Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press published today (or sometime in the last several days) that the US military exchange system will allow honorably discharged veterans access to the military exchange system starting 11 November 2017. It requires verifying your veteran status with exchange system, and they will confirm your ability to access the various exchanges. This appears to be a work in progress, and more information will be presented as the 11 November access date nears.

Here in Hawai'i and across the country, this is a real benefit to those of us who chose to serve (or were drafted...remember the draft? anyone? anyone?) in the military and sacrificed, whether they joined of their own free will or were forced to under threat of imprisonment, their lives and futures to the will of the majority of those living in the country.

Thank you America for allowing us vets in Hawai'i and across the country the opportunity to buy consumer goods at reduced prices!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I hate to ask - is this new? Arent vets already allowed to get discounted goods?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 PM

No, it is not new. Vets are not allowed discounted goods except at the general discretion of private companies. Think along the lines of a free malasada offered to vets on Veterans Day. Access to the military exchanges are only available to vets who retired after twenty years of service in the military or active military personal. There are other exceptions, but they are a small percentage of the general veteran population. Some vet services, such as medical benefits are determined by character and length service as well as yearly household income. It certainly is not universal. There are approx. 330 mil people in this country, of which perhaps only about 6-7% are military vets. The reason behind opening the military exchange system to vets is that there are not enough active and retired military vets shopping at the exchanges to compete with the Costco's and Amazon's of the world. It certainly makes one wonder what the is the priority behind the decision, especially since they haven't given a crap about us in the past.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Pardon me. Please allow me to correct myself. It is new benefit. I just wonder why it took so long to figure out to help sustain the current military exchange system.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:48 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
It applies ONLY to online exchange shopping: "This new benefit, which would increase the online shopping base by an estimated 13 million veterans, applies only to shopping online at the military exchanges, not at the physical buildings on military installations."

Veterans can register now for chance at early access to online military exchange shopping

Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
It applies ONLY to online exchange shopping: "This new benefit, which would increase the online shopping base by an estimated 13 million veterans, applies only to shopping online at the military exchanges, not at the physical buildings on military installations."

Veterans can register now for chance at early access to online military exchange shopping
Wow! Wonderful. Once again vets are called upon to fix a problem that is the truly responsibility of the
this country and the complete unwillingness of its citizens or those that are often not citizens who risk their lives to defend your weekend shopping trips. I am sick of listening to people tell me 'thank you for your service' or watching stupid displays of 'faux' 'patriotism at sporting events, etc. It's often meaningless and insulting.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
As a Veteran, I do not mind when people say, 'Thank you for your Service'.

I didn't consider my service 'meaningless' so I don't think people are being 'faux' or phony when they thank me and other Vets.
I do remember a sad time when Vets of the Viet Nam era were reviled, spit upon, called 'baby killers' etc.
It was a sad time...but it's over now.

Time to let go of the hatred.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
As a Veteran, I do not mind when people say, 'Thank you for your Service'.

I didn't consider my service 'meaningless' so I don't think people are being 'faux' or phony when they thank me and other Vets.
I do remember a sad time when Vets of the Viet Nam era were reviled, spit upon, called 'baby killers' etc.
It was a sad time...but it's over now.

Time to let go of the hatred.
Magoo, it isn't hatred. Far from it. It is deep and profound disappointment. During the last sixteen or seventeen years how did it come to pass in a country with a population over 300 mil that so few of us ended up serving what seemingly appeared to be multiple tours overseas, often in real danger? It was completely unfair to these young men, women and their families to have to endure this. So few ended up carrying the burden of so many who, in my opinion, have often appeared and acted unaware and disinterested. I just think we owe these young people much more then they are probably now receiving.

I am going to drop off this thread. A forum for relocating to Hawaii is not the place for this kind of exchange, and I am sorry if I have stirred the pot with an off-topic thread.

Magoo, one more thing. I never stated your service was meaningless. Thanks for your service. FWIW, it has always meant more to me coming from another vet.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I knew this had been proposed, but I didn't realize it was coming. I think the biggest advantage of shopping via the BX/PX or whatever it's called now is there's no state sales tax. Am I right in that thought?

Regardless, it's nice to be thought of, because it seems like one and done vets are seldom given the same consideration as active duty and retirees. Next, it'd be awesome if they opened up MWR facilities to us!

Edit: I just verified that there's no state sales tax and free shipping from the online exchange!

Last edited by LakeLifePA; 07-21-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
The Associated Press published today (or sometime in the last several days) that the US military exchange system will allow honorably discharged veterans access to the military exchange system starting 11 November 2017. It requires verifying your veteran status with exchange system, and they will confirm your ability to access the various exchanges. This appears to be a work in progress, and more information will be presented as the 11 November access date nears.

Here in Hawai'i and across the country, this is a real benefit to those of us who chose to serve (or were drafted...remember the draft? anyone? anyone?) in the military and sacrificed, whether they joined of their own free will or were forced to under threat of imprisonment, their lives and futures to the will of the majority of those living in the country.

Thank you America for allowing us vets in Hawai'i and across the country the opportunity to buy consumer goods at reduced prices!
Aww, dang as I assume the widow of a vet can not use this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu