Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 AM

96 posts, read 112,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama View Post
Mililani specifically because of the research I have done on schools- they appear to be top ranked in that area- at least for the state- am I wrong? We are not in a place where we could do private school, but of course would like the best available public options within an area that isn't like 7.2M for a studio.
Husbands job would be in Kapolei, I work from home remotely. I understand the schools are not as good there, but you get more house for your $.
I very much understand the smaller house part and am actually very much looking forward to the possibility of a downsize.

As far as "move later" - this is a job transfer opportunity- so we are looking into it now vs later.
Mililani is expensive compared to Ewa/Kapolei.

Read the following carefully.

Our daughter, who goes to private school, had one of her classmates, who lives in Mililani, over for a sleepover last weekend. Her family moved to Mililani for the schools, now they have two kids going to private school. The private school they all go to is not in Mililani. School is a very, very, very real issue here. Private school is not cheap. I hear stories about haole kids getting cornered by groups of local kids in the bathrooms. These stories aren't rumors, they are the parents of those kids telling my wife, a public school teacher, what happened to their.... wait for it.... daughters. I am convinced that girls are way meaner than boys, but that's another subject. I know you want to think that it can't really be that bad. It is. If you really can't believe it, go take a tour of Ewa Beach Ilima or James Campbell, they look like prisons. If you can't afford private school, or if you aren't willing to home school your kids, you better have some tough kids if you are going to come here from the mainland. The public schools are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,554,940 times
^

That's funny because mililani is supposed to be one of the best public schools, education wise.

also note that because of military presense, there is a lot of white/black people that go school in mililani as well.

as far as your stories, I can neither believe nor disbelieve it because I don't really know. I would be more inclined to believe it though.

I've said it in a different thread, kids that do well in public schools on oahu are the ones that are internally motivated (or motivated by parents) to learn and do well. If they aren't, they'll likely graduate with a 9th grade math/reading level, then go on to a community college to take remedial high school level courses. Worst case, they'll drop out of high school and hopefully eventually get a GED. So if your kid needs extra attention, then either private school $$$$$ or staying in a good mainland public school is a better option.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
^

That's funny because mililani is supposed to be one of the best public schools, education wise.

also note that because of military presense, there is a lot of white/black people that go school in mililani as well.

as far as your stories, I can neither believe nor disbelieve it because I don't really know. I would be more inclined to believe it though.

I've said it in a different thread, kids that do well in public schools on oahu are the ones that are internally motivated (or motivated by parents) to learn and do well. If they aren't, they'll likely graduate with a 9th grade math/reading level, then go on to a community college to take remedial high school level courses. Worst case, they'll drop out of high school and hopefully eventually get a GED. So if your kid needs extra attention, then either private school $$$$$ or staying in a good mainland public school is a better option.
My impression is that 90% of the people that live in Mililani are not white or black, just like the rest of Hawaii. I don't think most military families have the extra $ to live there.

The issue with public schools in Hawaii is that my daughter, who is a 7th grader, could probably outperform 90% of public high school seniors in every single academic category. The standard of public education in Hawaii is crap. This is the reason that people pay for their kids to go to private school.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,231,182 times
my, what an Elitest statement and a great way to crow about your daughter.

but, you can't keep her segregated from the locals forever.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,884,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post

Why not? He doesn't have to go hang out in Waianae if he doesn't want to.

I hang out and work with a lot of folks born in raised in Hawaii - and they aren't terribly excited to hang with the "locals" either.

In my opinion - the college educated born and raised folks in Hawaii are far harsher on the "local" population than folks who move from the mainland (on Oahu) - again, in my opinion.

Last edited by whtviper1; 05-21-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
my, what an Elitest statement and a great way to crow about your daughter.

You should go look up the definition of the term "elitist" (yes, that is how you spell it correctly). I am pretty sure that you don't know what it means.

My daughter does happen to be exceptional, but the point I was making is that the school system is bad, not that she is exceptional. I think that was pretty obvious when I said that the public schools are crap.

I haven't used the term "locals" once that I recall. Plenty of "local" kids attend private school in Hawaii. Nobody mentioned the term segregation in this post until you brought it up.

The OP was asking about Mililani and referencing the public schools there as a reason for considering to move to that area, so talking about schools is completely on subject here.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:40 PM

48,509 posts, read 34,783,425 times
Our schools are horrible. That's a fact. Most of the local families I know send their children to private schools if at all possible.

Want an example? My stepson is flunking classes. It's okay, he will be passed on to the next grade. He knows this so doesn't try.

Summer school? Nope. It's full. Maybe the next summer he will make up all that is behind. That's inexcusable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Why not? He doesn't have to go hang out in Waianae if he doesn't want to.

I hang out and work with a lot of folks born in raised in Hawaii - and they aren't terribly excited to hang with the "locals" either.

In my opinion - the college educated born and raised folks in Hawaii are far harsher on the "local" population than folks who move from the mainland (on Oahu) - again, in my opinion.
I agree with your statement about the educated born in Hawai'i folks being harsher on the locals then the newcomers.

Punahou, where my brother teaches, was almost an exclusively Haole Male dominated school into the 1050's.

Rich kids, not the brightest and best of the Islands, but privileged with a 'look down' attitude to others.
I might be wrong in this assessment but this is the story I have been told over the years..
You got into Punahou because you Father went there, or you were connected to the old established Haole families there.

I think Flipsidem was referring to his daughter, not his son..
I also think and you and Flipsidem misconstrued my meaning of the word 'local'.

I can understand that because I wasnt making myself clear.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
You should go look up the definition of the term "elitist" (yes, that is how you spell it correctly). I am pretty sure that you don't know what it means.

My daughter does happen to be exceptional, but the point I was making is that the school system is bad, not that she is exceptional. I think that was pretty obvious when I said that the public schools are crap.

I haven't used the term "locals" once that I recall. Plenty of "local" kids attend private school in Hawaii. Nobody mentioned the term segregation in this post until you brought it up.

The OP was asking about Mililani and referencing the public schools there as a reason for considering to move to that area, so talking about schools is completely on subject here.

Oh, gee...you got me, I misspelled 'Elitist' Oh, the Humanity!
Yes, I know the meaning of the word..

But Danke, Herr Ges-Typo Officer, for duly pointing it out to me.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,105,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our schools are horrible. That's a fact. Most of the local families I know send their children to private schools if at all possible.
Not all public schools are horrible. Mililani, Nuuanu and virtually all of East Honolulu has good public schools.

If parents can't afford a private school tuition for their children they can either buy or rent a home in a neighborhood with good schools.

This isn't any different from anywhere else in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu