it seems you get more for your $ and even a yard - I'm wondering, since the area is "up and coming" and whatnot, I wonder how the schools I'll fare? Seems there is a good student/teacher ratio now (far better than our schools currently) but the "scores" are low...then you read actual reviews by parents saying they were pleasantly surprised by the actual quality of the schools? (Kapolei)

Currently we live in an area that I could never expect to replace the amount of yard - anywhere.... I just found it surprising to see basically a paved alleyway between neighbors in Mililani. Seems in Kapolei you have a little more?

And yes as I understand you are basically going against the work time traffic so the commute from mililani to Kapolei is not bad (currently used to 25-45 min depending on traffic and weather) but I think we are really looking more toward Kapolei or Ewa beach at this point....

Last edited by creativemama; 04-12-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 01:10 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,547,704 times
the only way to get a decent lot is to buy an older property from aiea to the east side that was built with a large lot.

Good luck finding anything like that without spending $$$$$

Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM

48,445 posts, read 34,618,603 times
I think 5000sq ft lots are the most common for new-ish homes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,267,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think 5000sq ft lots are the most common for new-ish homes.
With a 5,000 square foot lot and a two story house on the lot I am thinking you could get a home with a front and back yard if you wanted. Then again that would depend on what the developer built I guess. Because of land values here in Southern California many builders started building homes on smaller lots and a small front yard and maybe a 60 X 20 back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu