U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,958 times

Advertisements

My family and I will most likely be moving to Ewa Beach sometime this year. We found a house that we like and that we can afford in Ewa Beach in a newer development, but I have read that the schools in HI are not the greatest. My DH will be working near Ewa Beach and not in Honolulu so we wanted to stay away from there, but it seems like there is nothing in Ewa Beach. The school we are looking into sending our daughter is 30 min away, costco is 30 min away, the church we would attend is 30 min away.
So here is my question is it better to just stay away from Ewa Beach even though we have fallen in love with the houses and the proximity to the beach??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM

5,973 posts, read 9,753,300 times
Well, you go to church about once a week, haven't a clue how often to Costco, is there a bus for the kid to go to school on? Your DH will go to work each day even after your daughter gets out of school, one would think. You like the house/neighborhood and close to beach, BUT it's your call since you are the one who knows your priority list best. Make a list of the trips and consider the pros and cons of the location. Write them out on a list, it will probably become clear.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 PM

13 posts, read 62,861 times
As an Ewa Beach resident, I can say that there are things here. I have only been living here since Jul 08 but I have come to love this area. I have heard that schools are bad in Hawaii too but in Ewa I heard that Holomua and Keoneula Elem are good schools. Keoneula is newer and has a lower student teacher ratio. We have a few restaurants, grocery stores, and fast food places and of course the beaches. As for shopping, you are not that far away from Kapolei and Waikele(outlet mall). It takes us about 15 min to get to Kapolei where the new target, costco and other shops are. Wal-mart is up the road on Kunia. And yes the traffic in and out of Ewa is a pain during rush hour but it is bearable. It's not as bad as it looks. Hopefully this helps.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM

10 posts, read 21,215 times
Default Moving to Ewa Beach

I am moving to Ewa in June. My daughter is having twins they live in Iroquios Point which is nice I have been there two times since she moved there.
I am wondering how the all is going there. Jobs etc. I am hoping to get a part time job there as an Esthetician and then I would love eventually to teach at one of the Esthetics schools( I have been doing this for the past 20 some years)
I am excited and a little scared at the same time been a carolina girl all my life but ready for the change to Island life
Any comments are welcome!!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 AM

134 posts, read 331,040 times
I just moved from Ewa. I wouldn't want to live there again. Ewa itself isn't too bad, and Kapolei, which has restaurants and shopping is close by and you can get there fairly easily. You're also close to Waikele, which has the outlet mall and other retail.

I disliked living in Ewa for several reasons:

1. Everywhere I wanted to go and everything I wanted to do was on either the North Shore or the Windward side of the island. Which meant that anytime I went anywhere, I knew I had at least an hour's drive to look forward to (and that was with no traffic).

2. Traffic. It SUCKED. No, sucked is not even an apt description. Ft. Weaver road is the worst piece of #$% I've ever driven on and is constantly under construction. The H-1 comes next in terms of bad traffic. And trying to come home from The Boat in Kapolei is just as bad, taking the Roosevelt route. I had to plan my entire day around traffic. Once my husband got home from work, we stayed home. No going anywhere at night because rush hour lasts so long, and my husband had to get up at 4:30 because of his commute (but you won't have that problem).

3. I just felt very isolated from the rest of the island. There's really only one way in and out of Ewa, and that's Ft. Weaver/H-1. If there's an accident, you're stuck. If you live on the Windward side, you have three options of getting home.

4. IN MY OPINION, Ewa doesn't have the best to offer in terms of dining, shopping, or pretty much anything. There's a Starmarket, a Foodland, a Long's, some fast food, a Zippy's. You really have to drive anywhere to get anything you want. And you can't drive anywhere for a good chunk of the day due to traffic.

I did love Iroquois Point. We had some great friends there, and that made being stuck at home at night so much better. The beach was right there (literally in our backyard), and I always felt safe walking around. The planes were loud, but it was just part of life.

I really want to move back to Oahu in the near future, but we want to move to the Windward side since it's closer to everything we want to do, and it's an easier commute with more options.

I hope your move goes smoothly and everything works out well for you!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:56 PM

2,244 posts, read 2,270,006 times
This is interesting, because we will be moving back to Oahu this year and I always lived in the Aiea area. I am giving serious thought to the Pu'uola (Iroquois Point) area only because it's a gated area and near the beach. I'm quite familiar with the area and the dreaded Ft. Weaver Road, but because I'm bringing my grandson with me, I felt living out at Iroquois Point, would provide a more family/kids centric environment for him. I also read in the Honolulu Magazine, that Iroquois Point Elementary was ranked fairly high.

As I recall, there is a Home Depot, Wal Mart and other big box stores, movie theaters and restaurants out in Kapolei, which is very nearby. There is also a pretty decent private school that goes from K through 12 and I believe the name is Pacific Academy, but don't hold me to that;

And of course, the rents are less out there, especially Pu'uola, which allows me to save up a little more before I jump back into the home ownership market.

Hope my rambling assisted someone.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,599,014 times
We live in Ewa and if you go through Geiger Rd and Kaplolei (and reverse for the trip home) it can cut considerable time off the commute.

OP- as was mentioned- there are several big box stores which have recently opened in Kapolei and a lot of restaurants. It is a nice area, if your hubby will be working around here it will save a lot on commuting. There are new schools (depending upon their ages and exactly where in Ewa you will be ) but there are many options regarding private schools. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,338 times
this is now Dec 2010 and browsed this forum looking for other opinions about Ewa as I was thinking about moving there...now I know what bothered me about the town there is nothing there.....will try Kapolei or Mililani......I am relocating from CT.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 PM

117 posts, read 334,208 times
i live in ewa, ocean pointe, and there really is "nothing" here, you have to drive to kapolei(10min) or elsewhere, atleast 10 minutes, for good stores/restaurants.

there is a planned giant shopping center,Laulani village, that got delayed too many times due to the economy. now they're giving us a 2012 opening date, but who knows...

Restaurants and stores WANT to open up an Ewa location but they cant because the only retail and restaurant space thats availiable is at the Laulani Village, and the developers are holding out till the economy improves

***and they did widen ft weaver road so there is no more "ewa traffic"

Last edited by survivorqt; 12-22-2010 at 12:18 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 69,944 times
Would Royal Kunia or Village Park be a better alternative as far as traffic, schools, and things to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu