Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 94,859 times

Advertisements

How livable would 54k be in Oahu for a single guy. I am contemplating applying for the Honolulu PD. I will be 23 by the time of the application. The first 6 months I would have to commute to Waipahu and work 8-5 so I would have to deal with rush hour. But, after that, the shifts seem to be worked around rush hour, so I wouldn't be too worried about traffic after that. I've visited Oahu many times before and really liked Mililani Town and it seems decently affordable now. I most likely will be looking at sharing a rental with other people for a year or so, but I was really wondering how feasible it would be for me to actually afford to buy a condo after the 1st year or 2 and then eventually maybe 10-15 years down the line own a house (granted that I advance in rank and have yearly step income gains)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
It is perfectly feasible to live here on that salary. I have many cousins who are HPD and they more than survived on the starting pay (WITH families).

Mililani is a nice area, but if you will be at the Waipahu office you may wish to consider Kapolei or Ewa as well as Mililani. Rents are not bad- and the starting salary will be just fine as long as you are not the type to blow all of your pay on payday weekend in Waikiki.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM

If anyone knows, how open is Honolulu PD to hiring mainlanders?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey19 View Post
If anyone knows, how open is Honolulu PD to hiring mainlanders?
I know a mainlander who was hired by the PD. He said the process was the same as getting hired at any other police department on the mainland with the exception that they want to see some stability on the islands. The cost to hire a recruit and train them is high so they really want to make sure your not some escapee to paradise that will be leaving after they invest money into you.
Its that way for many jobs, stability and longevity on the island is important to an employer. I'm sure we all know people who moved to "paradise" and was planning to stay forever but a year later, they are packing and heading home. Many think locals get the jobs because they are locasl, but they get the job because the employer knows they aren't going anywhere quick and the investment is worth it.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I had a chat with my dad about the same issue. We have a plan that if I don't get hired right away by HPD, I will move anyway and go to grad school at either Chaminade or Manoa. Hopefully then, when I am out of grad school, they will see that I am committed to staying.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey19 View Post
Thanks for the info. I had a chat with my dad about the same issue. We have a plan that if I don't get hired right away by HPD, I will move anyway and go to grad school at either Chaminade or Manoa. Hopefully then, when I am out of grad school, they will see that I am committed to staying.
That would be a great option for you. Why don't you go to grad school first anyway before joining HPD? This would increase your promotability in the department and would give you an advantage over others once you gain the experience!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM

That is an option. Which is the more reputable school? I am a Sociology Major, and I know Manoa has a Sociology Masters program with an emphasis in Crime, Law and Deviance. Chaminade does not have a masters program in sociology, but they have one in Criminal Justice Administration with Homeland Security Leadership Development.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM

any help?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
is hpd still recruiting?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Just Reserves right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu