Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM

70 posts, read 311,791 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Oahu, actually the military is moving us. We're looking into renting a house. What are some good neighborhoods/areas to look in? We're looking for a kid-friendly place. We have 2 boys, 4 & 8 yrs old.
We won't rent anything until we are there and see it in person. Just looking for guidance to good areas so we can get in something asap.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,901,694 times
Oahu isn't that big that you wouldn't be able to check out most of the neighborhoods near the base in person once you get there. You'd want to be close to the base since traffic is ferocious. Some of the military housing is pretty nice, can you get base housing? It would probably be a lot cheaper?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Oahu isn't that big that you wouldn't be able to check out most of the neighborhoods near the base in person once you get there. You'd want to be close to the base since traffic is ferocious. Some of the military housing is pretty nice, can you get base housing? It would probably be a lot cheaper?
Thank you. I've read several of your posts, you are a great help.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM

806 posts, read 2,335,035 times
I would definitely check out Mililani, it's central to everything and has neat shopping centers and a Wal Mart. It's great for kids and its a beautiful well-kept city. Also Kapolei side is nice, but a bit further out of the way. What military base are you going to be serving at?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
I would definitely check out Mililani, it's central to everything and has neat shopping centers and a Wal Mart. It's great for kids and its a beautiful well-kept city. Also Kapolei side is nice, but a bit further out of the way. What military base are you going to be serving at?
Thank you. We'll keep those in mind in case we end up renting. Husband will be stationed at Schofield Barracks.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 AM

432 posts, read 1,304,966 times
ahhh if your husband will be out at schofield then renting in Mililani would be a good choice.

we're over in Kailua.....

Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
We are also moving to Oahu, but we arent military exactly, my husband retired from the army, and is going to be working for the army at schoffield, our kids are grown and on hteir own so it is just the two of us, any advise on where to look? We want to rent a fully furnished apt. 1 bedroom or a studio would be cool.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Ok, so we're here day 4 and loving it. Husband is already talking about extending his time here until he puts in for retirement.
You can apply for Army housing being retired & a gov't worker. I just read an article about it in the post paper last night. (They also offered that at Ft Leonard Wood where we came from.) It may be worth checking into, of course they won't be furnished, but it may be convenient for you. Also, all Army housing isn't "on post". There are various neighborhoods and most seem to be gated w/ security, community center, etc. as if you are on post. You may want to see if you can apply for Navy & Air Force housing as well, they may do the same deal for retirees/DOD/gov't workers. We are able to apply for housing through them as well. It gives you more options. At this point, we are probably going to accept a Navy house we've been shown. From what we've seen, all branches have new, old, and old-renovated homes. So, nobody can say a certain branch has the best housing. It all depends what you are eligible for and what is open or has a short wait list. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in any other way. We are new here, but I'm checking out everything. I'm sure you've read about bringing pets. If you are, start preparing early. I started what I thought was early enough, but missed it by about 2 weeks. Our dog has to spend about 2 weeks in quarantine, but better than 120 days if you don't prepare in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaof3 View Post
We are also moving to Oahu, but we arent military exactly, my husband retired from the army, and is going to be working for the army at schoffield, our kids are grown and on hteir own so it is just the two of us, any advise on where to look? We want to rent a fully furnished apt. 1 bedroom or a studio would be cool.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,472 times
Evelyn1998
I'll be PCSing to Hickam
So did you ship your 2nd car from Ft LW? If so, with which company? I will bring my second car. I'm just trying to determine whether it is worth the time to drive from Colorado to LA because my leave location is in the opposite direction.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM

432 posts, read 1,304,966 times
alot of our friends have used horizon lines to ship their 2nd car back and forth from oahu to the mainland and vice versa with good results. it is who we will use this summer when we pcs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu