U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM

8 posts, read 22,782 times

Advertisements

In my experience, I've never been in a home in Hawaii that didn't have a roach/many roaches. As clean and spotless as the house can be, it has nothing to do with cleanliness. It's because most homes in Hawaii aren't built like on the mainland, they're not capable of keeping out the bugs.

The only way to have a bug free home is with a newer home that's completely sealed like how the houses are built in order to keep in/out the elements (ie to keep in heat during the winter and AC during the summer). So if your home isn't completely sealed, your efforts in getting rid of the roaches will be fruitless. You'll just be wasting money and lot of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,242 times
This makes me not want to go to Hawaii and go to schools out there

Old 09-24-2011, 04:37 PM

271 posts, read 456,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineo View Post
For those little roaches, boric acid powder works. You spread it behind the stove etc, in places where kids and pets can't get to it.
The Harris Famous Roach Tablets- Boric acid tablets, are super! A 4 oz box of approximately +100 tablets may be at most drugstores. They have "lure' in a semi soft tablet that attracts roaches, silver fish, etc and they take portions back to the nest, and all eat, and die. I used them for years in S Florida . I initially leased a place on the beach at Ft Lauderdale and it had cockroaches. The tablets got rid of them in a week. Put a few in drawer wells, under refrigerators, sinks, behind ovens, and mash tablets into crevices. They are very economical and work like a champ! Harris Pest Control Products since 1922, Roach Tablets, Ant Killer, Bed Bug Killer, Stink Bug Killer and Plumbing Drain products 800-637-0317 Jacksonville Fl. is on the box. Keep away from pets, kids, and avoid eye contact or food stuffs.
The site has many places listed that sell them or also on line.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 AM

271 posts, read 456,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigiendo View Post

With respect. I urge you to learn first aid. Learn about insects. Learn HOW to survive if you are ever isolated w/o aid nearby. Educate YOU to be a survivor. It is only learning. NO one knows when they may need to be 100% self sufficient. You must do it for YOU and any loved ones in the future. Our ancestors did, you are here because, "they did". Truly, fear and concern comes from only a lack of knowing, that is all. You have a brain and it makes you 100% capable of dealing with anything. YOU are strong, so make yourself have the skills to do anything you may ever need. It is a tool set that waits for the time to be used, that is all. I believe you can do it, and so do you. What are you waiting for? Peace.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,072,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigiendo View Post

There are minor annoyances and dangers everywhere. I'd pick the roaches out here over the occasional copperhead snake I used to encounter back in Missouri any day!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM

64 posts, read 128,534 times
Cockroach problem? In hawaii? Nah! I loled at this thread...

Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,007,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
...What likes to eat dose pesky cockaroaches, not da geckos, no ways, dose mo'o's get no chance already!!!! How many times you see one gigantirific cockaroach go flyin by, wit aftaburners on, an holding one little keiki gecko??????? PLENNY TIMES!!!!!!! IS LIKE ONE TRAGEDY!!!!!!! Poor little gecko, all innocent, juss tryin fo sell insurance fo heavens sake, so, what you goin do????????
I loled so hard at this part. poor keiki geckos.. hahaha

aloha

Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,007,082 times
I guess I'll attempt to be helpful too and post what little tips I have.

We had somewhat of a roach problem when we first moved into our apartment (I say somewhat because it wasn't nearly as bad as some stories I've heard but I was pretty horrifying to me) and the landlord paid to get the whole place professionally sprayed. We also use the gel birth control, traps, AND spray the edges of the apartment once a month. On top of that (this part we've been doing since day one) we do not leave a morsel of food out. Every single thing is in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container even if its in the fridge. Once the original package has been opened (peanut butter, crackers, cereal, leftovers from a restaurant, ANYTHING) it goes into some kind of tightly sealed container. The only thing that's left out is our trash which is a very tiny (bathroom size) trash can that we take out once a week. And as I've said before we still see one every once in a while so its just something you have to deal with. It still scares me and i hate it, but I'm still alive and I love living in Maui so, that's your choice to make if you are willing to do that amount of work to minimize them in your place.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,231,499 times
Umm... y'do realize that any variety of insecticide you use will kill or mutate cells in your body too, right? Can you spell cancer?

If the insect isn't poisonous, whack it dead! If the insect, rodent, arachnoid, or lizard *is* poisonous, first trap it and then whack it dead!

No room for pacifism when it comes to uninvited guests.

BTW, those sonic thingies do a great job of keeping all manner of nasties out of your house. Too bad they slowly farkle your central nervous system too.

Cockroaches, centipedes, millipedes, carpenter ants, fire ants, no-see-ums, mosquiotos, deer flies and all their cousins, giant moths, beetles, mice, RATS, BATS, all kinds of spiders, including black widows, brown recluse etc., bears that'll break and enter just to peruse your garbage and then get ticked because they can't find the exit route... yeah, on balance, I doubt that Hawai'i is any more challenging than living here in the mountains.

I'll NEVER get comfortable with RATS and BATS though. I hate 'em!

Mahrie.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,461 times
Cockroaches are a fact of life in the Hawaiian Islands. Don't feel bad if you find them in your kitchen or bathroom. It doesn't mean you're a slob. You can be the cleanest person on earth and they will still find a way in. But don't neglect to act. If you do, they can seriously infect your living space. If putting out boric acid doesn't kill them, call an exterminator. Be very careful with boric acid, as others have noted, keep your pets and children away from it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu