U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 94,980 times
Default Where To Live In Oahu?

Aloha,

I've received a job offer in Honolulu... and I am thinking about the best places to live, for someone coming from the San Francisco area. Here is the stuff that is important in our decision:

> We value nature & community... and prefer a greener, quiet area where people are friendly & community oriented over a more urban & chic setting.

> We have a toddler and want her to have a great time growing up. She should be able to play freely, and have access to a great education. Coming from California... I prefer Public schools over Private, and would like her to get exposed to a good cross section of people. Are there Public schools with top notch academics & diversity (I am Mexican and the wife is White, it would help if the baby isn't the only hispanic in the school)? Ultimately, I don't want the baby to grow up in an elitist, hierarchical environment where she can become a snob.

> So this leads to racism. Is it really a big deal? Being from Mexico, I guess I am already used to a lot of stereotypes & prejudice on the mainland but that is usually coming from Whites. I grew up partly in East L.A. and was involved in gangs as a teenager... so I am not particularly wary of my urban peeps. In California, I've had Samoan & Native Hawaiian friends... and thought they were some of the coolest people on the planet. But in Honolulu, I have gotten the Eye riding the bus & in a few dives (probably because I was overdressed). Is there an area of Oahu where foreigners & natives live together in relatively nice neighborhoods... with a great community feel?

> Lifestyle.... we don't surf or golf, we like to play soccer (I did see some Adult teams playing near Diamond Head so that is cool)... we like to hike, I am a huge Anthropology / National Geographic nut... we are also into sustainable, organic, high quality food & do some cooking. I am also more of a Shrimp Truck, Banh Mi & Tacos al Pastor type of guy than a Gourmet restaurant type of guy. Is there an area of Oahu with similar minded people (into food, but snobbish about decor & service etc.,)

Mahalo in advance for any advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:47 PM

259 posts, read 1,449,534 times
The public school system sucks in HI, personally I would only put my kids in private school there (10,000 per yr.). You will find racism in HI, especially in the schools. We had our eight year old grandson in school for 1 year in HI (he's half mexican) he hated every day he had to go. He would only say that "the kids and teachers are mean to me" this is from a well rounded child who has never said that about school before and is now doing fine in public school in CA. My husband and I both worked while we were there and found it to be about 50/50 in the racism dept. Be sure and do tons of research, believe what people tell you, it's true! There's a great book out called "so you want to live in HI" that book is right on. All this being said, we've been gone from HI for eight months and really do miss some things about it (water, weather and laid back attitude)....just not enough to live there again....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 20,411 times
I agree with Terrie, the school system sucks. Put your child into a private school. If you accept that job in Honolulu be very aware that gas prices are the highest in the nation, bread is more than $3.00 a loaf and the traffice is horrific if you want to live in a green urban area. Racism? I liken it to being able to laugh at yourself first stereo-typically. I'm a mix of things but very much a "local". My family has "plantation roots" and it was if you can laugh @ yourself first then getting along with different cultures can be easier. I make jokes about my heritage all the time. But I point out mannerisms of myself in comparison to the stereo type. Gotta have humor. But if you are quick to judge and critic ever so harshly, it will be reflected back. Karma you know

Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,137,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho & Zapata View Post
Aloha,

I've received a job offer in Honolulu... and I am thinking about the best places to live, for someone coming from the San Francisco area. Here is the stuff that is important in our decision:

> We value nature & community... and prefer a greener, quiet area where people are friendly & community oriented over a more urban & chic setting.

> We have a toddler and want her to have a great time growing up. She should be able to play freely, and have access to a great education. Coming from California... I prefer Public schools over Private, and would like her to get exposed to a good cross section of people. Are there Public schools with top notch academics & diversity (I am Mexican and the wife is White, it would help if the baby isn't the only hispanic in the school)? Ultimately, I don't want the baby to grow up in an elitist, hierarchical environment where she can become a snob.

> So this leads to racism. Is it really a big deal? Being from Mexico, I guess I am already used to a lot of stereotypes & prejudice on the mainland but that is usually coming from Whites. I grew up partly in East L.A. and was involved in gangs as a teenager... so I am not particularly wary of my urban peeps. In California, I've had Samoan & Native Hawaiian friends... and thought they were some of the coolest people on the planet. But in Honolulu, I have gotten the Eye riding the bus & in a few dives (probably because I was overdressed). Is there an area of Oahu where foreigners & natives live together in relatively nice neighborhoods... with a great community feel?

> Lifestyle.... we don't surf or golf, we like to play soccer (I did see some Adult teams playing near Diamond Head so that is cool)... we like to hike, I am a huge Anthropology / National Geographic nut... we are also into sustainable, organic, high quality food & do some cooking. I am also more of a Shrimp Truck, Banh Mi & Tacos al Pastor type of guy than a Gourmet restaurant type of guy. Is there an area of Oahu with similar minded people (into food, but snobbish about decor & service etc.,)

Mahalo in advance for any advice you can give me.
Sorry, what you are looking for does not exist in Hawaii ... yep, lovely place in Many ways ... nope, I'll never go back ... we sold out and left almost two years ago now ... miss it terribly in Many ways ... none enough to make it worth returning.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM

4,746 posts, read 2,735,508 times
Aloha Pancho & Zapata!

I would love to help you folks out, but I need a little bit more info.

- Where will you be working?
- What is your monthly housing budget?
- Thinking of buying or are you going to rent?
- Do you prefer a house, condo or townhouse?
- And how big does it need to be?

--kaimuki

Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 20,587 times
I have heard that Aikahi elementary school in Kailua is pretty good. Other than that, I'd avoid public schools. My brother (white) and his wife (mexican) and their 2 kids lived in Kailua for awhile and the kids went to Kailua Intermediate. I guess it was ok, I never heard them complain much. But ultimately they moved to Arizona.

I would recommend Our Savior Lutheran School in Aiea for an affordable K-8 program (preschool too i believe). Then Lutheran HS in Honolulu is a good private school that is affordable and very ohana. Racism is almost non-existant. Mostly asian, white, hawaiian and polynesian kids. It's very small (about 200 students in highschool). There are other Lutheran schools around the island but I don't know much about them. My friend (single mom) sent her daughter to both.

There are alot of soccer clubs around. Big playing fields are in Mililani. My friend's daughter's best friend is trying for soccer scholarships. I think it's really growing. Also, I've started to notice more Mexican/Hispanic people (either coming from Mexico directly or CA, etc.) on the island, and (thank god) some decent Mexican restaurants/taqueria's starting to open up.

I moved from the bay area to Oahu about 6 years ago. I love it here, but financially it's tough and I am now working 3 jobs and going to school. I will be forced to go to grad school back in CA because my program doesnt exist here. I hope I can come back after graduation but it depends alot on the economy...

Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 94,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoku View Post
I have heard that Aikahi elementary school in Kailua is pretty good. Other than that, I'd avoid public schools. My brother (white) and his wife (mexican) and their 2 kids lived in Kailua for awhile and the kids went to Kailua Intermediate. I guess it was ok, I never heard them complain much. But ultimately they moved to Arizona.

I would recommend Our Savior Lutheran School in Aiea for an affordable K-8 program (preschool too i believe). Then Lutheran HS in Honolulu is a good private school that is affordable and very ohana. Racism is almost non-existant. Mostly asian, white, hawaiian and polynesian kids. It's very small (about 200 students in highschool). There are other Lutheran schools around the island but I don't know much about them. My friend (single mom) sent her daughter to both.

There are alot of soccer clubs around. Big playing fields are in Mililani. My friend's daughter's best friend is trying for soccer scholarships. I think it's really growing. Also, I've started to notice more Mexican/Hispanic people (either coming from Mexico directly or CA, etc.) on the island, and (thank god) some decent Mexican restaurants/taqueria's starting to open up.

I moved from the bay area to Oahu about 6 years ago. I love it here, but financially it's tough and I am now working 3 jobs and going to school. I will be forced to go to grad school back in CA because my program doesnt exist here. I hope I can come back after graduation but it depends alot on the economy...

Thanks so much for your generous insights... glad to hear there are some decent taquerias popping up. I would think Hawaii could support some authentic Mexican cooking given that so many common ingredients (Papaya, Pineapple, Coconut, Mahi-Mahi, Pork, Shrimp) and cooking techniques (Undeground Pits, Wrapping & Steaming in Leaves etc.,)... the main things that need to be imported are stuff like Dried Chiles, Avocado Leaves, Mexican Oregano, Dried Corn etc., and that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 AM

208 posts, read 306,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioJ808 View Post
I agree with Terrie, the school system sucks. Put your child into a private school. If you accept that job in Honolulu be very aware that gas prices are the highest in the nation, bread is more than $3.00 a loaf and the traffice is horrific if you want to live in a green urban area. Racism? I liken it to being able to laugh at yourself first stereo-typically. I'm a mix of things but very much a "local". My family has "plantation roots" and it was if you can laugh @ yourself first then getting along with different cultures can be easier. I make jokes about my heritage all the time. But I point out mannerisms of myself in comparison to the stereo type. Gotta have humor. But if you are quick to judge and critic ever so harshly, it will be reflected back. Karma you know
Yes, food is expensive here but we are definitely not that expensive when it comes to gas. In fact, the national average is now $3.62/gallon. I just filled up my tank tonight at $3.61/gallon at Costco. So I paid 1 cent less than the average Joe in all of America.

Racism is very mild in Hawaii - probably the lowest in the country (at least from my perspective having visited many other states in our country).

Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 AM

2,086 posts, read 1,292,130 times
Moving to Hawaii is a huge decision. You should go there and look around. It comes down to what you can afford. The public schools are a joke, so if you can afford a private school, there are lots to choose from. Hawaii is almost like a whole other country. It could get some getting used to. Also if you should ever want or have to leave, it can be hard. My parents wanted to leave and we were "stuck there" of 2 more years. So just keep that in mind also.
Each person has their own unique experience, so you can never know for sure what yours will be like until you do it. Just get as informed as you can, and go with the flow! Life on Hawaii is interesting to say the least!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 AM

60 posts, read 266,486 times
WARNING

i cant find good pastor anywere on the island..... everything else tho... is paradise bra... i moved from northern cali about a year ago.... but i love hawaii

if u can get over no good taco shops.. and no roach coaches.... ull do fine..

the roach coaches out here only sell this meet covers in terriake... no beuno....

good luck tho.. my advice.... do it.. at any cost.. make it happen..... u wont regret it

mahalos
be blessed

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-26-2008 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Dude, do not discuss illegal activities on this site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu