U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM

10,467 posts, read 13,718,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEmDanielle View Post
Cockroaches are a fact of life in the Hawaiian Islands. Don't feel bad if you find them in your kitchen or bathroom. It doesn't mean you're a slob. You can be the cleanest person on earth and they will still find a way in.
If you are about to rent - ask the landlord if their has been cockroaches in the unit. Try to look under the fridge, behind the stove, etc. If you are buying a condo, ask the owner, have them put in writing they don't have a cockroach problem. Renters and condo owners are more prone to cockroaches than owners of a single family home because you don't always control your own destiny. Usually the association will solicit owners to have individual units sprayed on a periodic basis - it is well worth the money.

If you own a single family home - invest in screens for the windows and lanai doors if you already don't have them. If you still have a problem - eliminate the source and get professional help so you can find and eliminate where they are coming in. I see cockroaches all the time outside my house and they'd love to come inside and hang out - and except for one that followed me inside and was quickly eliminated, I've never had an issue anywhere I've lived.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,788,651 times
Eh, hate cockroach problem. Wondering when get stuff back eh?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:52 PM

9,396 posts, read 12,283,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaiasillo View Post
i've been hearing that they kind of run rampant in some parts of the island since the climate is so ideal for them to thrive.

my boyfriend recently went apartment scouting in honolulu and ended up getting a place on ena road... its about 4 blocks from waikiki beach. he's been telling me that he didnt notice them at first but now he's noticing them in the cabinets and in the sink. after asking a few people at his job, they have been telling him its kind of a problem that everyone seems to just "deal with." kind of like a small price to pay for living in paradise.

do you think this is just because we are living in the city? perhaps higher in the mountains or on the outskirts the problem will be less evident? just curious what others who live on the island have to say about this subject...

by the way, i'm talking about the normal small guys not the huge scary flying kind.

thanks!
The huge scary flying kind are actually preferable because you can hear them moving around, therefore you can locate and squash them. The smaller kind are actually a lot harder to deal with (tenting). Welcome to Hawaii. You'll get used to it.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 AM

24 posts, read 30,265 times
Old thread I know, just thought I would share my experience and help others out.
We had a bit of a roach problem a while back, it's those tiny little german roaches, not the big flying ones. The thing about those itty bitty german cockroaches is they're not just attracted to food and grease in kitchen, they're really attracted to water and moisture too, matter of fact we didn't see too many of them in the kitchen which we always keep real clean, but we had quite a few wandering in the downstairs half-bath. Boric acid didn't work, neither did the chalk thingie, and they're somewhat immune to the regular household spray, we even smoke-bombed the bathroom a couple of times, and they would always come back in a couple of days. The only thing that really worked for us was Advion gel bait, you can find that stuff on amazon. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 5,198,239 times
Jeez Louise! I have never seen a single cockroach in any apartment or home I've ever lived in. Not one! I've seen them in restaurants (that I never have returned to), but not my residences. I guess California isn't too "buggy".

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM

12,971 posts, read 24,957,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoa_quesadilla View Post
The thing about those itty bitty german cockroaches is they're not just attracted to food and grease in kitchen, they're really attracted to water and moisture too, matter of fact we didn't see too many of them in the kitchen which we always keep real clean, but we had quite a few wandering in the downstairs half-bath.
They also LOVE corrugated cardboard, so they are often a problem in garages and storage closets too. They feed on the glue that is used to make the cardboard, and the paper is ideal nesting/breeding material for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I guess California isn't too "buggy".
No, compared to the tropics it's not. The combination of high temperatures and humidity and absence of predators or winter dieback means that all kinds of bugs prosper in Hawai'i. This creates problems for homeowners, businesses, gardeners and farmers in Hawai'i on a greater scale than is typically experienced on the mainland. It's one of the reasons that pesticides are so heavily used in local farming.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM

3,368 posts, read 5,198,239 times
I'm a big baby about stuff getting in my house. My brother lived in the South and I visited him in late May/early June once (pretty warm and humid). Damn bugs everywhere! I told him I didn't know how he could stand it and he just laughed at me.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM

181 posts, read 231,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Jeez Louise! I have never seen a single cockroach in any apartment or home I've ever lived in. Not one! I've seen them in restaurants (that I never have returned to), but not my residences. I guess California isn't too "buggy".
All of your cockroaches have been sent to Sacramento.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 49,318 times
I've read that cedar oil can be used as a chemical free pesticide -- has anyone tried that?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,795,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
They also LOVE corrugated cardboard, so they are often a problem in garages and storage closets too. They feed on the glue that is used to make the cardboard, and the paper is ideal nesting/breeding material for them.

No, compared to the tropics it's not. The combination of high temperatures and humidity and absence of predators or winter dieback means that all kinds of bugs prosper in Hawai'i. This creates problems for homeowners, businesses, gardeners and farmers in Hawai'i on a greater scale than is typically experienced on the mainland. It's one of the reasons that pesticides are so heavily used in local farming.
If the only problems you got are cockroaches, life is purty good! Now the ones that hold public office... not sure what to do about them!!

One thing I know is that as much as I LOVE books, I always bought paperback books in Hawaii. Hard cover books have a huge neon light on them that say, "Come one, come all, come eat da glue!" to the cockroaches. I would pull a favorite book off the shelf and the only thing that came off the shelf was the cover. The insides of the book were still sitting on the shelf!

As much as geckos can be a PIA, I allowed them to live in the house, too. They eat cockroaches and mosquitoes, so I just got used to covering up my clothes on the hangers and checking behind hanging pictures on the walls. We had a lovely old style Hawaii house that was up above the ground, had louvers everywhere and no AC or Heating. Who needs it? We had enough country around us that we could rest peacefully at night with the sound of the water and the critters moving around in the bushes. That meant we just accepted there would be bugs of one sort or another. Small price to pay for that kind of paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csassie View Post
I've read that cedar oil can be used as a chemical free pesticide -- has anyone tried that?
Cassie - as far as chemical-free, the gel I mentioned in my first post isn't too bad. You don't touch it and it doesn't put off a lot of chemicals. It's birth control, essentially, so it just keeps them from reproducing - which cockroaches seem to do about 100 times a day!

As far as oils go (I've been working with aromatherapy for 30 years and use it quite often...) Oils from different plants have been used for centuries for many different things. Some of the pharmaceutical drugs on the market were created by trying to imitate the properties of aromatherapy oils from plants. Oils are volatile, though, which means they can lose potency if not handled properly, if heated, or if they weren't made of the best materials to begin with.

Cedar oil is best used for ticks. If your dog or cat has a tick, you can put one drop of cedar oil on the little buggah and it will let go. Then you can pull it off your animal safely and dispose of it. It's not all that useful for cockroaches.

You could make a mixture of citronella, cypress, peppermint and lemongrass* to repel them. Any one of those by themselves may get rid of some of them. Send me a DM and I'll give you a recipe. Be careful when mixing oils, some people are highly sensitive to different scents. A little goes a long way - so don't get carried away. Try one drop of each first and see what happens. Go very light on citronella, it's strong stuff! (* That's a mixture scientists in Thailand put together that had good results in repelling cockroaches. They also used citrus hystrix oil, which is not always easy to find.)

Citronella oil also keeps mosquitoes away. But it's very strong and just because it's "natural" doesn't make it all that safe to use with bare hands, around kids or dogs. You can buy the citronella candles and torches as well as the little incense circles to burn out on the patio. But please handle citronella carefully and always wash your hands after touching all those products. Some people develop a reaction to it. Problem with citronella is it attracts bears! (yes not a big problem in Hawaii... but don't use it if you are camping at Yellowstone!)

Peppermint oil will keep mice and other rodents away. It has been known to work on some types of cockroaches, but not all. It is such a strong smell that it messes up their sense of direction. I have put peppermint tea bags in the corners of my closets where mice might try and get in. You can buy peppermint oil online or at a health food store. DM me for suppliers.

Send me a DM if you want more info.

Mostly what we do in Hawaii is just live with the knowledge that something other than humans live there too. If you don't freak out and don't take it personally, you'll feel a lot better. Like I said, they aren't going anywhere (except maybe to your neighbors if you take some precautions!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu