Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times

Advertisements

One thing that sometimes irks me is that people seem to assume that I'm a tourist, maybe because I'm white? Maybe I should get some tatoos or something. I don't think I act obnoxious and no one has treated me bad, the people I've actually met seem to be very friendly and welcoming. But everybody seems a little surprised when they ask if I'm visiting and I say no. Like, at the clinic (where I was sent with my son when he had an earache), and at the grocery store. Do you guys think there is an automatic assumption that a white person is a visitor, until proven otherwise? White people who have moved here, is this your experience?

Maybe it's just that the grocery clerks are just nicer than on the mainland? They are always asking me if I need help finding something. Oh, well, maybe I just look confused, and then there is the fact that I'm always talking to myself while shopping, which might make me seem even more confused.

Oh, well, whatever.

Tomorrow we're going down to the beach to see Santa arrive in a canoe.

Happy Holidays, everybody!! You guys have all made my move to Hawaii so much easier - Mahalos to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You've been there less than a year, no? That is still sorta "tourist" since some of the tourist folks visit for up to six months at a time.

Don't grocery clerks on the mainland help folks find things? Isn't that part of what grocery folks do?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,403 times
Just tripped across this forum today & I'm so glad I have found it!

read this thread & others with great interest.

jumping on the 'white' issue...

My situation is this:I am a white female (dark hair) and my SO is a male Filipino (very dark) that is from and still lives on Oahu. We are working on getting me to live there too.I am interested in comments in regards to mixed race as well as me not being from Hawaii.His family and friends are central and north shore if this helps.

Thank you for any comments and Happy New Year I'm mostly interested is how this is recieved in public.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMoon View Post
I'm mostly interested is how this is recieved in public.
In my opinion, mixed race marriages, relationships and children are received better in Hawaii than anywhere else in the US.

Bottom line: Don't worry!

Hank

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Thank you Hank, it helps to hear that from some other than my SO

and funny... exactly what my SO says "Don't worry!"

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its not the skin tone that sets them off, its the rotten attitude and bad behavior.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 AM

66 posts, read 354,064 times
Default why am I so white and nerdy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMoon View Post
Just tripped across this forum today & I'm so glad I have found it!

read this thread & others with great interest.

jumping on the 'white' issue...

My situation is this:I am a white female (dark hair) and my SO is a male Filipino (very dark) that is from and still lives on Oahu. We are working on getting me to live there too.I am interested in comments in regards to mixed race as well as me not being from Hawaii.His family and friends are central and north shore if this helps.

Thank you for any comments and Happy New Year I'm mostly interested is how this is recieved in public.
My well tanned Chinese Hubby, little hapa baby and I were in Sam's Club tonight and for fun he was counting all the Asian male and White woman couples. He kept LOUDLY whispering, "LOOK over there, there's another one!" I had to keep shushing him so they wouldn't know we were checking them out. There were 6 asian male, white female couples just on the isles we were in. There are a ton of white male, asian female couples on Oahu in general. Also lots of black male, asian female couples too. I'm sure if you sit on a bench in Ala Moana mall and people watch you'll see many different combinations.

Anyways, the whole mixed race couple thing is pretty much the norm. If some wierd guy is staring and pointing at the both of you it's probably just my hubby. The only time hubby and I are ever stared at is in Waikiki where there are alot of Japanese tourists. I don't think race mixing is the norm in Japan so they just look at him, look at very white freckly me, smile at our cute baby and take us in.

You'll be just fine

Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Thank You! that really helps hearing that.

I'm excited that I'll be joining my man on Oahu and I look forward to the day that I can be part of 'the mix'.

peace

Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM

557 posts, read 2,611,062 times
I lived in Honolulu many years ago and look very Anglo. Yes, I ran into some racism--but you can run into discrimination *anywhere* whether it be racial, social, religious, or intellectual! When interviewing for jobs, felt I was discriminated against due to race because they hired "local" women instead of me. Was eventually hired by a predominantly "white" company. Sometimes the locals working as sales clerks in stores refused to acknowledge me. Having shared this, some of my best friends where Chinese/Japanese/Hawaiian Hawaii-born locals! I'd move back if I could afford it. Keep a positive attitude.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,614 times
Default haole is ok!!

I am a haole (white) girl who has lived in Lahain for 1.5 years and in Honolulu for the past 3 years. I have never run into overt racism, but have seen other white people receive it. The major factor? ATTITUDE! The white people I've seen discriminated against are the ones who act like they own the island, that they know everything there is to know about Hawaii. Just be respectful and friendly and you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, you could run into racism anywhere in this great nation of ours. Some people consider the term "haole" to be derogatory, but "Haole Girl" was my nickname from my kumu hula for a long time. If it's not meant in a derogatory way, it shouldn't be taken as such. I wasn't offended; after all, I AM white!! Good luck in Hawaii! (groceries are REALLY expensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu