Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMoon View Post
Just tripped across this forum today & I'm so glad I have found it!

read this thread & others with great interest.

jumping on the 'white' issue...

My situation is this:I am a white female (dark hair) and my SO is a male Filipino (very dark) that is from and still lives on Oahu. We are working on getting me to live there too.I am interested in comments in regards to mixed race as well as me not being from Hawaii.His family and friends are central and north shore if this helps.

Thank you for any comments and Happy New Year I'm mostly interested is how this is recieved in public.

Yes, interracial couples are VERY prevalent in Hawaii, and not just with white people. There are so many different cultures represented over there that it is inevitable that some would join up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,402 times
thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I lived in NYC for years and saw the good, bad & ugly with race issues.
It does happen everywhere.

One of the things I loved about NYC was all the different cultures mixing together... how wonderful and interesting!

But if warms my heart to know that the baseline for interracial couples in Hawaii is open and accepting.

and rude arrogant people get back what they put out, regardless of race!

peace

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
What about raising kids in Hawaii? My son is 7 (and white) - would he have a hard time in the schools? My husband's job may transfer us there and after reading these posts I'm more worried than excited!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
I am SO sad that you have to ask these questions...(will I be ok in hawaii if i'm white)

You sound paranoid. And for that, I think you would have a problem anywhere metro U.S.A.

There have been a lot of great replies, as to how to get along in Hawaii, but heres my opinion..

Please reconsider moving to Hawaii, as I don't feel you would get along there, with such a mixture of cultures. Doesn't sound like you've read anything about Hawaii in the past 10 years or so, other than the hotel brochures.

I am caucasian, I lived there-proudly, and NEVER questioned my place (according to my skin color) I got along better there than I do here on the mainland..
It's what they call ALOHA- you either have it or you don't.

(I hope you aren't considering taking the "temporary" travel RN position as a "vacation", or you will miss what's truley HAWAIIAN...)

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
May sound crazy, I just wanna know that my wife and I wont be looked down upon for being white. We are moving to HI temporarily (a job came along which will allow us to live there for about 6 months), and I have heard that we may not get treated too well being white. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about.

Which island we would feel comfortable, and have no worries?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM

[quote=isaackko;5782251] People from here can spot "mainland attitude" a mile away. Most people dont' like it.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM

96 posts, read 619,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
People from here can spot "mainland attitude" a mile away. Most people dont' like it.
i agree with you 100%, the way you are treated in Hawaii has nothing to do with your race or color etc but rather your attitude. If you act like one you'll be treated like one. As long as you show respect for the people, culture etc. then you'll receive the same, that's da aloha spirit. I too am sad someone had to ask this. I kind of agree that if you're going to go there with that type of negative attitude you probably wont enjoy the trip. Try some better research that doesn't include resort stuff because obviously that isn't an accurate representation of this unique culture. If people who actually live on the islands are telling you there isn't a problem as long as you have an open mind etc. then don't worry about it

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-12-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: watch your language

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM

100 posts, read 335,317 times
so so true - I have been here for almost a month now and have met nothing but very nice, helpful and friendly people. Today I was out walking with my son, trying to find the shopping center. We had taken a wrong turn somewhere and had no idea where were at. We must have looked lost because at the moment we needed it the most, an extremely sweet local lady walked over to us and asked if we needed help getting somewhere. This certainly is not something we would have encountered when we lived on the mainland. Hawaii truly is the aloha state.
Nelli

Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM

23 posts, read 79,897 times
it doesn't matter what color you are it's how you act. if you're nice, friendly, and respectful there shouldn't be any problem. you just might want to steer clear of the "ghetto" areas.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
It's all about attitude people! If you go someplace looking for "beef" you'll find it. I am a Black female and never felt more comfortable than when I lived in Hawaii, and I've lived in DC. My sons love it and my grandson, 8 years old, almost had to go into counselling when we left and he had to confront some of the attitudes by fellow students and teachers here in Texas. He can't wait for us to move back later this year; and neither can I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu