Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times

Advertisements

House or apt wise near Honolulu?

And also is the price of goods a lot higher due to being an island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 12,535 times
My parents bought a small two bedroom apartment in the "ghetto" for about 300,000. And we were lucky to get that.

I'd say you'd be able to buy a small studio in the dangerous area of town. Hawaii real estate is insane whereas most places (excluding maybe New York or California) on the mainland will cost you the same price, if not cheaper for a huge two story brand new home in an upscale neighborhood.

And being on an island has little to do with the prices, which ARE more expensive than those on the mainland. Clothing, groceries...etc are pretty steep. If you don't have a reason to be here, unlike myself who is part Hawaiian and has lived here most of my life, I don't see any reason in living in Hawaii.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
That kind of money won't get you much. The Big Island would offer more for your money, but even there you won't get a lot. There are some nice, small 3 bdrm townhouses up past the library in Hilo close to that price. Otherwise, even on that island, you are looking at a studio or 1 bdrm. You can forget a house unless it is way out in the sticks, and it will be a fixer upper. If you don't mind a lot of driving this might work, although those outlying areas have trouble w/ property crime.

Many of the condos that are in your price range are just converted apts or even hotel rooms, and your neighbors will be very different than what $200,000 should get you! The maxim is this: always buy the least place in a good neighborhood, rather than the best place in a bad neighborhood

Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollpaste. View Post
I'd say you'd be able to buy a small studio in the dangerous area of town. .
Give me an example of dangerous areas of town.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM

90 posts, read 296,730 times
Crack heads like to roam these parts of town more than the cops patrol it. lol

Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Default What does $200,000 get you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
House or apt wise near Honolulu?

And also is the price of goods a lot higher due to being an island?
The last sales of units in the Marine Surf Waikiki, a condo studio property with a small hotel operation in the heart of Waikiki, were both at $205,000. I stayed there last week for a few days, playing tourist. It's far from new (1967) but has been kept up well, and is right in the heart of Waikiki:

Oahu Real Estate Neighborhood CMA View

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu