Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 11:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I highly doubt many people even know about this law - literally a fraction of the population.
That's why it's a ridiculous law. Because it literally makes no sense. Politicians doing whatever it takes to get votes. The tow truck companies and business owners that deal with illegally parked cars don't get the support because they are maybe 2% of the voting population. There are certain things the "majority" should not decide, this is one of them.

Enforcing speeding is another. Because for every person that actually cares about saving lives, there are 10 or more that want to continue speeding and not have to pay a penalty for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:55 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
That's why it's a ridiculous law. Because it literally makes no sense. Politicians doing whatever it takes to get votes. The tow truck companies and business owners that deal with illegally parked cars don't get the support because they are maybe 2% of the voting population. There are certain things the "majority" should not decide, this is one of them.
It makes perfect sense. If the vehicle needs to be moved from where it is, and the owner can move it instead of incurring costs in towing charges, “Storage fees” for the time it is in the lot, and a way to get to the lot, why wouldn’t you allow the owner to move it?

I bet the state put the law in place because it’s basically an extreme form of punishment for the ‘have-nots’.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
It makes perfect sense. If the vehicle needs to be moved from where it is, and the owner can move it instead of incurring costs in towing charges, “Storage fees” for the time it is in the lot, and a way to get to the lot, why wouldn’t you allow the owner to move it?

I bet the state put the law in place because it’s basically an extreme form of punishment for the ‘have-nots’.
Because only middle class and poor people get their cars towed?

Apparently you feel it's OK to break the law, make others suffer and incur costs all while experiencing zero consequences in doing so.

I believe that people need to incur some type of repercussion for their illegal actions as it ultimately reduces repeat offenses. No repercussions and people will continue to repeat the same offenses. This is normal human behavior.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Because only middle class and poor people get their cars towed?

Apparently you feel it's OK to break the law, make others suffer and incur costs all while experiencing zero consequences in doing so.

I believe that people need to incur some type of repercussion for their illegal actions as it ultimately reduces repeat offenses. No repercussions and people will continue to repeat the same offenses. This is normal human behavior.
I never said anything about it being ok to break the law. It appears as though you are projecting your beliefs because you seem offended.

Have a nice day, I have no reason to continue this conversation.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
I never said anything about it being ok to break the law. It appears as though you are projecting your beliefs because you seem offended.

Have a nice day, I have no reason to continue this conversation.
Perhaps he/she owns a tow truck company

Old 03-04-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Perhaps he/she owns a tow truck company
LOL. I wish he/she stayed. I wanted to suggest charging no fees to drop hooked up cars to anyone making <$50K/year and $1,000 for anyone that made over $250K/year. I think that would have been much better received. Live and learn I guess.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
LOL. I wish he/she stayed. I wanted to suggest charging no fees to drop hooked up cars to anyone making <$50K/year and $1,000 for anyone that made over $250K/year. I think that would have been much better received. Live and learn I guess.
You made an assumption on my position, that’s what I was referring to. Suggesting fee thresholds is clearly just a snarky comment. Nobody is going to have to share their income to random towing company employees.

My whole point was that the concept of allowing the owner to move a car makes sense because the vehicle gets moved out of the offending location. Any associated law breaking should be dealt with before the tow truck arrives.

Tow trucks are tools to move vehicles from places they should not be. They shouldn’t be a punitive measure where individual companies get to dictate the cost of the punishment....unless they want to be regulated. Maybe the fees are regulated, idk. Lot storage fees, towing fees, and how people get to the storage lot are all costly => punitive.

Another little known fact is that the storage lot fees can be used by the lot to assume ownership of a vehicle. I worked for a local insurance company when I found out about that little nugget.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Now that we all know the tow truck law - and you are welcome everyone. I'll note the below.

I've had to do quite a bit of driving around the island the past few days. From what I can tell - cops everywhere targeting speeders, far more than usual. Waze is lit up with police.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:17 PM

449 posts, read 194,723 times
Quote:
4 tickets an hour seems pretty aggressive when you think about all things that need to happen -

Get set up - find a speeder - get him/her pulled over - run the plate - have the inevitable discussion (do you know why I pulled you over, license and registration - the back and forth) - run the drivers license - write the actual ticket(s) - go back to the driver and explain everything - send him/her on their way - and either go back to a staging area or set up again.....
From the article:

“For each hour of grant overtime worked, it is projected that each officer will generate FOUR (4) speed-related contacts,” the email said. “Each stop shall be counted as one contact”.

From the article it doesn't "appear" to be 4 speeding tickets, but "contacts." So it may lower the bar for the PO to meet their quotas. How would they go about recording each "contact" to count towards their quota of stops I wonder ?

A warning could be for those not substantially over the speed limit and a citation for those who are. And both would be acknowledged as a "contact" towards the 4 stops I assume.

Not a lawyer but doesn't this put these requirements under question ?

“(The feds) don’t care how many tickets you give,” Attorney Victor Bakke said. “They want to see if the enforcement tools that are being used are resulting in less accidents, less deaths.”

Since these new actions will not improve road improvements (nothing has.... higher fines for citations, raising car registration fees, etc.) the non-improvement of road repairs may work against them as people slow down in pothole land.... though swerving may land them a "contact" with a PO for what appears to be DUI, but will just be reckless (necessity) driving as government induced due to negligence on their part.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:

My whole point was that the concept of allowing the owner to move a car makes sense because the vehicle gets moved out of the offending location. Any associated law breaking should be dealt with before the tow truck arrives.

Tow trucks are tools to move vehicles from places they should not be. They shouldn’t be a punitive measure where individual companies get to dictate the cost of the punishment....unless they want to be regulated. Maybe the fees are regulated, idk. Lot storage fees, towing fees, and how people get to the storage lot are all costly => punitive.

In theory I agree with you... but in reality, things are very different. Let's say you are a business owner that parks inside your enclosed one car garage... but when you are ready to drive home from work you see that a car is blocking the driveway despite having a tow sign on your garage door.

Going with your concept of how things should work, you would need to call the police with a "non emergency" call, (which can take 30 mins to an hour or more for them to show up). Then when they arrive they will ticket the offender. Once the car is ticketed, then you have the right to call a tow company and remove the vehicle so you can go home.

If you were that business owner, would you want to have to go through a two-step process depending on the reliability of the city and then a private company to allow you to get home to your family? Or would you prefer that you can call a tow company directly to handle the car in an expeditious manner?

Maybe to you it's not important and you can can just wait an hour or two for the two-step process? Let's pretend you were late for a very important appointment. Or that you were rushing out because of a *fill in the blank* emergency. Does that change your perspective?

When you actually walk through real life scenarios that occur every single day, you may have a little bit of sympathy for those that are impacted by people that don't respect the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu