Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 71,013 times

Advertisements

So another concern of mine is flying our 70 pound dog to Hawaii....

We are in Seattle and have found many direct flights but where is my doggy gonna go?

Have you ever flown a dog?

What airline did you use?

Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
There is tons of info posted here on this topic -- including recent success stories (and how-tos), and the pros and cons of flying them in "cargo" (not exactly) v. in-the-cabin charters. Try the "Search" feature/pull-down menu at the top of the page.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
I just did a search using pet and airline as an example for you. Hope it helps. I have the same issues as I have a 75 pound black lab (10 years old) and a cat to ship when we move. Try different search words if you don't find what you need here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=10697078

Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,486 times
There is all sorts of paperwork that can be done ahead of time to avoid the lengthy quarantines. I didn't ship a pet here, but we'll be leaving the island with a pet. I don't remember who you have to contact to get the paperwork started though.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
A 70 lb dog is going to go cargo. I flew 4 parrots and 1 cat out here to Kona on the Big Island, and know many people who have flown dogs, cats, birds etc. The BEST advice to get started is go to the Hawaii Dept of Ag. website, print out all the information pertaining to you, take it to your vet and get started a good 6 or 8 months before you plan to fly the pet. there is no quarrantine, per se, if you follow all the directions for rabies shots, lab work, microchipping, and the 120 day waiting period, which takes the place of a 120 day quarrantine upon arrival. It is complicated, many details to follow, and stressful. Thought I'd lose my ever loving mind when we were going thru it! But, it can be done. Talk to the vet first and then you, and the vet, can call the Dept. of Ag with any questions.

What kind of dog is it? How old is it? General health? These are important considerations to deal with first off. And remember temperature rules for flights; at no point during the trip where ever the animal may land, can the tarmac temp be over 80 degrees (pretty sure it's 80).

Do NOT sedate your animal for the flight. You may need a tranquilizer but they are very dangerous for your animal.

Best wishes on your move and I hope you enjoy your time in Hawaii.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
From Seattle, you'll have a nice non-stop flight. Nothing to worry about.

I flew my 50lb dog on Hawaiian. They were wonderful and took good care of her. I think their restriction is that the pet + carrier must be max of 70lb, though, so that may not be an option for you.

My two kitties came from the east coast on United. They were also great. And Continental has a special pet transport program.

Search the archives for "dogs" or "pets", and you'll find lots of information. But most of all be sure you get started on the department of agriculture import requirements ASAP, so your 70 lb baby doesn't have to be quarantined.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
A 70 lb dog is going to go cargo. I flew 4 parrots and 1 cat out here to Kona on the Big Island, and know many people who have flown dogs, cats, birds etc. The BEST advice to get started is go to the Hawaii Dept of Ag. website, print out all the information pertaining to you, take it to your vet and get started a good 6 or 8 months before you plan to fly the pet. there is no quarrantine, per se, if you follow all the directions for rabies shots, lab work, microchipping, and the 120 day waiting period, which takes the place of a 120 day quarrantine upon arrival. It is complicated, many details to follow, and stressful. Thought I'd lose my ever loving mind when we were going thru it! But, it can be done. Talk to the vet first and then you, and the vet, can call the Dept. of Ag with any questions.

What kind of dog is it? How old is it? General health? These are important considerations to deal with first off. And remember temperature rules for flights; at no point during the trip where ever the animal may land, can the tarmac temp be over 80 degrees (pretty sure it's 80).

Do NOT sedate your animal for the flight. You may need a tranquilizer but they are very dangerous for your animal.

Best wishes on your move and I hope you enjoy your time in Hawaii.
We have a 70 pound black lab. By the time we leave she will be about 2.5 years old. She is a healthy dog and already spayed and microchipped. I am just worried about flying her because most airlines I have checked with online say that the crate and the dog cannot weigh more that 100 pounds.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
From Seattle, you'll have a nice non-stop flight. Nothing to worry about.

I flew my 50lb dog on Hawaiian. They were wonderful and took good care of her. I think their restriction is that the pet + carrier must be max of 70lb, though, so that may not be an option for you.

My two kitties came from the east coast on United. They were also great. And Continental has a special pet transport program.

Search the archives for "dogs" or "pets", and you'll find lots of information. But most of all be sure you get started on the department of agriculture import requirements ASAP, so your 70 lb baby doesn't have to be quarantined.

I have all the paperwork for her to get all her stuff done it is just the airline I am trying to find now.
Shipping Live Animals, Pets - Shipping Your Pet
She is too fat for Hawaiian Airlines

Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM

29 posts, read 111,704 times
Default Hawaiian

Hawaiian Airlines were wonderful with our 3 dogs. Just make sure you have all the paperwork and bloodwork done. Do not sedate your dog. It is dark in that part of the plane and most dogs will just sleep. When I picked my dogs up at the quarantine, they were sitting quietly in their crates like it was "no big deal"

Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 PM

227 posts, read 918,596 times
I flew Hawaiian here with my 2 small dogs and a bird in August and everything was fine. Make sure that when you board the plane to tell someone to inform the pilot that there is live animals on the plane. This way they will turn on the heater below so they don't freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: