Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 03:19 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at Waikiki apartments on zillow.com. The HOA Fees run around US$1,000/month.

That kind of kills the idea of buying a condo if the HOA FEES are higher than rent. Or has the rent skyrocketed incredibly high to cover the already super high HOA fees in Waikiki?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 01:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I was just looking at Waikiki apartments on zillow.com. The HOA Fees run around US$1,000/month.
That's been the going rate for 10+ years - not just Waikiki

Old 09-06-2021, 03:40 PM

959 posts, read 1,201,877 times
The decision to buy vs rent would depend a lot on your goals. HOA fees are high and if you’re buying for investment it can suck away you’re margins pretty fast. Many people just buy hoping rent will cover their costs and still allow occasional use if it’s not a permanent residence.

There are some lower HOA fee properties out there though. A lot depends on the type of building. Pualei Circle area is by Kapiolani Park just outside Waikiki and has a lot of low-rise walk-ups. But it’s a nice little pocket in my opinion and most buildings in there have reasonable HOA’s.

One building I’ve been looking at is Cove Waikiki. Low-rise, 5 story building built in 2015 in a quiet area of Waikiki with low HOA fees. If I were serious about buying another condo in Waikiki, it’s a building I would consider.

Are you looking to buy ? If I remember correctly, last time I saw you post you were living in Asia ... Japan I think.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:43 PM

30,462 posts, read 17,888,365 times
I own in Maliki and my monthly fees are $770 a month. But while these fees are high, honestly a lot comes down to what they cover. Mine covers water, sewage, cable, amenities to include rooftop pool and bbq areas, 24/7 security and grounds upkeep, etc. If you’re a family and have water and sewage taken care of, that could be a few hundred (I’m actually just throwing that price out as I don’t actually know, though I have heard anecdotes) accounted for right there. Granted, in my case it is a lot as I would not get or use to the same extent the bulk of the services that I have. But that’s me.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,084,500 times
If you are seeing HOA fees of $1,000, you are likely looking at 2 bedroom condos. Average rent for 2 bedroom is $3,500. (assuming you want a dishwasher and a washer/dryer in the unit).

Condo’s just don’t appreciate like an actual house does. And the 40+yr old condo’s in Waikiki are only going to have their dues go up and up. It’s a systematic issue of how the condo management and repair business works. You can pretty much always assume a 3% raise in the dues. Add assessments for things the board did not want to budget for, and the real fun begins. If someone is looking to buy/invest in a place to live, I would never recommend anyone buy a condo in Waikiki. If it is a vacation home, and you have no plans to turn a profit, great location, easy to rent out.

Last edited by Dthraco; 09-07-2021 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post

Condo’s just don’t appreciate like an actual house does. And the 40+yr old condo’s in Waikiki are only going to have their dues go up and up.

If someone is looking to buy/invest in a place to live, I would never recommend anyone buy a condo in Waikiki.
True - a condo will not appreciate like a single family home.

On the other hand, lots of reasons to consider a condo

Can't afford a single family home - many condos has a lower entry point

The view

Convenience - no need to cut the grass, replace the water heater, paint the exterior, replace the roof - expenses to maintain your single family home add up

A pool

Old 09-07-2021, 11:05 AM

17,877 posts, read 15,727,124 times
What if you buy condo hotel room?

Old 09-08-2021, 12:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
I'd rent before I bought and I'd be looking in Kaka'ako, not Waikiki.

Old 09-08-2021, 04:34 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,049,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
True - a condo will not appreciate like a single family home.

Not true. Some condos appreciate more than some houses.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Not true. Some condos appreciate more than some houses.
Sure - if one buys a home in Ewa Beach versus a condo in Kakaako - you are bound to have differences.

But apples to apples - especially on Oahu, single family home appreciate faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu