U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM

68 posts, read 162,392 times

Advertisements

I remember reading a few years back thet the president of Brazil was in Sao Paulo giving a speech at a convention concerning the crime in Brazils biggest cities. While he was inside giving his speech, his car was stolen...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,887,842 times
Ok Ok I know I'm bad but I just have to ask.

If 17 cars were stolen "From"
Oahu where did they take them and how did they get them off the Island ?

now I'll go read the rest of this post.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM

68 posts, read 162,392 times
Aloha! Im guessing a lot of the problems result from the attitude that a person projects. If youre respectful to others, most of the time you will get that back and not have many problems.
Plus everything is relative. If Oahu has about 900K people, its about the same size as Detroit. Detroit had 380 murders in 2009, its OFFICIAL unemployment rate is 27%, and I wouldnt even want to guess how many cars get stolen there a year. People dont even put their license plates on their cars. They keep them in the house, and stick them in their cars rear windows when driving around. Otherwise the plates just get ripped off and put on stolen cars. Thankfully Oahu doesnt sound anything like that!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Status: "ho'okuina'o ke aina,aloha, Pele" (set 21 days ago)

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
1,859 posts, read 3,822,835 times
When I was tending bar at the old Outrigger on Keawekapu Beach, South Maui, someone had the audacity to steal my ever trusty extremely rusty 1964 Plymouth Valiant. The car was hard on the eyes but did get me from point A to the other one every time I needed to go. Fortunately I was within walking distance of work so didn't really miss the car at all. After a few days it magically reappeared at the Outrigger parking lot. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or insulted. Of course, that was two weeks ago,,,, 1976 actually..

Aloha and,,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me,, okolemaluna

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 AM

3,755 posts, read 5,766,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Stealing a car on an island has to be one of the most desperate or DUMB crimes of all times.
Not really. The cars are loaded into containers and shipped off to foreign countries that don't care. There are not enough inspectors at the ports.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 PM

82 posts, read 319,888 times
Are there not more people on this board that have experienced this?

Had my 97 4runner stolen out of my apartment parking spot last spring. Bone stock, 2WD, auto, cassette deck. Was a bummer. Had the same thoughts of “Where can they go? Is this really a hot car to steal?” Filed a police report, it still hasn’t shown up. My guess is like what others have posted. They part it out and chop up the shell.

Spoke with my neighbor who has lived in the building for 15+ years, he had his car stolen at one point as well. Now he has two car alarms, and three anti-theft devices preventing his steering wheel and gas/brake peddles from moving. Overkill I know.

About a year ago my gf was street parking a block down the road and had her car broken into. All that was in there to take was her uniform and name tag from the food-service job she had.

There have been times at night in bed I hear a smash followed by a car alarm going off. It turns my stomach.

Peace of mind of car insurance, not being emotionally attached to a vehicle, and not leaving any valuables in a car can go a long way.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

155 posts, read 329,802 times
I'm a girl, so I find neither my self worth nor my happiness in the car I drive. (I will NEVER understand that about guys. I no longer question. I just let it be.)

I actually find ALOT of peace and happiness in knowing that we have no credit card debt, no car loan. I know people who live in fear that their car will be repossesed because they're not current on their payments. I know people who have a really nice car/truck/SUV, and don't have $20 to go out to dinner. Nope! Not me! I make a decision to not go there.

On the mainland, we lived in a city with high auto theft. I owned a 6-10 year old honda. Kept stuff in the trunk, kept the trunk locked all the time. When it was summer, 100+ degrees outside, I rolled down all the car windows to keep the car cool. With windows down, never had a problem with broken windows. When we lived in the "bad" part of town, and had no garage, I parked the car in the parking lot, and kept the doors unlocked. Put "the club" on it at night. Never had a broken window. Never had the car stolen.

The neighbor who has two car alarms, and three anti-theft devices... wow! talk about living in fear, and creating a whole lot of anxiety and worry for himself. But, I guess, when you spend lots and lots and lots of money on a car, you really, really, really worry about it being stolen.

In my humble opinion, drive an older car, and avoid creating agitation in your life.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 AM

683 posts, read 1,769,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
I'm a girl, so I find neither my self worth nor my happiness in the car I drive. (I will NEVER understand that about guys. I no longer question. I just let it be.)
I'm a girl, so I think a car should be like an outfit: it should be cute and you should look good in it, and that's way more important than comfort or functionality.

Also, I'm bad at math and cry a lot.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,887,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I'm a girl, so I think a car should be like an outfit: it should be cute and you should look good in it, and that's way more important than comfort or functionality.

You are such a girl!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,175,441 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Somehow, I am not believing that. Especially the first part. (Really neither, but the latter is okay.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu