Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Roa Roa started this thread

10 posts, read 38,914 times

Advertisements

The wife and I will be moving to the Honolulu area from Los Angeles in early August and, since we have a lot of newer things, we're planning to ship about 300cu.ft. worth of stuff. I got a quote from ABF for a ReloCube, which seems the perfect size and convenient because they pick up and drop it off at residence for a reasonable price. The overall price is pretty steep for us, though, at $2500.

Would it be a lot cheaper to do pallets/Van Packs? A lot less convenient?

Anyone tried uShip bidding?

One problem is we are planning on finding a place to live within about two weeks after arriving, so we've no residence til we do. ABF will hold our stuff for 30 days for about $100, but I don't know about the other options.

For our little car; which company to go with: Horizon, Pasha, or Matson? Pasha will let us drop it off closer to our home here. Has anyone shipped with them? Recommended?

Last edited by Roa; 05-08-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,274 times
Im trying to get quotes on containers from NY to Hilo
not having to much luck but im not in a real hurry yet

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,366 times
I moved here just about a year ago. I shipped my car with Pasha (dropped off in San Diego), and had a great experience. I had trouble doing the online registration so I called. They were super helpful, and they took care of everything. The drop-off process was a breeze, as was pickup. No complaints at all.

I also used ABF, though my household stuff was coming from the east coast not LA (so it was a lot more expensive). I shopped around quite a bit, and it was the cheapest option I found for the amount of stuff we were shipping. I also was really pleased with them. Stuff arrived when they said it would. Everything was simple. The cube got picked up promptly both from our packing location (full) and from our new place (empty).

Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,274 times
How much were the containers? Im in NY so it will be almost the same.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Roa Roa started this thread

10 posts, read 38,914 times
Thanks newUHprof.
Would you trust a like-new (upright) piano in a ReloCube?

I'm a Fall 09 incoming grad student for UH at Manoa.
So much to do before August!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM

25 posts, read 385,567 times
You might want to check out some van pack/Pack and Ship store prices to see if they can combine shipping your vehicle with the rest of your stuff and maybe send it all together.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,366 times
@KoaKine, I think our quote was something like $4700 for one cube and $7500 for two. One nice thing about ABF -- they will deliver as many cubes to your location as you want. You fill them, and they only charge you for what you fill & use. We had two delivered, but we could get everything we cared about in one of them and just sold & gave away the rest rather than packing the second one up.

@Roa: not sure about the piano. We packed some stuff we cared about -- expensive wine cabinet, dining room set. Everything made it fine. (Everything not in boxes got wrapped in quilts and packed very very carefully, so that noting could move or wobble at all.) But pianos are much more sensitive to movement, temperature, humidity... I don't know enough about how the cube is treated en route to think it would be OK. All of my stuff... I just didn't want it to break or get really dinged up.

Hey, what department will you be in? Congrats on going to grad school. It's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: