Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivorqt View Post
me too, i havent left oahu since 2007

if your the type that's spontaneous, loves change, and not willing to put down roots, you'll get island fever
Last trip to Kauai, met a sushi chef who hadn't been to the other side of Kauai in 16 years, where he graduated high school. Guess we like change and too spontaneous for living. A visit once a year is wonderful.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Not if there's an airport nearby. You can fly to Vegas, or San Francisco, or the Bahamas at a moment's notice if you're so inclined. I'm willing to bet that mainland residents use aircraft for travel also. It isn't often that my car leaves the tri-county area around my house.

Now, paying for all that airline travel, that's another thing.

Bob
We used to travel a lot via air, but alas not much anymore. We're tired of the extra charges, delays, crowded planes, rude attendants, etc. Used to fly 75,000 miles/year for job and it has continued to get worse. We fly to HI once a year, it's a 12 hour flight for us, direct from Newark. The rest of our travel is via RV or car.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM

263 posts, read 867,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Is there a way to go from one Island to another rather inexpensively? Perhaps a boat service of some kind? Seems like a good way to get over Island fever, go visit a different island.

Not to mentions its about $100 less per ticket to travel to Vegas from HI than it is from AK. I think being from Alaska would make the transition to AK much easier. We're already isolated and used to a high cost of living. You know what hilarious? Gas is cheaper in Honolulu then in Anchorage!

What about doing fishing in Hawaii? I love to fish for halibut up here and would love to get a sailboat and do some fishing down and around Oahu. How is the fishing there and what do most people fish for?
We do have interisland airline travel and you can definitely find tickets priced less than $100/roundtrip. The two major airlines are Hawaiian Airlines and Go. I personally don't think there is much difference between the two of them as far as interisland service. However, I like Hawaiian Airlines if I'm traveling to the Mainland. The flight attendants are friendly and more importantly Hawaiian Airlines still serves food. There are also smaller charter flights but I'm not too familiar with their costs and services.

We used to have the Super Ferry but it's no longer operational so you can't take a ferry between the island. You have to fly although you might be able to find someone to take you by boat between Maui/Molokai or Maui/Molokai/Lanai.

I hear you about coming from AK to Hawaii. A friend of mine lived in Bethl, AL for several years. When we compared our cost of living she paid so much for items like shampoo and other personal care items than I did.

A lot of locals fish. It's pretty popular. My father in law goes fishing with his friends and we get ahi from him.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
I hear you about coming from AK to Hawaii. A friend of mine lived in Bethl, AL for several years. When we compared our cost of living she paid so much for items like shampoo and other personal care items than I did.

A lot of locals fish. It's pretty popular. My father in law goes fishing with his friends and we get ahi from him.
Sorry, I have to say it.... it's an Alaskan thing. Alaska's two letter state identifier is AK. AL = Alabama. Sorry, its just one of those things. Kind of like when people say Texas is the largest state....that gets us Alaskans going as well.

Yes, I am looking forward fishing. We fish like crazy up here, so much so we eat Halibut and Salmon several times a week. Its a great way to save money on food, and there's nothing like eating local foods.

Bethel is crazy, everything in that village is pretty much flown in or taken up on a very small barge so it is very expensive. From what I can see by comparing Safeway Ads Anchorage and Honolulu are very similar in price when it comes to food.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 123,985 times
I miss good Mexican food (I'm from Texas). I'm sure there are some great mexican restaurants around that I haven't stumbled upon yet...

Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,851 times
Hey kato7997, I am from Texas also. I have been here for a few years and love it. I miss two things from Texas, Mexican food and BBQ Brisket. Still love the food here though.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschleter View Post
Hey kato7997, I am from Texas also. I have been here for a few years and love it. I miss two things from Texas, Mexican food and BBQ Brisket. Still love the food here though.
Tex-Mex and briskette! Now I am dying.... I miss that so much. Wife is from Texas and knows how to cook the good stuff - and it is tough to get the right ingredients here.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 AM

19 posts, read 123,985 times
mmmm...Dickey's, Colters, and Baker's Ribs....I'm in Dallas right now so I'll have to stop by one of those joints....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Tex-Mex and briskette! Now I am dying.... I miss that so much. Wife is from Texas and knows how to cook the good stuff - and it is tough to get the right ingredients here.
Gimme a list Ill bring them out

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM

263 posts, read 867,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Sorry, I have to say it.... it's an Alaskan thing. Alaska's two letter state identifier is AK. AL = Alabama. Sorry, its just one of those things. Kind of like when people say Texas is the largest state....that gets us Alaskans going as well.
Oops, sorry!
I don't know what I was thinking. I know AK is Arkansas. One of my pet peeves is when people from the Mainland assume Hawaii is a foreign destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu