Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 95,845 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, just wanted to post about my experience with moving from the East Coast to Honolulu for work. Decided to ship a few of my things as freight, because I didn't have enough stuff that I wanted to bring that would justify the price of using one of the ABF U-pack pods (quote was about $5000). I had to pack it all myself and bring it to a shipping hub in boxes. As for my bike, I decided to bring it to a bike shop (where I originally bought it) and "paid" to have it packed with a large pizza and a couple of sodas. I could only ship relatively small things, so I plan to buy any large furniture pieces (e.g., mattresses, sofas, bookcases) once I get there using craigslist and perhaps word-of-mouth--who knows.

It was more than $800 higher to ship my car from the East Coast so I decided to drive it to the West Coast and ship directly with Matson. But my windshield got damaged along the way so fixing that before I brought my car to Matson was $250.

Shipped a couple of boxes of books/CDs/DVDs to a friend via media mail a few weeks ago.

So tomorrow I'll be on a plane with two checked suitcases and one roll-aboard...can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra23 View Post
..... But my windshield got damaged along the way so fixing that before I brought my car to Matson was $250. ....
Sorry to hear about that.

My wife's car's windshield got broke this week. Have to get it fixed yet this week as we leave on Sunday to drive to the Oakland port! I keep having this fear of having it broken along the way...

Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Yeah it's frustrating when bad luck comes your way! Well, one piece of advice I have is don't use a windshield middleman service. Basically I found some place online called Zipglass, but they weren't the ones who actually fix the windshield--they contract with the person who does the job. And so do car dealerships; the dealer doesn't repair glass, they call someone else. So, if you can, find a person/company that does the windshield repairs and replacements, because that's who will be working on your car anyway and it's got to be cheaper. I didn't understand that this is how glass gets fixed until I met the guy who replaced my windshield. Also, they say you can't drive the car for two hours after a windshield replacement so keep that in mind for when you schedule that service.

Haha I just read my first post and it sounds like I'm planning on buying several sofas and beds and such . But I just need a place to sleep and some sort of thing to sit down on. Not several iterations of furniture that serve the same purpose.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Did you already rent an apartment or did you go with a vacation rental?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM

39 posts, read 141,111 times
Default hadn't thought about windshield damage

Md and 3 boys-is Oakland a better airport to fly from than LAX? I know you have talked about the price from Richmond Port to Oakland. I looked up this today too as my daughter may travel with me from Tn to west coast to ship car, then fly her back to nashville.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 70,684 times
Nice! Let us know how your trip goes, hopefully smoothly! Hopefully we will be joining you soon.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM

217 posts, read 640,334 times
can't wait to hear how everything goes once you get moved in!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 AM

I rented an apartment prior to leaving for Hawaii...it was tough because I was dealing with an individual condo owner not a management company. It was complicated by having to deal with multiple family members of the actual owner. I hadn't been prepared for any of this. I don't think there's a "right" way to find housing when you're moving from the mainland. For some who are looking for the perfect fit with their housing choice, maybe it's best to start with a vacation rental for temporary housing. However, for me it was better to feel like I had an apartment (with the uncertainty that maybe someone would change their mind as my contract was in the mail), instead of the uncertainty of arriving without a place to live. Just do what's best for you.

Well, I stayed a couple of days with my sister, then was able to move in to my apartment. My stuff got here early, but no car yet. I've seen 3 roaches in my kitchen, yuck. After talking to several people, I learned about as many different ways to attack this problem. So I'm cleaning off the counters and plugging the drains now, every night.

People say it's "dry" now. To me, this is humid! Not as humid as east coast summers, though, not even close. Actually, it's pretty comfortable. Nights are cool. I hope the nights don't get any colder because I don't have heat!

Yeah the stuff in stores seems to be more expensive but I imagine that soon enough I'll get the hang of how to shop frugally and be efficent at it. Costco had a good deal on milk ($3.79--I believe, and definitely less than $4). Foodland had a case of soda on sale for $6 (and their cheapest gallon of milk, I believe, was $6...might have overlooked a cheaper one??).

Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 AM

117 posts, read 545,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra23 View Post
I rented an apartment prior to leaving for Hawaii...it was tough because I was dealing with an individual condo owner not a management company. It was complicated by having to deal with multiple family members of the actual owner. I hadn't been prepared for any of this. I don't think there's a "right" way to find housing when you're moving from the mainland. For some who are looking for the perfect fit with their housing choice, maybe it's best to start with a vacation rental for temporary housing. However, for me it was better to feel like I had an apartment (with the uncertainty that maybe someone would change their mind as my contract was in the mail), instead of the uncertainty of arriving without a place to live. Just do what's best for you.

Well, I stayed a couple of days with my sister, then was able to move in to my apartment. My stuff got here early, but no car yet. I've seen 3 roaches in my kitchen, yuck. After talking to several people, I learned about as many different ways to attack this problem. So I'm cleaning off the counters and plugging the drains now, every night.

People say it's "dry" now. To me, this is humid! Not as humid as east coast summers, though, not even close. Actually, it's pretty comfortable. Nights are cool. I hope the nights don't get any colder because I don't have heat!

Yeah the stuff in stores seems to be more expensive but I imagine that soon enough I'll get the hang of how to shop frugally and be efficent at it. Costco had a good deal on milk ($3.79--I believe, and definitely less than $4). Foodland had a case of soda on sale for $6 (and their cheapest gallon of milk, I believe, was $6...might have overlooked a cheaper one??).
a 12 pack of pepsi is usually on sale for 4 bucks

Old 06-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Sorry for the ambiguity...a case of soda cans (in my past experience) refers to a 24-pack. So, 24 cans for $6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu