Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 10:31 AM

122 posts, read 82,712 times

Advertisements

I have recently noticed several intersections that suddenly have "No Right Turn on Red" signs, where previously it was routine, and even marked that such turn WAS allowed.

Ala Moana Blvd onto Kalakaua; Hobron onto Ala Moana are two that I travel multiple times per week.

Very annoying... Maybe if we had better (or any?) Driver Training, people would be more likely to properly make these turns (from the closest lane TO the closest lane, NOT waiting for three or four clear lanes to turn wide) or even to (GASP!) Merge properly (by NOT pulling all the way to the traffic lane and stopping)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 11:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post

Ala Moana Blvd onto Kalakaua; Hobron onto Ala Moana are two that I travel multiple times per week.

This must be very recent as in this week.

Between a lot of pedestrians and speeding cars with a combo of tourists I'm not surprised.

Given the amount of red light running I see in Hawaii - most will probably take the new signs as suggestions.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Those streets are the most traveled, and congested streets in the city. I guess the city figured to make the changes and make no-turn on red signs.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:26 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,889 times
Those intersections are really bad when it comes to cars harassing pedestrians crossing. Yes, people go when there are 2 seconds left on the count-down, but that can’t really be solved. Making people get used to not going eliminates that confrontation all together. And avoiding confrontation is quite engrained in the local culture.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Those are several of the most dangerous intersections on the island. More accidents in that area than almost anywhere else.

Old 07-19-2022, 06:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,632 times
Probably because drivers /pedestrian accidents have occurred at those intersections. Sometimes drivers don't understand that pedestrians and cycles are road users too.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 PM

122 posts, read 82,712 times
There have been many additional "No Right Turn on Red" signs added to intersections, with several in/around Waikiki also allowing pedestrian crossing in all directions/diagonal at once. Huge time waster for drivers, especially on certain routes.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
There have been many additional "No Right Turn on Red" signs added to intersections, with several in/around Waikiki also allowing pedestrian crossing in all directions/diagonal at once. Huge time waster for drivers, especially on certain routes.
How many times have you been at an intersection where people are crossing in the same direction of traffic yet there are no vehicles passing through? This happens all the time. The point of an all-way crosswalk is to improve the flow of both vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic. They've been using them on Kalakaua for many months and it has actually improved traffic flow on Kalakaua. Hopefully there aren't enough people like you complaining about this because I think it's a great idea. It's also far safer for pedestrians which sadly many drivers don't care about because they're too impatient to wait an extra 30 seconds in their commute.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
The point of an all-way crosswalk is to improve the flow of both vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic.
I don't mind all-way crosswalks but the proliferation of no turn on red signs has gotten out of hand and definitely has impacted traffic. And speaking of out of hand - the speed bumps on the island is way out of control - on the windward side they are even installing them where no crosswalk exists - if speed is an issue, give out tickets.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't mind all-way crosswalks but the proliferation of no turn on red signs has gotten out of hand and definitely has impacted traffic. And speaking of out of hand - the speed bumps on the island is way out of control - on the windward side they are even installing them where no crosswalk exists - if speed is an issue, give out tickets.
I'm assuming all-way intersections require no right on red because cars will attempt to turn while people are crossing and people aren't wired to detect the presence of oncoming people from all angles. It would be unsafe for people crossing if cars could legally drive into an active all-way crosswalk. If anything, intersections should incorporate dedicated green right arrow signals to signal drivers it's safe to turn right without looking for pedestrians since they are not allowed to cross the street at all when the light is green (for all-way pedestrian crossings). In the absence of all-way crossings, cars even with a green light need to yield to pedestrians when turning right. Incorporating dedicated green arrow signals could help move traffic along faster when right turn drivers have the right of way.

As for the speed bumps, you can blame that on the general public. The only cost effective way to curb speeding is to either put speed bumps everywhere or use speed cameras. Our police force is severely understaffed and has no time to sufficiently cite drivers for speeding. The public was outraged with Van cams (I thought they were a GREAT idea) when they were first used. Generally speaking, the majority of the general public is selfish and will put their own time over public safety. So they'll be against speed enforcement of any kind that results in tickets. So speed bumps is what we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu