Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 108,691 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have read a few posts on this forum, as I am seriously contemplating a 6 month stay in Oahu just as a way to see if I would like it permanently. I had spent several months on the North Shore in the past and just fell in love with it, however, I haven't seen the topic come up on this form, or I haven't looked hard enough.........What are your thoughts/experiences? Not sure where I would want to live, but I sure do like the laid-back way of life in that area!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 AM

28 posts, read 109,455 times
WOW..if you have a chance to live on the north shore for 6 months....why would that be a hard decision? That should be plenty of time to see if you can make it there and do that lifestyle longterm....I wish we would have had the option when we moved there to come back in 6 months! That sounds like the perfect scenario for you....what kind of work do you do? The only downside I can think of is that there's not much work that pays on the n.s. and honolulu would be a nightmare drive.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM

181 posts, read 892,151 times
Its the best. If I could move there I would go in a second.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMHRN View Post
Hey, I have read a few posts on this forum, as I am seriously contemplating a 6 month stay in Oahu just as a way to see if I would like it permanently. I had spent several months on the North Shore in the past and just fell in love with it, however, I haven't seen the topic come up on this form, or I haven't looked hard enough.........What are your thoughts/experiences? Not sure where I would want to live, but I sure do like the laid-back way of life in that area!!
Housing is cheaper there than in other parts of Oahu.

We rent our house in Kailua for six or seven months every year, and go back to California for the summer and fall. We usually find someone who is moving to Oahu but doesn't want to commit to buy or to a long term lease until they've been here a while and looked at all the possibilities. About three years ago we rented to a couple who were coming to Hawaii from Minnisota - pretty big change! They loved Kailua, but found they could not afford to buy here, so they finally settled in Waialua, on the north shore, buying a brand new house.

They are very happy there. He works at the Airport, and commutes each day, but at odd hours, so it's doable.

They're having us over for a barbecue soon, and we look forward to it.

Hank

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 AM

17 posts, read 108,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2CA View Post
WOW..if you have a chance to live on the north shore for 6 months....why would that be a hard decision? That should be plenty of time to see if you can make it there and do that lifestyle longterm....I wish we would have had the option when we moved there to come back in 6 months! That sounds like the perfect scenario for you....what kind of work do you do? The only downside I can think of is that there's not much work that pays on the n.s. and honolulu would be a nightmare drive.

Thanks for the response. I am kind of looking between Kailua and North shore/Haleiwa. Don't have a job yet, but hope to do anesthesia at one of the hopsitals on the island. I plan to just rent a furnished place for those 6 months, so I guess I could live in both places in that time and see how it goes! Again, any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

AMHRN

Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Thumbs up Waialua and Wahiawa

I lived in Waialua back in the 80's. It's a bit more built up and expensive now(it was really country then) but you're only about 20 minute from Wahiawa which has a hospital and there may even be medical jobs on the Army base, Schofield. I'm prejudiced in favor of Waialua, I find Kailua kind of a bland suburb. Come check them both out! You can't lose. And congratulations on being smart enough to have trained in a profession where you can make a living anywhere. When you get to Waialua , be sure to check out the Sugar Bar. At least I hope it's still there. Let us know where you end up! And best of luck.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 7,525 times
Sorry, Sugar Bar has been gone for some time now

Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,638 times
Hi. We are moving to Hawaii (working on Schofield). We really want to live in a community near the beach. I want to make sure the high school my son goes to is safe and has good academics. Could anyone suggest a community. I was thinking North Shore area because the commute seems okay to Schofield. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHolt View Post
Hi. We are moving to Hawaii (working on Schofield). We really want to live in a community near the beach. I want to make sure the high school my son goes to is safe and has good academics. Could anyone suggest a community. I was thinking North Shore area because the commute seems okay to Schofield. Thanks for any help.
Many people who work at Schofield live in Mililani - Mililani has a small town feel and a short commute to the North Shore Beaches. Often, a disadvantage to outright north shore living is grocery stores can be few and far between.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHolt View Post
I want to make sure the high school my son goes to is safe and has good academics.
1) Check the School-by-School Results for 2012 Hawaii State Assessment.

2) Use the search feature for lengthy previous discussions about Hawaii's schools (public, private, charter, and for home schooling).

3) Research (Google) how Hawaii's public schools are overseen (it is a state wide system composed of the Department of Education and Board of Education).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu