U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM

8,846 posts, read 11,520,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm going to assume you saw the pics from Hilo and are able to extrapolate why having your car gassed might be a good idea.
Where do they need to drive? Last I checked I was referring to a 18x40 mile island (Oahu).

Regardless, there is no gas shortage in Hilo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,384,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I’m mocking people for not already being prepared, hoarding, and wasting.

I did not make 1 single trip to the store or waste 1 second in any “hurricane line” because I already had everything I needed. Didn’t need to buy 1 single case of water because, surprise, I already drink tons of it. Life works a lot better when one doesn’t wait until the last minute.
It is totally impractical to be prepared all the time like you claim.

Water: One gallon per person per day is recommended for 14 days. A family of four would need 56 gallons of water. Would it be practical to have that much water always stored in a home (not counting the water you actually normally and regularly consume in a NON emergency)? The obvious answer is no.

Food: Recommended 14 days of nonperishable foods that do not require cooking. For a family of four, is it completely impractical to store 168 meals worth of only non perishable food in pantry/cabinets that degrades food relatively quickly in our environment. Most nonperishable food does not last long in Hawaii because of our high humidity and high year round ambient temperature. The average temperature of a pantry or cabinet where food is stored here is about 86 degrees and 76% RH... which is FAR higher than the top end recommended "cool and dry" temp of 70 degrees and 40% RH (i.e. "dry"). Keeping so much food constantly on reserve would most definitely lead to food being disposed of and that in itself is dumb. I would also think most intelligent people would want fresh nonperishable food in case things got bad.

Emergency electronic items: electronic items like radios, flashlights, etc get destroyed from leaking batteries, insects or just the high salt and humidity environment here. Many people don't know this but you should not store batteries in electronics here or they will leak and destroy not just the battery but whatever piece of electronics the batteries were placed in. When they realize those items they had available for emergencies no longer work, they go to the store to "waste" many seconds of their lives to buy replacements.

First-aid kit: These generally last 3-4 years and then have to be discarded and replaced.

Batteries: Alkaline batteries can be destroyed in 4 years or less in Hawaii's high humidity and high temperatures. Many people find it more practical to load up on batteries in an emergency rather than always have a bunch sitting around... as they may never be utilized because they'll expire in our battery-unfriendly environment.

Pet supplies: Food, extra water and medications for 14 days. I don't know about other people but I don't constantly have a running supply of at least 14 days for my pooch. I like to keep his food relatively fresh.

Also, as noted earlier in this thread, Oahu has NEVER been hit by a hurricane or tropical storm in all recorded history. A cat 4/5 spinning just several hundred miles away with a projected path bringing it almost over the islands is understandably terrifying to many, particularly lifetime locals like myself. I'll be honest... this storm got me REALLY worried; much more than any other storm that has threatened us.

Your ideology of always being prepared is completely impractical for many families and individuals; my thoughts were exactly the opposite of yours. It was actually very encouraging to see so many people take this storm seriously and preparing for the worst by stocking up on essentials as recommended by local and state emergency agencies. I would bet that not only were many of these people just stocking up for themselves and their families, but perhaps some thought it wouldn't hurt to have some additional supplies on hand in case their neighbors or friends ran out of something or weren't quite as well-prepared for a disaster? To say you are superior to these people is, quite frankly, rather presumptuous and arrogant. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by pj737; 08-27-2018 at 02:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 02:55 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,384,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd rather people get supplies - than go without. The sheer number of people unprepared is surprising - at least to me.

I've got an electric car - so no worries on gas for me, but why does everyone have to rush to the gas stations??? I mean, seriously, where does everyone think they are going to be driving if it was a catastrophic hurricane on Oahu, essentially a 40x18 mile island.
Why do you think it's not just as important to have a fueled up vehicle prior to a potential natural disaster here on Oahu than on the mainland? Just because we can't drive very far away from the storm ravaged areas? That's not the only reason why it's recommended to fill up your tanks. Gas stations will inevitably be affected here on this island if a hurricane struck (i.e. no power, no working pumps) and chances are our ports and refineries would also be damaged. Whatever fuel would be available post-storm (at our refineries) would likely be reserved for emergencies only and won't make their way to gas stations for quite sometime. It may be just a few days... or it may be several weeks. All while many roads may be unaffected or subsequently cleared for travel. How does it not make perfect sense to have a full tank pre-storm when it could be several weeks until you could get fuel to refill your vehicle?

Cars come with a 12V battery that can power not only phones, laptops and other small electronic devices but also larger home appliances with a cheap high-output inverter. But the battery will die if the alternator is not charging it and for that you need fuel - the more the better. For $100 you can buy a 2,000 watt inverter than can effectively power a fridge/freezer, microwave, electronics, lights, etc for many days up to two weeks (granted you have a full tank of gas and some spare portable jugs). I personally don't have a generator because my car (a plug in hybrid) can power the critical appliances in my home with my 2,000 watt inverter. I have 10 gallons of extra fuel on top of the 16 in my car allowing me to operate my critical appliances for up to two weeks in the event of a prolonged power outage. And it is common that areas just impacted by hurricanes suffer from oppressive humidity and heat. Considering that there would be no a/c or even fans available in an extended power outage, a/c in a car could literally save a life of an elderly person. While this would probably be a stretch, it is not out of the realm.

I can't believe this is even an argument here... a full tank of gas is a must regardless of whether you're on a small island or in Texas. It's just common sense.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM

It's 95 minutes Waianae to downtown this morning (6:10am), fortunately - you all have a full tank of gas.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:02 PM

621 posts, read 448,583 times
Well said, pj737.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 408,350 times
I returned to Honolulu just on the eve of the coming of hurricane Lane -- late evening on Wednesday. The plane was jam-packed with passengers. At the moment I stepped off from the airport, it was still hot and dry. Right after I got on Uber, it started raining.

The next morning I rushed to the supermarket to buy grocery. Most stayed open until 1 pm and would be closed for Friday and Saturday. I was surprised there was still some top grade Ahi left.

On Thursday morning when hurricane Lane was closest to the island, I was so surprised that newspaper was still delivered to my doorstep that morning. And I checked Uber. Many cars were still available and no surge pricing. Only took 4 minutes to pick me up. These drivers must be daredevils.

And the wind was really mild as compared with what I experienced. My house was quite exposed on the ridge and during the past, the telephone and electrical wires were always blown off during days with gust. But everything was normal throughout Thursday and Friday. In fact, I expected rain but there was little (Finally torrential rain downpoured in my area for two hours late last night).

The funny thing was I watched on Facebook my professor who is now working in a top position of a National Emergency Relief Agency kept yelling on Facebook that everybody got to watch out. I wonder if he is just over-worried.

Anyway, I am happy that I had two extra days off.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 08-27-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:20 PM

1,407 posts, read 2,153,169 times
I noticed this trend after Hurricane Lane.

Most of the people I know who have never lived through a real natural disaster and seen the damage a CAT 4 hurricane does in person did not adequately prepare. Look at the people here who claim they are already prepared (impossible unless you're a prepper) or the ones who don't see the utility for simple actions like putting gasoline in their vehicle or putting unsecured items away.

I had friends who claimed that boarding up their house was pointless and thought filling a bath tub was good enough. They preferred going surfing rather than getting prepared for a natural disaster. One day an actual Hurricane is going to hit us and it's going to be a huge disaster due to how lightly most residents take it.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 AM

4,636 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
It is totally impractical to be prepared all the time like you claim.
Then don't live on an island. A thunderstorm could knock out the power, a tsunami created by an earthquake could cause damage, volcanoes, flooding, etc.

Do you not understand that we are surrounded by water? When stores become out of stock from last minute panic shopping and hoarding, there is no telling when they will re-stock again.

You can wait 5 hours in line to fight over the last can of chicken noodle soup as much as you want, but I'm prepared at all times. First aid kit, MREs, water, medicine, batteries, flashlights, mobile power banks for cell phones, non-perishable food, emergency contact numbers, radios, evacuation plans, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm kind of the same way. I don't wish ill will on anyone but it's kind of comical to see all these people rushing to the store at the last minute, especially since this isn't exactly the first time Hawaii's been threatened by a storm. Ideally everyone should be ready at all times. It's really not that hard. Food (freeze dried), water, medicine, battery powered radio, flashlight, and apparently toilet paper. Most except the food, water and TP can fit inside a backpack. Just keep everything on hand and when the time comes there's no rushing to the store and wasting hours standing in line. What really gets me are those buying generators at the last minute. What's the return policy on those?
Agreed. I'm not waiting 5 hours in lines to fight over the last bottled water. The videos of people just standing in a massive line with their shopping carts was maddening. No thanks. That's not the headache I need.

Last edited by Rocko20; 08-29-2018 at 04:04 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 AM

27,595 posts, read 17,689,431 times
Meh. We went to Costco to top off stuff we might need. We are retired, time is in surplus.

Costco had lines to the back of the store, and it took only about 20 minutes, which pretty amazing, and kudos to their staff.

The parking lot was a totally different issue. /lol

Plus all the customers were super nice, and a lot of us were laughing and stuff - that's one of the things I really like about Hawaii.

Again, parking lot, totally different.

LOTS of people do not have room in their apartments and stuff to stockpile food and water.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-29-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

LOTS of people do not have room in their apartments and stuff to stockpile food and water.
Where did they put all the last minute stuff they bought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or