U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 46,976 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're scouting out places on Oahu for our retirement. We know we want suburban living, not the urban jungle on Honolulu. We want affordability and ocean access, two criteria that clash.

One option is Waianae, which seems to be quite affordable. Please tell me what you know about this community, both the good and the bad.

Mahalo!

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM

15 posts, read 84,648 times
Default Afordability? Take everything into concideration

I know some folks who thought they way you did. Waianae is very much affordable when you compare to other areas. They lived there about a year before they moved. House broken into twice while they were at work (by the way ... burglary is the state sport here) They stole their car one just once outside their house. Now you know why they moved. Theft is very prevalent here. Some places are better than others though. You decide.

Not much violent crime here. Killings are rare. Bruddahs get drunk/high - get into an argument and stab each other.

However, as far as theft goes ... the crooks will steel it even if it IS nailed down.

Cheers
Out

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Default crime

Outlook, it sounds like you live there. Thanks for sharing.

Are there other places to consider that are reasonably affordable but not crime-ridden?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM

1,127 posts, read 3,949,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oahu-dreaming View Post
Are there other places to consider that are reasonably affordable but not crime-ridden?
Depends on your definition of "reasonably affordable".

Suggestion:

Put this link in your browser, and put the following towns in the search box, one at a time. You could also put your definition of "reasonably affordable" in the max box:

oahu apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/?SAB=oah - broken link)

Kaneohe, Waialua, Kahaluu, Heeia, Ewa.

When you find something that looks possible, find it on this map, and ask here what the commute will be:

oahu - Google Maps

Hank

Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Ewa

I love the Kaneohe/Kailua area, but it is probably too expensive for us.

Ewa/Ewa Beach/Kapolei prices come closer to what we can afford. I have heard that traffic into Ewa is terrible and that they have the same crime problems that Outlook says plagues Waianae. Your thoughts/

Old 01-01-2009, 12:08 AM

36 posts, read 225,826 times
Waianae is more affordable because it's more remote and feels a little more rough around the edges. Just drive up Farrington Highway towards Waianae to see the tents pitched up on the beaches, the rundown houses, shuttered stores. My impression is that it feels somewhat neglected. I like some parts of the area, the people I've run into are nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. There are some newer housing developments there (like Sea Country) but to me, its still not worth it.

Ewa Beach is more suburban, but it has that traffic bottleneck of having that 1 road (Fort Weaver Rd) going in and out. They're building another H1 offramp to possible alleviate this.

I'd suggest probably giving up the beach access for more comfort, maybe? Kapolei is a nice alternative.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:12 PM

3,794 posts, read 4,901,088 times
If you're retired you should be able to avoid the rush-hour traffic. Agree that Kapolei might be just right. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM

60 posts, read 272,948 times
kapolei or makaha. makaha is as far into waianae as u can get. its somewhat the light at the end of the tunnel. there are two golf courses and some very nice beaches. alot of older folks retire there. there are a few condos in the area...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I'd like to hear even more opinions!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM

134 posts, read 331,574 times
Ewa is really horrible for traffic. Really bad. Sometimes Ft. Weaver is backed up FOR NO REASON at weird times, like 9pm. And you do have to be a little choosy about where you live, because some of the neighborhoods aren't bad, but some are kinda shady.

Waianae. I really don't recommend moving there. I've lived in some low-income areas in my younger years, but I've never seen anything like the transient camps up in Waianae. Most of the stores have bars on the windows. It's just not somewhere I felt comfortable. YMMV.

Kapolei is very nice. Ko Olina is close to a beach, I believe. That doesn't seem too bad either.

Waimanalo...you'd have to find the right area. Hawaii Kai is probably out of your price range if Kailua/Kaneohe are. But keep checking, because every once in a while, you will see a great deal in one of those places. Check out Kaaawa or Punaluu. I don't know what those run, but they're worth looking into.

That's all I got for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu