Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst in Arlington View Post
Just curious if anyone can tell me what condo or apartment building this is?

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...362639894.html
I am pretty certain that is the Island Colony building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM

52 posts, read 67,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I am pretty certain that is the Island Colony building.
Thanks, again!

Old 04-14-2018, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,763 times
Cool Why - kiki ?

Choosing Waikiki sight-unseen is not a good idea. Trying to decide remotely based on research is misleading.

Waikiki is REALLY noisy, crowded and dirty. Yes, there are some nicer properties where if you're on a high floor it would be tolerable, but there are so many really nice neighborhoods within a 5 mile radius it makes no sense unless you want to be around tourists and hit clubs every night. It is also one of the most densely populated areas in the U.S.

Also, you say you won't need a car---wait and see on that. For 1 year or more, you really might.
The weather here has been getting hotter and more humid, and the bus gets old fast; yeah, there's uber, but typically it takes several trips a day to get stuff done---beach, shopping, errands, happy hour, etc etc.

And 1.5 years will FLY by. If you don't like it, you'll be gone in 6 months.
If you like it at all, you'll want more than 1.5 years.

These areas are excellent:

1. Upper Makiki (above Wilder)

2. Kaimuki (DH area or above Waialae Ave.)

3. Kahala (The best!)

4. Manoa

5. Newer buildings in Kakaako, if you want urban.

Makiki and Kaimuki (upper) have great cool breezes at night.

Kahala is just plain gorgeous.

Manoa to Makiki is green, peaceful and close to all.

You can always go to Waikiki to hang with the tourists, see a hula show, and have a swim.

Cheers,
Kahala3

Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM

23 posts, read 43,542 times
I stayed at the Island Colony once - it's part condo/part resort. Not sure if that will bother you. It didn't seem noisy at all, I had a room on the upper floors facing the mountain/ala wai. I remember one morning the sound of a garbage truck was pretty loud though. But it wasn't bad.

The only bad thing I can think of, of living IN Waikiki is the cost of groceries. The nearest Safeway on Kapahulu delivers if you'll be going w/o a car. I'm sure you could bike it too, but depends on how much load you can carry. There's tons of those Biki bikes all over town.

How will you get to the Pali YMCA w/o a vehicle? Taking an uber every day to the gym seems costly. If you're living in Waikiki, you could run the Ala Wai. There's also two gyms in Ala Moana area - Planet Fitness and 24s. Or you could trek further down into Ward and use UFC. It's a little bit closer than Pali YMCA. Or maybe you'll luck out, and wherever you stay will have a gym. My old employee lived at Discovery Bay and they had a gym.

I'm reading over the comments, and I think those are all good factors to take into consideration. IF you're cool w/o being on your own, more power to you. My cousin moved to Oahu from Maui, and she preferred to do things by herself, like dining by herself. She was pretty much as work ALL the time, so it was hard to make plans around busy schedules.

If I were young, single and had a decent job. I'd love Waikiki. It's close to the ocean, there's tons of dining options and bars, and entertainment. There's plenty of busses that go through Waikiki, there's an abundance of availability in ubers, and biki bikes.

Last edited by kimberlylan08; 04-14-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM

33 posts, read 26,342 times
I wonder if the OP is still planning to make the move to Waikiki. This thread has inspired me to consider doing something similar. I will be retiring in approximately 18 months and thought about spending 6 months to a year in Waikiki as a retirement gift to myself. Like the OP I've considered not bringing a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: