Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Finally! Yay us!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Finally! Yay us!!!
Sorry guys i don't like being a bummer and don't want to be. Its just im not going to sit around with my "well because we live in hawaii everything is peachy great in paradise" mask on. Yes everything is great in paradise but everything is not great in paradise lol.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
We have low poverty rates, high credit scores, and it is 77 degrees in January at 830pm as I type this, sounds like a good start to me.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We have low poverty rates, high credit scores, and it is 77 degrees in January at 830pm as I type this, sounds like a good start to me.
Ya if your not one of the poor guys being homeless etc, but still its being homeless in hawaii! But like I said yes everything is great in paradise but everything is not great in paradise lol. Night Mahalo Aloha.

Oh and viper you have higher, you forget the migration effect. For example you go Auwe! Portland the city has 4,000 homeless people at anygivin night. But you forget that half of them are from different cities and states because portland is a friendly city to the homeless. More services, less violence, more giving, kinder weather etc etc. Samething with poor here, navada, california are shipping there mentally ill here because we have alot of services for those in need. So its really hard to tell how bad things are here. As for Hawai'i your isolated, you don't have that issue so, every homeless or person of poverty is yours.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-14-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Of course homelessness is a problem. It' a problem everywhere, so why worry about another state. Now I will stand corrected, if you also have these posts in your own home state. Yes, it is absolutely your right to choose what to be interested in, but you gotta take the hits then.

If I, as a step parent of only 1 year, head over to the parenting forum and start making all kinds of kid and parenting based posts and arguing with parents, I'm gonna get some (deserved) hits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Of course homelessness is a problem. It' a problem everywhere, so why worry about another state. Now I will stand corrected, if you also have these posts in your own home state. Yes, it is absolutely your right to choose what to be interested in, but you gotta take the hits then.

If I, as a step parent of only 1 year, head over to the parenting forum and start making all kinds of kid and parenting based posts and arguing with parents, I'm gonna get some (deserved) hits.
Yes I have talked about the homeless issue on the portland and political sites. Taking hits as you say? Disagreeing is fine, debate even better. Being disagreeable is not.

You know whats discusting and I mean no offense is how you don't even give me any credit for living in Hawai'i for 12years(which is far more then most on this site), being born there, going to school on the islands. You assume that is irrelevant, but what you ignore(maybe by choice) is it isn't irrelevant. Cont next post

Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM

(cont from above post)

Especially when talking about issues on the island such as homelessness or cost of living, If you forget, I remember a different time in Hawai'i were homelessness was unheard of and things were expensive but still afordable, were we did things differently. But instead of going wow what did the previous generation do that was different that made life easier on the islands. You cling to now like it was the only reality, instead of pondering what is different and maybe learning from it to change the issues of now.

Further maybe instead of making excuses and justifying why things are bad (such as well homelessness is on the rise everywere so no biggie or well our poverty is lower then everyone elses so no issue, its the market etc etc) Think of solutions. I have people who tell me you know Hbh things are not that bad as CDF makes them out to be. But comming from the knowledge that i and others as old and older on the islands had of what Hawai'i was alot would say yes (cont next post)

Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM

There is alot wrong with Hawai'i.

In reality, not the CDF universe of reality, I have earned my respect by being born in Hawai'i, State of Hawai'i on my birth certificate, by going to public school in Hawai'i and my love for aina and her people, which is far more then most of the ones making hits. Further its not like im new to cdf universe. Ive been here on a daily bases for awhile.

In conclusion, im not the one bringing up these topics im just responding and trying to find solutions, but before solutions can happen we have to agree there is a problem first.

And no it wasnt my intention to focus these posts at you Mikala43, its really a general statement.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-14-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Also just incase you wantted to know the Homeless in Portland is a pretty simple case. Most locals complain about the amount of beggers and panhandlers there are, solutions are to rally around and cut programs to solve the issue, hire private police forces to sweep homeless out of areas. When all they have to do is just quit giving there money to panhandlers and beggers. Quit giving there money to them and they will go somewere else. When beggers in portland can make a $100 a day begging then why work? or go anywere else. But we refuse to do that and so we get more and more beggers. I care about everybody, it would be different if we didn't give the money to beggers and they would starve, but in portland you can get 3 hot meals everyday free, free healthcare, free treatment if your an addict, we have enough shelter space for 2/3 of the homeless. So its a different issue then in Hawaii

Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Default Poverty Level Tables

This seems to have gotten a little confused in the debate... Poverty Level Guidelines are set each year by the Federal Government, and they are set out as separate charts for the 48 Contiguous States, for Alaska, and for Hawai'i. They are formulated by the number of people in the household. So for example, on the mainland the 2013 poverty levels for 1, 3, and 8 members in the household are listed as

Mainland

1 - $11,490
3 - $19,530
8 - $39,630
Addl - $4,020

As compared with...
Hawai'i

1 - $13,230
3 - $22,470
8 - $45,570
Addl - $4,620

So if you have a family of 3 in Hawai'i with a combined gross income from all sources of less than $22,470 then you meet the federal definition of being below the poverty level, and 3 people will be added to that gross count.

In addition you will see the Poverty Level Plus calculations on various program websites to distinguish eligibility for whatever they are offering. For example, when I was trying to help someone last year to find affordable housing on the Big Island, I located an apartment complex in Kona with sub-market rents, that you must qualify for by having an income, IIRC, below 133% of the poverty level. So for one person that would equal a max income of $17,596, and she was eligible to apply.

Here's one of the sites that uses these calculations:
Federal Poverty Level 2013 - 2014

Last edited by OpenD; 01-14-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu