Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 31,664 times

Advertisements

I was offered an exempt employee 12 month position in Honolulu (east side)
I am sleep deprived and just generally having a rough day. Im having a hard time thinking straight and Id like to just offer my dilemma up to you guys. Solve it for me cause I dont have the ability to really look at this correctly.

Its 45K. Im single with no children. 2 weeks vacation. Prepaid medical plan
10 days sick leave, 3 personal day
My first thought is, this is not enough time off to visit my family back in my home state. Any extra money Id accumulate (would I even accumulate any?) would go to saving for plan tickets.

I live frugal but Im not going to be in a tent! I want my own kitchen. I dont care how small my place is but I want it to be my own space. Id really like to get a car, it can be a clunker but I want to have one. I want to live decent. Im not looking to borrow money from anyone so tell me, what would my take home be? I did some research and I came up with 40% is taken out. Id like to visit home 4 times a year for at least 5 days each time. Its what I want.

PS I know I can also trade my place when I go out of town but Id like to do this with family and friends so Im not looking to bank money on my living space.

Help me figure this out please, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, start making a list.

1. Rent for a one bedroom apartment with just one person in it: $850? (That's just a sheer guess)
2. Car expenses - insurance, gas, maintenance, parking, etc. $300 a month? (That's just putting a number in there)
3. Are utilities covered by the rent? Cellphone and internet, anyway: $120
4. Food & misc. household stuff - there's a kitchen, so maybe $20 a day? = $600
5. Four annual round trip airline tickets at roughly $600 each prorated at $200 per month to pay for it.
6. Movies, clothes, etc. etc. figure an additional $200 a month?

So, if your take home is roughly $2,250 a month, things should be easy enough. However, these numbers are just sheer guesses, add in the numbers which are more likely the ones you'll be using.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM

117 posts, read 545,232 times
roughly 20% of my paycheck is taken off from all the taxes here

im single,no kids

Last edited by survivorqt; 07-16-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 10:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyI View Post
I am sleep deprived and just generally having a rough day. Im having a hard time thinking straight and Id like to just offer my dilemma up to you guys. Solve it for me cause I dont have the ability to really look at this correctly.

My first thought is, this is not enough time off to visit my family back in my home state. Any extra money Id accumulate (would I even accumulate any?) would go to saving for plan tickets.

I live frugal but Im not going to be in a tent! I want my own kitchen. I dont care how small my place is but I want it to be my own space. Id really like to get a car, it can be a clunker but I want to have one. I want to live decent. Im not looking to borrow money from anyone so tell me, what would my take home be? I did some research and I came up with 40% is taken out. Id like to visit home 4 times a year for at least 5 days each time. Its what I want.

PS I know I can also trade my place when I go out of town but Id like to do this with family and friends so Im not looking to bank money on my living space.

$45K/year doesn't sound like a lot to live halfway comfortably on Oahu but your tastes may allow it. But, taking off 4 times a year to visit family on the mainland for at least 5 days each? I don't know of too many jobs that offer more than 2 weeks vacation time for the first few years let alone the first year. This is the #1 dilemma for people in Hawaii and probably the #1 factor in moving back to the mainland - missing family and not being able to visit as often as desired + the expense of doing so.

along with a heffty income tax deduction for state and Federal, your overall living expenses in Hawaii are amongst the highest. Where are you coming from? NYC or Boston you may not notice so much difference. Midwest, California even, you certainly will.

If you have to scrimp, drive a clunker and live in a studio apartment in a less desirable part of town to live and work there, is this what you really want? Be sure your ticket is an open ended round trip so if you feel like leaving you can. You never know till you try, though so when you feel better, do some intensive research.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Question Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyI View Post

Surely, you can live w/out seeing family on the Mainland for 12 months? By the time you settle in and get adjusted the year will be gone.
Koale

Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
I would suggest getting a 2 bedroom place and forget about going home that often. Trust me, once you live in Hawaii, you will be inundated with family wanting to visit you!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM

23 posts, read 31,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivorqt View Post
roughly 20% of my paycheck is taken off from all the taxes here

im single,no kids
Thank you survivorqt. I found an online tax calculator too.
I am also negotiating with the dates off and things look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu