Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 56,325 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the rules are in Hawaii as far as having your dog at a beach. Are there any beaches that will allow you to have your dog off his leash? What are some good beaches to take your dog to and what are their policies?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM

203 posts, read 1,357,723 times
Don't know off hand, but found this:

Beaches Where Dogs Are Allowed And Banned - Island Pets News Story - KITV Honolulu (http://www.kitv.com/islandpets/3639278/detail.html - broken link)

Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM

203 posts, read 1,357,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPrigge View Post
I am wondering what the rules are in Hawaii as far as having your dog at a beach. Are there any beaches that will allow you to have your dog off his leash? What are some good beaches to take your dog to and what are their policies?

Thanks.
Are you going to be moving to Oahu?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPrigge View Post

Thanks.
Please tell us that before you worry about this, you've done all the Dept. of Agriculture procedures to prevent quarantine?

Just a thought.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM

72 posts, read 346,695 times
Interesting and thanks for the article. Does anyone know what the other islands policies towards dogs on the beach are. I have seen dogs on the beach on Maui, Kauai and the Big Island but I was not sure if they were "legal".

Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 56,325 times
Yes, I am moving to Hawaii in September and I have completed everything needed to qualify for direct release at the airport. He is a very well behaved Boston Terrier who loves to play fetch, so I was wondering if I will be able to do that at any of the beaches.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
I don't know about downtown, but you can take them basically anywhere else. Yeah, a lot of places will have signs that say no animals, along with no camping and no alcoholic beverages, and there's people living in tents, drinking beer, so no one cares.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM

21 posts, read 86,642 times
We live in Kailua and we take our dog to the beach almost everyday. She has lots of dog buddies down at the beach also. It's like a social event every morning and around 5:00 pm. We keep her on a leash, but many folks with well behaved dogs, take them off the leash to run around in the water. My doggie can be a little ill-tempered with puppies that like to jump all over her, so for that reason, we keep her leashed. Plus, as much as she likes the beach, she hates the water.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
If you take your dog to the beach, take a gallon+ jug of water for him. Teach him how to drink from it as you slowly pour it out, or carry a small water bowl with you as well. I semi-freeze the gallon jugs of water before we go out to play.
My black lab is a frisbee dog and believe me, she needs a lot of water when chasing down frisbees in the sun. Also make sure that you don't let them overheat. Dogs that love to retrieve are easily overworked because its' in their nature to continue "working" until they are overly exhausted. I also setup a small umbrella in the dog park to provide shade and make her take mandatory breaks to recover.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
When I bring my border collie over there I am going to have to leash him because he thinks he is a lab and loves the water. He will jump off any cliff dock rock whatever to get in... there allot of beaches - waves I know he can't handle! Over here waves and log jams he doesn't fear! Yep been drinking off the bottle for a while though! The dog!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: