Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 03:24 AM

25 posts, read 19,858 times

Advertisements

According to various rental/real estate sites, many rental apartments/townhouses/houses in Hawaii do not allow pets. Those with pets, how do you keep pets if you don’t own your place?

Plumeria20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 07:25 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,889 times
Played that game before we bought a condo in Waikiki and then again after we sold it before moving back to the mainland. (10 years total in HI)

Overall it’s a tough market to find rentals if you have pets. Many condo buildings have bylaws that don’t allow pets. The one’s that do, charge a premium and the owners charge pet rent. Occasionally you can find an owner that will allow pets and not charge pet rent, but that’s pretty rare.

We paid pet rent (for pets, not per pet) in the first two condo’s we lived in before buying our own. Had 3 cats. Mostly we just had to find landlords that would allow it. The first place we moved into was not a nice place to live, but it gave us the ability to play the ‘game’. Good rentals are snatched up really quick because there are alot of people in that same situation….in a bad place looking for a nice one.

My experience was on Oahu, don’t have any input for the other islands. Best of luck.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Played that game before we bought a condo in Waikiki and then again after we sold it before moving back to the mainland. (10 years total in HI)

Overall it’s a tough market to find rentals if you have pets. Many condo buildings have bylaws that don’t allow pets. The one’s that do, charge a premium and the owners charge pet rent. Occasionally you can find an owner that will allow pets and not charge pet rent, but that’s pretty rare.

We paid pet rent (for pets, not per pet) in the first two condo’s we lived in before buying our own. Had 3 cats. Mostly we just had to find landlords that would allow it. The first place we moved into was not a nice place to live, but it gave us the ability to play the ‘game’. Good rentals are snatched up really quick because there are alot of people in that same situation….in a bad place looking for a nice one.

My experience was on Oahu, don’t have any input for the other islands. Best of luck.
Hello Dthraco,

Thank you for your input.
Yes, looks like we’d need to play the "game" in Oahu, the first island being considered for the move.
We have 2 cats.

May I ask why you’ve moved back to mainland after a decade in Oahu?

Plumeria20

Old 02-28-2023, 01:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Pet friendly rentals can certainly be found on Oahu and I see plenty listed.

With that said, your options will be much more limited. For rentals that exclude pets, you can always try to proactively offer more rent per month.

Oahu is not a pet friendly rental area simply because demand for rentals is strong and landlords don't have to offer that incentive.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Pet friendly rentals can certainly be found on Oahu and I see plenty listed.

With that said, your options will be much more limited. For rentals that exclude pets, you can always try to proactively offer more rent per month.

Oahu is not a pet friendly rental area simply because demand for rentals is strong and landlords don't have to offer that incentive.

Hello whtviper1,

I do see a limited number of pet-friendly rentals around Oahu. Maybe one out of 10 rentals.
Another concern would be how the cats are going to tolerate and survive the trip across the ocean…

Plumeria20

Old 03-01-2023, 08:12 AM

30,618 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria20 View Post
Hello whtviper1,

I do see a limited number of pet-friendly rentals around Oahu. Maybe one out of 10 rentals.
Another concern would be how the cats are going to tolerate and survive the trip across the ocean…

Plumeria20
Do your cats have any health issues identified by a vet that give you concern? Otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Plenty of pets (cats, dogs, etc.) make that trip daily. My cat has made it twice; once in 2019 and once in 2022.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria20 View Post
Hello whtviper1,

Plumeria20
Your cats will be annoyed, that’s about it. (Mine have made the trip a few times)

Old 03-01-2023, 03:35 PM

122 posts, read 82,597 times
Here is a link to the Hawaiian Humane Society "Pets in Housing" page. Click on their link for an exhaustive list of pet friendly buildings on Oahu, by region: https://hawaiianhumane.org/pets-in-housing/

Old 03-02-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Here is a link to the Hawaiian Humane Society "Pets in Housing" page. Click on their link for an exhaustive list of pet friendly buildings on Oahu, by region: https://hawaiianhumane.org/pets-in-housing/
Beachbum808,

Just what we needed! Mahalo!

Plumeria20

Old 03-03-2023, 02:21 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,920 times
I appreciate that you’re asking about pets and looking to find a rental the right way.

My condo building does not allow pets based on association by-laws. Yet, I still have occasionally seen a pet. One had a service dog jacket on. But it was just a little pug that likely was not really trained/certified as an actual service dog. And another little dog that didn’t even bother to have a service jacket. Thankfully, both pets seem to be gone now.

Anyway, I appreciate that you are exploring the appropriate options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu