Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM

109 posts, read 350,907 times

Advertisements

My Fiance's sister, husband, and child lived there for about 3 years. We visited them 3 times and it was amazing. It was clean, the units were big, pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, lagoons, etc. It seemed as if everyone had their own golf cart to go around the resort in. It was really nice. wish I could live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 AM

134 posts, read 516,716 times
We lived at The Waterfront at Puuloa in Ewa Beach, but Kapolei and Ko'olina were closer than driving into town, so we'd go have dinner there or use that Costco's. Kahe Point Beach (aka Electric Beach) is nice and is one of the better snorkeling/diving spots on the island.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 17,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvr-hawaii View Post
Wow, good to know. I did not know about that change and it does sound like a huge negative traffic impact to Ko Olina, though I think everyone probably saw that coming once Disney was completed.

For those locals living in Ko Olina as long-term residents, what impact has the increased traffic and tourism had upon the lagoons in terms of beaches, water quality, atmosphere, etc?

We moved to KoOlina over a year ago. The traffic wasn't too bad. As soon as Disney opened up the Aulani, the traffic has increased big time. The big intersection at KoOlina station should probably now have a traffic signal and they should put up bridge for pedestrians. The tourists don't know that there is oncoming traffic, but they think it's a 4-way stop and there have been many times they have pulled out in front of me and others, almost causing a very bad. If there are big groups of pedestrians walking across the street, they tend to form a train that takes up the entire road causing cars to back up in the intersection. There have been several times leaving KoOlina to get onto the freeway, where the car in front just suddenly stops, not pulls over, but just stops in the middle of the road just to take a picture of the golf course not thinking that there are cars right behind them. It's quite busy now and they don't seem to be paying attention to what is going on. It's very frustrating.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,490 times
I absolutely agree. A traffic light is needed at that intersection, but I don't think that will happen until there is a fatality.

Members of the Athletic club get weekly emails reminding everyone to drive the speed limit, yet there is no enforcement with tourists, local beach users or tour buses. The only people getting "warnings" are the people who live here and have registered their car with the HOA.

Humbug!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvr-hawaii View Post
I don't think many of the communities enforce the vacation rental minimums much. The reason being is if they did you would have many owners that would walk away from those homes, increasing the foreclosures and short sales in the area, which no one in a community wants to see happen. Many owners rely on that additional vacation rental income to pay their mortgages so it is something that is allowed to go on. In most cases it does not cause any problems and certainly does a lot to help the local economy in terms of those visitors frequenting businesses and bringing their money to the community, which in turn helps those who live there and rely on getting jobs in the area.

It is impossible to know which communities have more vacation rentals than others, but I expect that all Ko Olina communities have more long-term residents than they do short-term vacation rentals. Kai Lani, Coconut Plantation and Ko Olina Kai are all gated and the others are not gated. Yet, the Resort itself has a gated entrance with 24/7 manned security station (the Aloha Team), so you do get a good feeling of security and safety there. If you look at HPD's crime mapper you'll notice that Ko Olina has very low incidence of any crime, compared with other areas on the island.

Rents are also higher within Ko Olina than they are in other areas of Kapolei/Makakilo. It is a great resort community and there are a lot of families that live there....it is just a matter of finding ways to get out and meet them. If you can get a golf cart then that is a fun way to get around the resort as well.

Even though this is an old post, I'm going to rebutt the statement that short term rentals don't affect those who live here. It does. Kai Lani currently has fewer than 11% owner occupied. 11%! Now for those poor souls trying to sell, no one will buy there because of it. Ko Olina Kai is at 33%. No one can get financing and currently the HOA has repossed 9 units due to non payment. Trust me, if you had to live next door to a vacation rental, turning over every week...you'd be screaming bloody murder!

We've had an increase in property crimes and several weeks ago an intruder was found in one of the golf estates. When people know the homes are empty or filled with tourists, its an easy mark. It defeats the purpose of having a gated, secured entrance if those who choose to illegally rent their units as vacation rentals are giving the keys to a new stranger every week.

The owners in KOK are actively seeking out and persuing those scoff laws who signed the HOA agreement and then disregarded the bylaws. If you want to live in a motel 6, thats your choice. But for those who bought in a residential area, it is safe to assume they didn't expect it to turn into a
condo-tel. Which by the way is what mortgage brokers call any development with less than 50% owner/residents.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
Jolie, this is exactly what is happening in so many other areas of Oahu. The Windward Coast, the North Shore---all are being overrun by illegal vacation rentals in residential areas.
The laws are already on the books---what is lacking is enforcement.
I've seen a bit of improvement in my area (Kailua) but the whole issue is just crazy.
Money talks, I guess....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:11 AM

PaliPatty,

Yes, its hard to get people to understand. Hawaii is a great place to visit, but not everyone, everywhere is here to cater to your vacation! Not to mention that people come here to relax and then drive like jackholes through residential areas. Really?

We've had to call the police over some of the yahoos that have rented condos out here. When you rent over a website, you have no idea what sort of person you are releasing on your neighborhood. A couple snowbirds here for the winter, no problem. Bachelor party with your 7 best golfing buddies....not cool.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
This is a good thread for understanding why single family homes appreciate so much more than condo's - a huge number of condo complexes (especially Waikiki) don't meet the 50% owner occupancy standard for lenders so people can't sell or newcomers can't get financing.....

You can get a convential loan for $721K with 5% down on single family homes (789K for FHA, but the fees are to high) - most condo's don't qualify.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 25,718 times
I know this thread is a little dated but it gives me great data on Ko'Olina & why we probably shouldn't rent there when we get on island in October.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Even though this is an old post, I'm going to rebutt the statement that short term rentals don't affect those who live here. It does. Kai Lani currently has fewer than 11% owner occupied. 11%! Now for those poor souls trying to sell, no one will buy there because of it. Ko Olina Kai is at 33%. No one can get financing and currently the HOA has repossed 9 units due to non payment. Trust me, if you had to live next door to a vacation rental, turning over every week...you'd be screaming bloody murder!

We've had an increase in property crimes and several weeks ago an intruder was found in one of the golf estates. When people know the homes are empty or filled with tourists, its an easy mark. It defeats the purpose of having a gated, secured entrance if those who choose to illegally rent their units as vacation rentals are giving the keys to a new stranger every week.

The owners in KOK are actively seeking out and persuing those scoff laws who signed the HOA agreement and then disregarded the bylaws. If you want to live in a motel 6, thats your choice. But for those who bought in a residential area, it is safe to assume they didn't expect it to turn into a
condo-tel. Which by the way is what mortgage brokers call any development with less than 50% owner/residents.
You need to be proactive. I'd make sure every board member knew the law and would encourage posting this on site. Why not make copies and tape on any door you think is being illegaly rented?
Attached Thumbnails
Living in Ko'olina-violation.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu