U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM

30 posts, read 153,858 times

Advertisements

Moved here, live right outside Wahiawa State Freshwater Park (aka Lake Wilson).

Since it's so handy, I'm thinking about doing some fishing. I see my neighbor coming home with good-sized tilapia and God knows what else almost every day. He's Korean and speaks very little English; but I think he has stated that the fish are really great to eat.

When I mention it to other people, however, everybody wrinkles up their noses and indicates that they would never eat anything from that (seemingly somewhat polluted) lake.

Any firsthand experience and opinions here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,944,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX4now View Post

Since it's so handy, I'm thinking about doing some fishing. I see my neighbor coming home with good-sized tilapia and God knows what else almost every day. He's Korean and speaks very little English; but I think he has stated that the fish are really great to eat.

When I mention it to other people, however, everybody wrinkles up their noses and indicates that they would never eat anything from that (seemingly somewhat polluted) lake.

Here are some articles to help you decide:

'We've seen fish gasping for air' at Lake Wilson | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/pdf/lakewilson.pdf

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 PM

25 posts, read 90,949 times
Default Fishing in Lake Wilson

Hello...I was born in Wahiawa but have moved away. Anyway as for eating the talapia I personally wouldn't but only because they are bottom feeders mostly and tend to hang out near the sewer pipes to eat. If you really want to try eating it though I would breathe the fish first. Which means put it in a bucket with fresh water and let it swim around in it for awhile so that it breathes in the fresh clean water before you eat it.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM

109 posts, read 406,223 times
Quote:

Yes I have seen people fishing there I have also seen people fishing at the Ala wai canel! I have also seen people eating out of the rubbish can, but that does not mean other people should do the same. I don't advise eating the fish at Lake Wilson. Perhaps your neighbor is unaware of how polluted the water is.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 PM

4,797 posts, read 2,891,612 times
I grew up in Wahiawa and I agree with the others, don't eat the fish from Lake Wilson, the water is polluted...get plenty sewage spills.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 23,546 times
.A little known fact: The "Redman" Bass tourney was held at Lake Wilson for many years. I was cited as one of the best large mouth bass lakes in the country. The promoters didn.t want crowds so not much publicity until the tourney ended each year. They sold the bass boats they brought over at bargain prices. The shows looked great on national television. Like most bass fishing it was "catch and Release". No eating!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 23,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EIT View Post
.A little known fact: The "Redman" Bass tourney was held at Lake Wilson for many years. I was cited as one of the best large mouth bass lakes in the country. The promoters didn.t want crowds so not much publicity until the tourney ended each year. They sold the bass boats they brought over at bargain prices. The shows looked great on national television. Like most bass fishing it was "catch and Release". No eating!
I've spent many hours on that lake and enjoyed every one of them from dusk to dawn. When the lake is high, you can go east and see vegitation not seen elsewhere on Oahu and hear song birds from heaven!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,081 times
Good rule of thumb to remember. Would you swim in the lake ? If there is so much sewage in the water that you wouldn't swim in the lake then HELL NO! Don't eat that fish!!!! From what I've read Wahiawa dumps their sewage in the lake. ugh!Side note. Anyone know anything about the Mala St. in Wahiawa. My wife and I are moving to HI (job transfer for her) We found a 3br Quonset house next to the lake on Mala st. but the price seems good to be true. ($1375.00 monthly)

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM

30 posts, read 153,858 times
OK, since I live here, I hiked over to Mala St to check it out. It is an average neighborhood, no better or worse than most of the streets in the older part of town. The quonset huts (12 of them) are arranged like a trailer park at the lake end of the street. The enclave is prominently posted "No trespassing". The enclave is pretty well kept up--grass is cut, no trash around. The cars of the residents were average--no beaters and no new Mercedes. The huts themselves are pretty ugly, but I'm sure you'll find better things to do here than hang around looking at them.

Since it was 0930 Sunday morning, there were no people around for me to question. There are no "For rent" signs on any of the huts, so I cannot give you specific details on the one you are interested in.

The only cause for concern that I noticed was parking. Depending on where your hut is, you may have a bit of a walk from car to hut, which can get to be a drag since we have lots of showers here. Although the parking is certainly limited, there appear to be 2 assigned spaces for each hut. If you have company and need a third space, it's out on the street, possibly a good ways up the street since I noticed a lot of no parking signs in front of the houses adjoining the enclave.

As far as whether the rent is appropriate for the unit, I can't help you with that, since I am not at all familiar with the local market.

If you are seriously interested, I would be willing to make an appointment with the landlord and look the place over on your behalf. If you want me to do this, you can send me a personal message with the details and I'll do it asap. Be sure to prepare a list of questions for me to ask if you have particular areas of concern.

All things told, Wahiawa is certainly not fancy like Waikiki, but I am very comfortable here and plan on staying 'til the last roundup. I got here in April of 08.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,784,196 times
Quote:
If you are seriously interested, I would be willing to make an appointment with the landlord and look the place over on your behalf. If you want me to do this, you can send me a personal message with the details and I'll do it asap. Be sure to prepare a list of questions for me to ask if you have particular areas of concern.
That's right neighborly of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: