Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 01:02 PM

258 posts, read 790,326 times

Advertisements

Hello all I am moving to the army base near Wahiawa in November from Ca. I will be staying with my daughter and husband for 6 months or so trying to care for my health (I have stage 4 cancer). Can anyone tell me about health care in the area? I don't know if I'll be on military medical, I don't think I will, so I am wondering about civilian hospitals, how far are they from this area and how long does it take to drive there? I've heard traffic can be bad there but I'm not sure if it will be in relation to this area.

Thank you for your help
Noelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 AM

No one has ANY information for me? Please?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,894,905 times
Welcome to the Hawaii forum! I live on Maui, so I don't know a thing about Wahiawa. It's only 7:30 AM in Hawaii right now, so if you'd like more info while we wake up, you might try searching the forum using the "Search" feature on the top right of the page. When I entered "Wahiawa," I got 42 results including topics like "Tell me about Wahiawa" and several about the bases there. Healthcare is another topic that is discussed often here, and there should be a wealth of info about it in the archives.

Aloha and best of luck with your move.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:37 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,512,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Hello all I am moving to the army base near Wahiawa in November from Ca. I will be staying with my daughter and husband for 6 months or so trying to care for my health (I have stage 4 cancer). Can anyone tell me about health care in the area? I don't know if I'll be on military medical, I don't think I will, so I am wondering about civilian hospitals, how far are they from this area and how long does it take to drive there? I've heard traffic can be bad there but I'm not sure if it will be in relation to this area.

Thank you for your help
Noelle
I hope you are coping well! As for your questions, there is a small community in Wahiawa town, Wahiawa General Hospital, but they are very limited in what they can treat. Queen's Medical Center and to a lesser exent, Straub Hospital, are the two best hospitals in the state of Hawaii. Queen's can treat any medical condition is the only Level II trauma center in Hawaii. Queen's is located on Punchbowl near Vineyard Blvd. and Straub is located on South King St. at Ward Ave. If there is no traffic, it will take you about 35-40 minutes to Queen's from Schofield Barracks, a little longer to Straub. If there is traffic, more than one hour. Good luck to you!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM

I thank you both very much for your help and apologise for taking so long to say so. I don't often feel up to siting in front of the computer. Thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 08:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
dont know anything about Oahu. i simply want to say that my thoughts are with you and sending you lots of prayers. keep the faith. God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post

Thank you for your help
Noelle

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,340 times
Here is a map showing all the hospitals on Oahu, including military:

hospitals on Oahu - Google Maps

There are many pages of them, but after the first couple of pages, most are repeats, perhaps showing a department of a hospital already listed.

If you click on the name of any hospital, you can get a lot of information about it, including its rating by a hospital rating service, and comments by folks who have used its service.

If you click on the "view larger map" link under the map, you can better see where they all are. As you can see, most of the larger hospitals (including the military hospital, Tripler) are quite a ways from Wahiawa.

I dug into the Wahiawa Hospital info, and discovered that there are two doctors affiliated with it that specialize in Oncology (Cancer treatment).

I wish you the best. Hawaii is a beautiful place, and for some, that beauty can provide comfort, and a positive attitude, which can certainly help in any medical situation.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu