U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,298,043 times
Default Fishing in Honolulu

I am from Michigan and I LOVE to fish.

I usually fish for largemouth bass, but I do not think there is any on th island.

Today I was walking by the ocean and fed some fish.

I was amazed at how beautiful and large the fish were.

Is it possible to fish for them off shore?

I would love to catch a barracuda!

However, I do not want to spend the massive amount of money to go on a charter boat.

Let me know your thoughts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
Get a 12' surf rod and get ready to go...I would suggest any outfit made by the Diawa company. If you are a little shy about this get an 8' rod...both will throw out about 75 to 100 yds...the reels are open-face with a wire bail...similar to the regular spinning rods you have used on the lakes but bigger and made for salt water use...after using them, hose them off with fresh water...
If there are any fish in the mountain streams of Ohau, they must have been put there by individuals...no stocking programs exist that I'm aware of and that is sad...the mountain streams could certainly support varieties of Trout...eco purity, I'm sure..
The good fishing spots are the side banks of Hanauma Bay and you might catch anything there...down around Sunset Beach is good too. Any rocky surf place is good as the fish gather in those areas...Pearl Harbor and the wharf area for flounder...down along the shore area from Barber's Point to Wiamea Bay....and even Wiamea Bay...I would think about some crab traps too...lobster in Hanama Bay, but protected.
The great baits are shrimp and squid...wish I could get out of West Virginia and do that again...to much going on here...good luck..The southern shores of Ohau were always the best...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-06-2008 at 05:38 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 AM

707 posts, read 1,298,043 times
Thanks for the info!

I bought a rod today and I am ready to go.

Can I fish around the Honolulu Harbor?

Can I use lures?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
I would use the lures to fish the surf...wading a little in the sandy areas where the lure would not get fouled...

See what the other fishermen are doing...Hawaii has everything and most people do not know that...If you are saying, "I want to sit on the harbor and fish like Andy and Opie...give it a shot...I would try the edge of Ala Moana too...My favorites were the rocks where the surf would crash...stirs up the plant life and little fish and brings in the bigger ones...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,044 times
Default Moving to Oahu, hoping to fish

That was fun to read. I am looking forward to fishing when I move to Oahu. Do you happen to know if there are fishing regulations/laws and where one might find them?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:41 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,810,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciesljo View Post
That was fun to read. I am looking forward to fishing when I move to Oahu. Do you happen to know if there are fishing regulations/laws and where one might find them?

Hawaii Fishing Regulations (http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/fish_regs/index.htm - broken link)

Hank

Old 06-26-2008, 03:29 PM

84 posts, read 260,816 times
Hypothetically, if a MAJOR disaster occurred on the mainland.....and all shipments were cut off for quite a while, and stores ran out of food, etc -

Then, what type of fishing (in hawaii) would be the best to know to maximize the amount of food one could acquire? Would you need a boat, or would shore fishing be adequate?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,044 times
Default Thanks

Hank, thanks for the fishing regulation link.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:25 AM

84 posts, read 260,816 times
No survival fisherman, eh?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM

6,922 posts, read 4,867,494 times
Default Bass fishing....

There is a fresh water reservoir on Kuaui that has Largemouth and if I remember correctly Peacock Bass. My son and I are avid Bass fisherman and are very looking forward to giving this place a go. Fish on ! bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: