Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM

3,806 posts, read 2,098,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yeah I think Tacoma is even worse than Seattle honestly, the 16 curve and anything near JBLM=parking lot from 3:30am-10pm
My God! Sounds dreadful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 05:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,506,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yeah I’ve seen those as well, but I can tell you just based on personal experience that there’s no real comparison.

Honolulu is terrible, no doubt, but I think where those larger metros get you is in the surrounding areas, something Honolulu doesn’t have. So while the (relativity small) core of Honolulu may be just as bad, you won’t be running into the same scope of traffic jams like you would in those other places 50, 60, and even 70 miles away from the city center.

Seattle, for example, can literally be bumper-to-bumper from north pf Marysville some 50 miles to the north to south of Olympia some 60 miles to the south, at the same time
The studies mentioned cities, not metro areas. I've been stuck in rush hour traffic in both metro areas and I don't see how the Seattle area is worse than Honolulu. Now if you're comparing driving from Tacoma to downtown Seattle with driving from Salt Lake to downtown Honolulu, of course it'll take longer. 30 miles in traffic will take you longer than 5 miles in traffic almost anywhere. I've also talked to others who said Honolulu traffic is comparable, or even worse, than places like Seattle or LA. Compared on a mile to mile basis, Honolulu's traffic is right up there with the worst in the nation.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
What makes traffic on Oahu much worse than an LA or Seattle, in my opinion, is when there is an accident - you are extremely limited in alternative routes - you've got ocean on one side you - mountains on the other.

Anybody get stuck in the mess Friday night - people ran out of gas sitting in the traffic.

Following infuriating Kalihi gridlock, drivers wonder if it could

Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 AM

Is expanding freeways or developing rail transit an option or does limited land put the brakes on that?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
does limited land put the brakes on that?
It is a 40 by 20 mile island - surrounded by ocean and mountains. Brakes.

San Francisco to San Jose is farther than the entire width of Oahu

Old 03-25-2019, 03:28 AM

451 posts, read 405,768 times
Seattle (proper) has a narrow, hour-glass shape as a consequence of originally being sited between two large bodies of water: Lake Washington and Puget Sound. Lake Washington is a fresh water lake about twenty-two miles in length and lies to the east. Within city limits, I would guess Seattle is only 5 or miles miles wide at its greatest width. In this regard, when considering traffic flows, Seattle and the southern half of Oahu have some resemblances.

Interestingly, both cities/counties have attempted to deal with the vehicle congestion by building rail in various forms. Both
have been plagued by cost overruns and funding concerns.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is a 40 by 20 mile island - surrounded by ocean and mountains. Brakes.

San Francisco to San Jose is farther than the entire width of Oahu
Ok. Wow.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,131,651 times
Honolulu's traffic is only bad on certain hours, certain days and certain directions.

If you travel between 10 am to 3 pm to anywhere on the island, traffic is smooth pending some unforeseen problems. The traffic on weekend is quiet.

Even during rush hour, only traffic towards Leeward side from town is terrible. Traffic towards Waikiki, the East Side and the Windward side is bad but not terrible.

In Mainland cities like NYC, the traffic can be pretty bad during most hours of the day.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:17 PM

206 posts, read 184,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Is expanding freeways or developing rail transit an option or does limited land put the brakes on that?
Oh man, dont get a Hawaii resident started on rail. We have had a light rail under construction since 2008. It was originally supposed to cost 4 billion with federal subsidies. Projected cost now is 10 billion, and the federal money is no longer guaranteed because the rail is under federal investigation for mismanagement. Keep in mind the entire route (which has even been shortened due to difficulties) was ONLY 24 miles...

10 billion for 24 miles of rail...

Our taxes have been raised indefinitely, our traffic snarled, businesses affected by over a decade of construction, and the independent traffic studies that have been done say the rail will do next to nothing to improve traffic.

Ever see The Simpsons Monorail episode? That's Honolulu, Hawaii in real life.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,131,651 times
Honolulu's traffic congestion has recently dropped to the 18th nationwide:
New report says Honolulu

Maybe Honolulu is not getting any better, but the other cities are getting worse.

Honolulu's rail under construction has just earned the "honor" to be the front page story of Wall Street Journal with such title:
How a Train Through Paradise Turned Into a $9 Billion Debacle
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-2...le-11553270393
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: