Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM

20 posts, read 70,910 times

Advertisements

So I am doing some research about moving to Hawaii before it is time to put in a dream sheet. Fo those of you that live off base/on the economy... where do you live? We are Coast Guard and will be stationed at the ESU which I believe is at ISC Honolulu.

Names of areas/neighborhoods/apartements/duplexes???

Currently it is just the 2 of us and a 75 pound black lab.... I am not sure if we would bring our puppy or not. The idea of flying her scares me.

TYIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Does anyone know about this property???

Kalaeloa

Any info would be awesome!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,306,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgwifey View Post
Does anyone know about this property???

Kalaeloa

Any info would be awesome!!!

ahh old barbers point. we lived out there when it was still a naval air station.

it's pretty far out there.......would your husband be downtown or at the CG station out there?

one thing to remember is that there is alot of traffic heading towards honolulu and if you live out there you'd encounter it in the morning and then when everyone goes home in the evenings.

alot of people (military) I know who lived there eventually left and said they weren't happy living out there....I don't know if it was due to the people maintaining the properties, but kalaeloa and the waterfront properties down in ewa while they seem to be a good deal must not really be.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
ahh old barbers point. we lived out there when it was still a naval air station.

it's pretty far out there.......would your husband be downtown or at the CG station out there?

one thing to remember is that there is alot of traffic heading towards honolulu and if you live out there you'd encounter it in the morning and then when everyone goes home in the evenings.

alot of people (military) I know who lived there eventually left and said they weren't happy living out there....I don't know if it was due to the people maintaining the properties, but kalaeloa and the waterfront properties down in ewa while they seem to be a good deal must not really be.
Dh would be stationed at the ISC Honolulu/Sand Island... since I have never been to HI I have no idea how far anything is from the base. We are just hoping to live on th economy so we can save a little money.

I have been told by some that already live/lived in HI that no matter where you live you will get crime.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM

443 posts, read 2,130,879 times
this may help
CinCHouse - Military Spouse - Military Wives - Military Wife - Military Discussion Board

Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 25,522 times
My husband is USMC, stationed at Kaneohe and we live in Waikele. Yes, it is a hike for him to get over to Kaneohe and me to get to Waikiki in the mornings, but we love the neighborhood we live in. It's very quiet, very safe, and our neighbors are all really helpful. Most of our neighbors are Army-affiliated or older (maybe 50-ish) civilians, and they are all really courteous when it comes to noise. I take the bus back and forth in the mornings so I don't really worry about traffic, and my husband goes in at 5AM and gets off at 230PM, so traffic really isn't all THAT bad.

But... no matter where you live on Oahu, at some point you will have to deal with the traffic. Its just a fact of life here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu